From: Emre Sevinc
Subject: How to make PortableAllegro listen from outside?
OK, I'm on my way to Internet programming with Lisp
and I'm stuck at a stage which probably has got nothing
to do with Lisp itself.

I'm fine with Allegro web server, making thing working
on http://localhost:8080 since I started it listenin' on
that port.

Now I'm trying to (let ((others (some-of *the-world)))) see
my wonderful (!) Lisp programs, too.

Thus I have made the required modifications using my ADSL modem
setup screen, saved settings, rebooted it and had such a table:

ID  Public Port  Private Port  Port Type   	 Host IP Address
1    22           22 	        TCP 	         10.0.0.5
2    5000         5000 	        TCP              10.0.0.5
3    8080 	  8080          TCP 	         10.0.0.5

and here's my connections on my Debian box:

debian:/home/fz/programming/Lisp# netstat -tlnp
Active Internet connections (only servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State       PID/Program name
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:36005           0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN     17948/centericq
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:35813         0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN     15721/sbcl
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:34309         0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN     26574/sbcl
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:19150           0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN     889/gkrellmd
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:111             0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN     608/portmap
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:8080            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN     15721/sbcl
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:22              0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN     899/sshd
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:25              0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN     876/exim3
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:635           0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN     883/famd

However I cannot connect to my machine, when I try

  http://fz.dyndns.org:8080/

It says: the connection was refused when attempting to
contact fz.dyndns.org:8080

On the other hand, trying:

  http://localhost:8080/

I see that Allegro serve responds me:

Not Found
The request for http://localhost:8080/ was not found on this server.

AllegroServe 1.2.42

I cannot understand the problem because as you see above
port 22 is also defined I can SSH to my machine from the
outside, I tested it many times and it works without
any problems.

Why can't I get the same effect using Allegro? Any suggestions
for debugging this network problem?

--
Emre Sevinc

eMBA Software Developer         Actively engaged in:
http:www.bilgi.edu.tr           http://ileriseviye.org
http://www.bilgi.edu.tr         http://fazlamesai.net
Cognitive Science Student       http://cazci.com
http://www.cogsci.boun.edu.tr

From: GP lisper
On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 01:48:39 +0300, <·····@bilgi.edu.tr> wrote:

> However I cannot connect to my machine, when I try
>
>   http://fz.dyndns.org:8080/

Your DNS might be fubared.  If you get this message quickly, try

http://81.213.67.233:8080/

Failure here may only mean that your external IP address has changed
in the time between my post and your test.  Determine your routable IP
and run the same test.  If you do get a connection with the IP
address, it means your local DNS server needs a configuration change
in order to correctly determine the IP address of fz.dyndns.org

Looking at the netstat output you posted, this should work

http://localhost:8080/

again, problems here mean adjusting the DNS config.

--
[ingvar] Modelling forest damage by storms with regular expressions is...
  a curious idea.
From: Edi Weitz
On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 01:48:39 +0300, Emre Sevinc <·····@bilgi.edu.tr> wrote:

> However I cannot connect to my machine, when I try
>
>   http://fz.dyndns.org:8080/

Well, I can, and I see AllegroServe 1.2.42 answering.

Cheers,
Edi.

--

Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.

From: Emre Sevinc
Edi Weitz <········@agharta.de> writes:

> On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 01:48:39 +0300, Emre Sevinc <·····@bilgi.edu.tr> wrote:
>
>> However I cannot connect to my machine, when I try
>>
>>   http://fz.dyndns.org:8080/
>
> Well, I can, and I see AllegroServe 1.2.42 answering.

Pretty strange.

Just to make sure, (if you have a few sec.s) can you
(or somebody else who's reading this message) try:

  http://fz.dyndns.org:8080/grammar-form

and enter something like:

[PP [Spec right] [P' [P across] [NP [Spec the] [N' [N Weitz]]]]]

in the text box and press "count it" button and see if you
get something.

I'm surprised because one of my friends is trying to
connect without success. I'm trying to be sure if you
can connect from outside.

( If you are successful again, then I'll be happy even
though I'll be left with some mystery, why I myself
couldn't connect to fz.dyndns.org:8080 )

Thanks in advance.

