From: ············@rock.com
Subject: My first Lisp contract
Sorry for *spamming* your board ,  i'm a newbie
and using this newsgroup for reading purposes only.
I just wanted to tell you that i got my first Lisp
contract doing a warehouse application .
The sweetest thing is that i won it over a Java
cough-cough master. Oh he was so pumped  when we got the spec,
but i show the my proto' this Monday  and three days
afterwards he still got nada. Probably he's still
writing the classes , in the mean time my Postgre
stores more than a 200 MBs and still growing, growing .
Oh you would probably kill me if you see the mess i wrote
but it's working  , it's working .
At least for now  .
I'm expecting all data transfered by Saturday more than
a 5 GBs so i could do some testing with a full workload
it should serve 14 PCs .

Long live Common Lisp , long live Postgre.

Yessi

From: Joe Marshall
Subject: Re: My first Lisp contract
············@rock.com writes:

> Sorry for *spamming* your board ,  i'm a newbie
> and using this newsgroup for reading purposes only.
> I just wanted to tell you that i got my first Lisp
> contract doing a warehouse application .

Congrats!

> The sweetest thing is that i won it over a Java
> cough-cough master. Oh he was so pumped  when we got the spec,
> but i show the my proto' this Monday  and three days
> afterwards he still got nada. Probably he's still
> writing the classes , in the mean time my Postgre
> stores more than a 200 MBs and still growing, growing .
> Oh you would probably kill me if you see the mess i wrote
> but it's working  , it's working .
> At least for now  .
> I'm expecting all data transfered by Saturday more than
> a 5 GBs so i could do some testing with a full workload
> it should serve 14 PCs .
>
> Long live Common Lisp , long live Postgre.

Please keep us up to date, we like hearing about people winning with
Lisp.
From: Ramza Brown
············@rock.com wrote:
> Sorry for *spamming* your board ,  i'm a newbie
> and using this newsgroup for reading purposes only.
> I just wanted to tell you that i got my first Lisp
> contract doing a warehouse application .
> The sweetest thing is that i won it over a Java
> cough-cough master. Oh he was so pumped  when we got the spec,
> but i show the my proto' this Monday  and three days
> afterwards he still got nada. Probably he's still
> writing the classes , in the mean time my Postgre
> stores more than a 200 MBs and still growing, growing .
> Oh you would probably kill me if you see the mess i wrote
> but it's working  , it's working .
> At least for now  .
> I'm expecting all data transfered by Saturday more than
> a 5 GBs so i could do some testing with a full workload
> it should serve 14 PCs .
>
> Long live Common Lisp , long live Postgre.
>
> Yessi

Cool, I want to use Lisp for Enterprise applications.  Actually I want
to use it for everything.  How did you do the database interaction?  FFI?
From: Robert Uhl
Ramza Brown <············@gmail.com> writes:

> Cool, I want to use Lisp for Enterprise applications.  Actually I want
> to use it for everything.  How did you do the database interaction?
> FFI?

I don't know how _he_ did it, but CLSQL support Postgres via local
socket or the network; no FFI needed (or if there is, CLSQL takes care
of it).

Democracy consists of choosing your dictators, after they've told you what
you think it is you want to hear.                             --Alan Coren
From: ·············@hotmail.com
Robert Uhl wrote:
> Ramza Brown <············@gmail.com> writes:
> >
> > Cool, I want to use Lisp for Enterprise applications.  Actually I want
> > to use it for everything.  How did you do the database interaction?
> > FFI?
>
> I don't know how _he_ did it,
I believe it's SHE  .

YESSENIA
Gender: Feminine
Usage: Spanish
Extra Info: Popularity, Related Names
Possibly a Spanish form of JESSENIA
http://www.behindthename.com/php/view.php?name=yessenia
From: ·············@hotmail.com
Robert Uhl wrote:
> Ramza Brown <············@gmail.com> writes:
> >
> > Cool, I want to use Lisp for Enterprise applications.  Actually I want
> > to use it for everything.  How did you do the database interaction?
> > FFI?

