From: Ramza Brown
Subject: Date code and error
Anybody know why this code with clisp2.33 would give this error:

*** - EVAL: variable L has no value
The following restarts are available:
STORE-VALUE    :R1      You may input a new value for L.
USE-VALUE      :R2      You may input a value to be used instead of L.

(defun print-date-new (stream &optional (ut (get-universal-time)))
   (multiple-value-bind (ss mm hh d m y)
       (decode-universal-time ut)
     (format stream "~D.~2,'0D.~2,'0D ~2,'0D:~2,'0D:~2,'0D"
	    y m d hh mm ss)))

I can put in a value for L, I just don't understand the why I have to do
that.

From: Timofei Shatrov
Subject: Re: Date code and error
On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 02:43:14 -0400, Ramza Brown <············@gmail.com>
tried to confuse everyone with this message:

>Anybody know why this code with clisp2.33 would give this error:
>
>*** - EVAL: variable L has no value
>The following restarts are available:
>STORE-VALUE    :R1      You may input a new value for L.
>USE-VALUE      :R2      You may input a value to be used instead of L.
>
>(defun print-date-new (stream &optional (ut (get-universal-time)))
>   (multiple-value-bind (ss mm hh d m y)
>       (decode-universal-time ut)
>     (format stream "~D.~2,'0D.~2,'0D ~2,'0D:~2,'0D:~2,'0D"
>	    y m d hh mm ss)))
>
>I can put in a value for L, I just don't understand the why I have to do
>that.

It works on my CLISP 2.33.2.

--
|a\o/r|,-------------.,---------- Timofei Shatrov aka Grue ------------.
| m"a ||FC AMKAR PERM|| mail: grue at mail.ru  http://grue3.tripod.com |
|  k  ||  PWNZ J00   || Kingdom of Loathing: Grue3 lvl 18 Seal Clubber |
`-----'`-------------'`-------------------------------------------[4*72]
From: Edi Weitz
On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 02:43:14 -0400, Ramza Brown <············@gmail.com> wrote:

> Anybody know why this code with clisp2.33 would give this error:
>
> *** - EVAL: variable L has no value
> The following restarts are available:
> STORE-VALUE    :R1      You may input a new value for L.
> USE-VALUE      :R2      You may input a value to be used instead of L.
>
> (defun print-date-new (stream &optional (ut (get-universal-time)))
>    (multiple-value-bind (ss mm hh d m y)
>        (decode-universal-time ut)
>      (format stream "~D.~2,'0D.~2,'0D ~2,'0D:~2,'0D:~2,'0D"
> 	    y m d hh mm ss)))
>
> I can put in a value for L, I just don't understand the why I have
> to do that.

Hmm, I vaguely remember having seen something similar a while ago.
Could it be that you've pasted the code into CLISP's listener and it
contains some erroneous invisible character?

Cheers,
Edi.

--

Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.

From: Ramza Brown
Edi Weitz wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 02:43:14 -0400, Ramza Brown <············@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Anybody know why this code with clisp2.33 would give this error:
>>
>>*** - EVAL: variable L has no value
>>The following restarts are available:
>>STORE-VALUE    :R1      You may input a new value for L.
>>USE-VALUE      :R2      You may input a value to be used instead of L.
>>
>>(defun print-date-new (stream &optional (ut (get-universal-time)))
>>   (multiple-value-bind (ss mm hh d m y)
>>       (decode-universal-time ut)
>>     (format stream "~D.~2,'0D.~2,'0D ~2,'0D:~2,'0D:~2,'0D"
>>	    y m d hh mm ss)))
>>
>>I can put in a value for L, I just don't understand the why I have
>>to do that.
>

> Hmm, I vaguely remember having seen something similar a while ago.
> Could it be that you've pasted the code into CLISP's listener and it
> contains some erroneous invisible character?
>
> Cheers,
> Edi.

Weird, I think that is what it is.  I am going from emacs to REPL in
win32.  When I remove the tabs,newlines, extra white space.  It works
fine.  But, I have been copy-pasting for months, why this particular
function?
From: Marco Baringer
Ramza Brown <············@gmail.com> writes:

> Anybody know why this code with clisp2.33 would give this error:
>
> *** - EVAL: variable L has no value
> The following restarts are available:
> STORE-VALUE    :R1      You may input a new value for L.
> USE-VALUE      :R2      You may input a value to be used instead of L.
>
> (defun print-date-new (stream &optional (ut (get-universal-time)))
>    (multiple-value-bind (ss mm hh d m y)
>        (decode-universal-time ut)
>      (format stream "~D.~2,'0D.~2,'0D ~2,'0D:~2,'0D:~2,'0D"
> 	    y m d hh mm ss)))
>
> I can put in a value for L, I just don't understand the why I have to
> do that.

does your code contian any form-feed-control chars? these correspond
to ascii char #x0C which emacs prints as ^L (control-L) and which the
cut 'n pasting might be converting to a simple L char.

--
-Marco
Ring the bells that still can ring.
From: Pascal Bourguignon
Ramza Brown <············@gmail.com> writes:

> Anybody know why this code with clisp2.33 would give this error:
>
> *** - EVAL: variable L has no value
> The following restarts are available:
> STORE-VALUE    :R1      You may input a new value for L.
> USE-VALUE      :R2      You may input a value to be used instead of L.
>
> (defun print-date-new (stream &optional (ut (get-universal-time)))
>    (multiple-value-bind (ss mm hh d m y)
>        (decode-universal-time ut)
>      (format stream "~D.~2,'0D.~2,'0D ~2,'0D:~2,'0D:~2,'0D"
> 	    y m d hh mm ss)))
>
> I can put in a value for L, I just don't understand the why I have to
> do that.

The right procedure when you break into the debugger with an error, is
not to paste random unrelated code from your source.  It's to use the
backtrace to see where the error comes from.

Type:  :h   to get help about debugger interactive commands
       :bt  to get the backtrace.

Then read the back trace from the start to identify the last place
where L was seen.

neither do we. -- Georges W. Bush
From: Edi Weitz
On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 16:58:19 +0200, Pascal Bourguignon <···@informatimago.com> wrote:

> The right procedure when you break into the debugger with an error,
> is not to paste random unrelated code from your source.  It's to use
> the backtrace to see where the error comes from.
>
> Type:  :h   to get help about debugger interactive commands
>        :bt  to get the backtrace.
>
> Then read the back trace from the start to identify the last place
> where L was seen.

Read the rest of the thread.  A backtrace doesn't help at all if CLISP
thinks that a form feed character is the symbol L.

Cheers,
Edi.

--

Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.

From: Mark Tarver
This L business crops up when pasting from Notepad into the
CLisp command window.  You get an invisible L character in
CLisp (and therefore Qi) tagged on to the end of your paste.
To avoid, place some whitespace lines before and after your
text and paste the lot including whitespace.

Mark