Happy hacking,

From: jayessay
Emre Sevinc <·····@bilgi.edu.tr> writes:

> Just to make sure, (if you have a few sec.s) can you
> (or somebody else who's reading this message) try:
>
>   http://fz.dyndns.org:8080/grammar-form
>
> and enter something like:
>
> [PP [Spec right] [P' [P across] [NP [Spec the] [N' [N Weitz]]]]]
>
> in the text box and press "count it" button and see if you
> get something.

I don't see a "count it" button; I see a "produce the parse tree"
button.  Other than that, doing the above and pressing the parse tree
button gives a page with two links (but each goes to the exact same
thing: todt-output.png.  Clicking on this gives a picture of a parse
tree.

/Jon

--
'j' - a n t h o n y at romeo/charley/november com
From: Emre Sevinc
jayessay <······@foo.com> writes:

> Emre Sevinc <·····@bilgi.edu.tr> writes:
>
>> Just to make sure, (if you have a few sec.s) can you
>> (or somebody else who's reading this message) try:
>>
>>   http://fz.dyndns.org:8080/grammar-form
>>
>> and enter something like:
>>
>> [PP [Spec right] [P' [P across] [NP [Spec the] [N' [N Weitz]]]]]
>>
>> in the text box and press "count it" button and see if you
>> get something.
>
> I don't see a "count it" button; I see a "produce the parse tree"
> button.

Isn't Lisp supposed to let us do incremental dynamic programming? ;-)
(Just as Graham mentioned in one his articles related to bugs
that just disappeared while the customer was complaining on
the phone, to customer's surprise)

>  Other than that, doing the above and pressing the parse tree
> button gives a page with two links (but each goes to the exact same
> thing: todt-output.png.  Clicking on this gives a picture of a parse
> tree.

Ooops! Yes, you're right! I made an error and I think now
it points to the correct .ps file.

Thank you very much for the feedback.

From: Wade Humeniuk
Emre Sevinc wrote:

> ( If you are successful again, then I'll be happy even
> though I'll be left with some mystery, why I myself
> couldn't connect to fz.dyndns.org:8080 )

I kind of had a similar problem when I directly connected
my PC to my ISP's ADSL modem.  It seemed that the routers
at my ISP were unable to route a connection back to my
computer (with an external IP address).  Ever since I installed
my own Linksys router I have been able to connect to myself
(since the router understands that my assigned ISP address
is actually me and just routes the connection without
going out to the internet).

Just a question, it seems from your setup that you have
a local network (10.0.0.5), do you have a gateway machine
bridging to your ISP?

Wade
From: Wade Humeniuk
Wade Humeniuk wrote:

> I kind of had a similar problem when I directly connected
> my PC to my ISP's ADSL modem.  It seemed that the routers
> at my ISP were unable to route a connection back to my
> computer (with an external IP address).

Oops, slight clarification.  I had 2 PCs connected by
ethernet bridge to the ADSL modem.  Each had an external
IP address assigned.  I could not establish a TCP connection
between the two machines.  My ISP did not seem to be able
to route between two machines on the same DSL modem.

Wade
From: Edi Weitz
On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 02:22:42 +0300, Emre Sevinc <·····@bilgi.edu.tr> wrote:

> Just to make sure, (if you have a few sec.s) can you (or somebody
> else who's reading this message) try:
>
>   http://fz.dyndns.org:8080/grammar-form
>
> and enter something like:
>
> [PP [Spec right] [P' [P across] [NP [Spec the] [N' [N Weitz]]]]]
>
> in the text box and press "count it" button and see if you get
> something.

I get this message:

  Here is the file:

  todot-output.png

The picture URL is linked to localhost, though...

Cheers,
Edi.

--

Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.

From: Emre Sevinc
Edi Weitz <········@agharta.de> writes:

> On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 02:22:42 +0300, Emre Sevinc <·····@bilgi.edu.tr> wrote:
>
>> Just to make sure, (if you have a few sec.s) can you (or somebody
>> else who's reading this message) try:
>>
>>   http://fz.dyndns.org:8080/grammar-form
>>
>> and enter something like:
>>
>> [PP [Spec right] [P' [P across] [NP [Spec the] [N' [N Weitz]]]]]
>>
>> in the text box and press "count it" button and see if you get
>> something.
>
> I get this message:
>
>   Here is the file:
>
>   todot-output.png
>
> The picture URL is linked to localhost, though...