I bet on CLSQL .
From: Ramza Brown
·············@hotmail.com wrote:
> Robert Uhl wrote:
>
>>Ramza Brown <············@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>>Cool, I want to use Lisp for Enterprise applications.  Actually I want
>>>to use it for everything.  How did you do the database interaction?
>>>FFI?
>

> I bet on CLSQL .

Will This work on MySQL?
From: ·············@hotmail.com
Yes it will .
http://clsql.b9.com/

From: Edi Weitz

  <http://www.justfuckinggoogleit.com/search.pl?query=clsql>

--

Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.

From: Ramza Brown
Edi Weitz wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 08:19:49 -0400, Ramza Brown <············@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>·············@hotmail.com wrote:
>>

>>>   I bet on CLSQL .
>>
>>Will This work on MySQL?
>

>   <http://www.justfuckinggoogleit.com/search.pl?query=clsql>

Calm down.  I am sure there is a link, but like the two Bob's from
office space said:
"Could you tell us a little more"

"Does MySQL work with lisp"

That is like a softball question in an interview, I was looking for any
experiences with the software good or bad.

--
Ramza from Atlanta
http://www.newspiritcompany.com
From: Robert Uhl
Ramza Brown <············@gmail.com> writes:

> "Does MySQL work with lisp"
>
> That is like a softball question in an interview, I was looking for
> any experiences with the software good or bad.

CLSQL works well with MySQL, but to be frank I'd discourage it;
PostgreSQL is just as free and rather more capable.

SCSI is _not_ magic.  There are fundamental technical reasons why it is
necessary to sacrifice a young goat to your SCSI chain now and then.
                                                --Daniel M. Drucker
From: ········@gmail.com
Actually postgres is much more free then mysql, read  the licences
especially the client libs that you link your code against.

marc
From: ············@rock.com
Ramza Brown wrote:
> Cool, I want to use Lisp for Enterprise applications.  Actually I want
> to use it for everything.  How did you do the database interaction?  FFI?

CLSQL

From: ·············@hotmail.com
············@rock.com wrote:
> Sorry for *spamming* your board ,
Even a spam in this board got a tons of  replies
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.lisp/browse_thread/thread/298e0b10ff3a0298/11a8acb25338266d?hl=en#11a8acb25338266d
> i'm a newbie
> and using this newsgroup for reading purposes only.
> I just wanted to tell you that i got my first Lisp
> contract doing a warehouse application .

Great .
> The sweetest thing is that i won it over a Java
> cough-cough master. Oh he was so pumped  when we got the spec,
> but i show the my proto' this Monday  and three days
> afterwards he still got nada. Probably he's still
> writing the classes ,
Most  people  hates Java ,i hate Visual Basic

>in the mean time my Postgre
> stores more than a 200 MBs and still growing, growing .

PostgreSQL is an excellent  database , but for an small DBs
it could be overkill.
> Oh you would probably kill me if you see the mess i wrote
> but it's working  , it's working .
> At least for now  .
1 Killing is illegal in this country
2 There's a long way to becoming a master , when i'll become one
   i will tell you (length *the-way-to-become-lisp-guru*)
> I'm expecting all data transfered by Saturday more than
> a 5 GBs so i could do some testing with a full workload
> it should serve 14 PCs .

  Cool,  post  how it went .

From: Christopher Koppler
·············@hotmail.com schrieb:

> ············@rock.com wrote:
> > The sweetest thing is that i won it over a Java
> > cough-cough master. Oh he was so pumped  when we got the spec,
> > but i show the my proto' this Monday  and three days
> > afterwards he still got nada. Probably he's still
> > writing the classes ,
> Most  people  hates Java ,i hate Visual Basic

While I don't especially not hate Java, Visual Basic deserves a very
special place in hell.
And industrial automation software that uses a stripped down version of
Visual Basic as a scripting language should join it (can you tell what
I'm forced to work with at my job right now? Sonn to be done with,
thank the heavens).

> >in the mean time my Postgre
> > stores more than a 200 MBs and still growing, growing .
>
> PostgreSQL is an excellent  database , but for an small DBs
> it could be overkill.

In the wild, there are no small databases. Only databases that haven't
yet grown to their full size.

--
Christopher
From: ·············@hotmail.com
From: André Thieme
Christopher Koppler schrieb:

> While I don't especially not hate Java, [...]

Does this mean that your hate on Java is not anymore special than your
hate on other things?

;-)

Andr�
From: Thomas F. Burdick
·············@hotmail.com writes:

> PostgreSQL is an excellent  database , but for an small DBs
> it could be overkill.

If you don't need ACID semantics and enjoy rebuilding trashed
databases, sure, use MySQL -- or better, just use the filesystem and
no locks.  In this day and age, Postres is easy to build and install,
and is quite reasonable in size.  Much like the free Lisp systems, I
think it was a very good tool before, but not always practical -- but
improvements in buildability and Moore's Law have taken care of that.

--
           /|_     .-----------------------.
         ,'  .\  / | Free Mumia Abu-Jamal! |
From: ·············@hotmail.com
Thomas F. Burdick wrote:
> ·············@hotmail.com writes:
>
> > PostgreSQL is an excellent  database , but for an small DBs
> > it could be overkill.
>
> If you don't need ACID semantics and enjoy rebuilding trashed
> databases, sure, use MySQL -- or better, just use the filesystem and
> no locks.  In this day and age, Postres is easy to build and install,
> and is quite reasonable in size.  Much like the free Lisp systems, I
> think it was a very good tool before, but not always practical -- but
> improvements in buildability and Moore's Law have taken care of that.

I was thinking about embedded database , hundreds of MBs RDBMS doesn't
make a sense with managing a database of 20-30 MBs .
From: Tim Lavoie
On 2005-08-05, ·············@hotmail.com <·············@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I was thinking about embedded database , hundreds of MBs RDBMS doesn't
> make a sense with managing a database of 20-30 MBs .

CLSQL supports SQLite, as well as both MySQL and PostgreSQL.  SQLite
looks perfect for what you are describing: quick, small and
embeddable. Check http://www.sqlite.org/ for more details.

With CLSQL itself, you should also have relatively little code to
change to switch to one of the other choices if you need to later.

	Cheers,
	Tim
From: ·············@hotmail.com
From: ·············@hotmail.com
Thomas F. Burdick wrote:
> ·············@hotmail.com writes:
>
> > Thomas F. Burdick wrote:

> > > If you don't need ACID semantics and enjoy rebuilding trashed
> > > databases, sure, use MySQL -- or better, just use the filesystem and
> > > no locks.  In this day and age, Postres is easy to build and install,
> > > and is quite reasonable in size.  Much like the free Lisp systems, I
> > > think it was a very good tool before, but not always practical -- but
> > > improvements in buildability and Moore's Law have taken care of that.
> >
> > I was thinking about embedded database , hundreds of MBs RDBMS doesn't
> > make a sense with managing a database of 20-30 MBs .
>
> What?  Why do you care if the RDBMS is larger than your database
> itself?  What I usually care about is data integrity.
> Only a sucker
> would pick a crappy 5 MB DBMS that screws up their data, just because
> it's smaller than the database.  I'm not saying that Postgres is the
> perfect solution for all database problems, but "it's too big, my db
> is only 20-30 MBs" is not a good reason not to use it.  This is a case
> where bigger is better.
>
> (And PostgreSQL is *not* hundreds of MBs anyway -- checking a local
> installation of postgresql-7.4.1, it looks like the system, minus the
> database, is about 18 MBs.)

a  Now and than you don't need all features of PostGRE .
b  Simpler/Smaller DBMS are faster for most common operations.
c  Simpler/Smaller DBMS eats less resources
d  Everybody doesn't own Pentium 4s, persuading customer to buy new
   hardware because your application need it (while  he is
   completely satisfied with his outdated windows & outdated office)
   is bad for your business .
e  Embedded DB has a footprint of less than 500 KBs
f  Embedded DB is completely integrated with your code.
g  Embedded DB could be even more reliable.

I wrote and maintain commercial applications with Postgre and have
pretty good idea what it's capable of , while you  on the other hand
sound like you never tried embedded database . Thrashing something
you don't know anything about will do no good for you nor this
discussion.

And thank you for calling me sucker, that was really nice of you.

Antoan
From: Thomas F. Burdick
·············@hotmail.com writes:

> > What I usually care about is data integrity.  Only a sucker would
> > pick a crappy 5 MB DBMS that screws up their data, just because
> > it's smaller than the database.
> g  Embedded DB could be even more reliable.
> And thank you for calling me sucker, that was really nice of you.

Where do you see me saying that?  That statement was qualified and not
directed specifically at you -- however, if you can't see that, I will
call you blind.

--
           /|_     .-----------------------.
         ,'  .\  / | Free Mumia Abu-Jamal! |
From: ·············@hotmail.com
Subject: Embedded database
Thomas F. Burdick wrote:
> ·············@hotmail.com writes:
>
> > > What I usually care about is data integrity.  Only a sucker would
> > > pick a crappy 5 MB DBMS that screws up their data, just because
> > > it's smaller than the database.
> > g  Embedded DB could be even more reliable.
> > And thank you for calling me sucker, that was really nice of you.
>
> Where do you see me saying that?  That statement was qualified and not
> directed specifically at you -- however, if you can't see that, I will
> call you blind.
>
> --
>            /|_     .-----------------------.
>          ,'  .\  / | Free Mumia Abu-Jamal! |
>      ,--'    _,'   | Abolish the racist    |
>     /       /      | death penalty!        |
>    (   -.  |       `-----------------------'
>    |     ) |
>   (`-.  '--.)
>    `. )----'

And i would call you indecent, but i find impolite
calling people names so I would still call you Thomas .

One more thing i forgath to mention :

So Thomas perhaps you're selling your applications online ,
or you're offering free demo or stripped off version
of your application for trial ,
how would  PostgreSQL fit your needs ?
Wouldn't you agree that people with slow connections will not even dare
to download , no matter how good your product is ?
Doesn't that mean lost  sales  for  business?

Antoan
From: Thomas F. Burdick

From: Andreas Thiele
<············@rock.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
·····························@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> ... a Java cough-cough master. ...

LOL
From: fireblade
From: Thomas F. Burdick
············@rock.com writes:

> Sorry for *spamming* your board ,  i'm a newbie
> and using this newsgroup for reading purposes only.
> I just wanted to tell you that i got my first Lisp
> contract doing a warehouse application .
> The sweetest thing is that i won it over a Java
> cough-cough master. Oh he was so pumped  when we got the spec,
> but i show the my proto' this Monday  and three days
> afterwards he still got nada. Probably he's still
> writing the classes , in the mean time my Postgre
> stores more than a 200 MBs and still growing, growing .
> Oh you would probably kill me if you see the mess i wrote
> but it's working  , it's working .
> At least for now  .
> I'm expecting all data transfered by Saturday more than
> a 5 GBs so i could do some testing with a full workload
> it should serve 14 PCs .
>
> Long live Common Lisp , long live Postgre.

Congratulations.  One nice thing about the server end of the world (as
opposed to the applications end) is that we tend to get more
flexibility about the tools we use.  Some fools use second-rate
languages and third-rate database systems, but that just opens up
opportunities for those using CL and Postgres.

--
         ,'  .\  / | Free Mumia Abu-Jamal! |
From: ············@rock.com
Thanks for all your positive feedback,
full capacity reached and still no problems
on the horizon . I will be busy in the next
few days with training the employees than
will be working on improving performances.
Yessi