You're right, now I made it point to
http://fz.dyndns.org:8080/todot-output.png and also
added a .ps output.

Thanks for trying.

Now I now that at least one person from Germany can connect
to my Allegro Portable web server. :)

By the way I have also seen your address on my REPL,
it looks cool to have that data flowing but it may
be disturbing if many people connect, I just wondered
if there's a way to make AllegroServe direct this logging
data to some file.

Happy hacking,

From: jayessay
Emre Sevinc <·····@bilgi.edu.tr> writes:

> Now I now that at least one person from Germany can connect
> to my Allegro Portable web server. :)

As noted in another message I seem to be able to connect just fine as
well.  From here in Boston, MA, USA.

/Jon

--
'j' - a n t h o n y at romeo/charley/november com
From: Kevin Smith
Emre Sevinc wrote:
> Edi Weitz <········@agharta.de> writes:
>

>>On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 02:22:42 +0300, Emre Sevinc <·····@bilgi.edu.tr> wrote:
>>

>>>Just to make sure, (if you have a few sec.s) can you (or somebody
>>>else who's reading this message) try:
>>>
>>>  http://fz.dyndns.org:8080/grammar-form
>>>
>>>and enter something like:
>>>
>>>[PP [Spec right] [P' [P across] [NP [Spec the] [N' [N Weitz]]]]]
>>>
>>>in the text box and press "count it" button and see if you get
>>>something.
>>
>>I get this message:
>>
>>  Here is the file:
>>
>>  todot-output.png
>>
>>The picture URL is linked to localhost, though...
>

> You're right, now I made it point to
> http://fz.dyndns.org:8080/todot-output.png and also
> added a .ps output.
>
> Thanks for trying.
>
> Now I now that at least one person from Germany can connect
> to my Allegro Portable web server. :)
>
> By the way I have also seen your address on my REPL,
> it looks cool to have that data flowing but it may
> be disturbing if many people connect, I just wondered
> if there's a way to make AllegroServe direct this logging
> data to some file.
>
> Happy hacking,

FWIW - I'm able to connect as well (from the USA).

--Kevin
From: Emre Sevinc
Kevin Smith <·····@electricanvil.com> writes:

> Emre Sevinc wrote:
>> Edi Weitz <········@agharta.de> writes:
>> Allegro Portable web server. :)
>> By the way I have also seen your address on my REPL,
>> it looks cool to have that data flowing but it may
>> be disturbing if many people connect, I just wondered if there's a
>> way to make AllegroServe direct this logging
>> data to some file.
>> Happy hacking,
>>
> FWIW - I'm able to connect as well (from the USA).

Thanks a lot for spending time to test the service.

From: Wade Humeniuk
Emre Sevinc wrote:

> Now I now that at least one person from Germany can connect
> to my Allegro Portable web server. :)

I can connect also, from Calgary, Canada.

Wade
From: Petter Gustad
Emre Sevinc <·····@bilgi.edu.tr> writes:

> be disturbing if many people connect, I just wondered
> if there's a way to make AllegroServe direct this logging

You can turn it off by setting *enable-logging* to nil. You can also
define a new logging method to process the messages, e.g.

(in-package  :net.aserve)
(defmethod logmess (message)
   (format t "this could have been written to a file ~S" message))

See the log.cl file for more information.

Petter

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
From: André Thieme
Emre Sevinc schrieb:

> However I cannot connect to my machine, when I try
>
>   http://fz.dyndns.org:8080/

I can also see it.
When I did my own tests some time ago and used my dyndns-address I was
sent to the login-page of my router. Others could see my websites, but I
couldn't.

Look at Webactions. They r0ck! ;-)

Andr�
From: GP lisper
On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 03:38:11 +0200, <······························@justmail.de> wrote:

> When I did my own tests some time ago and used my dyndns-address I was
> sent to the login-page of my router.

you should fix that.

From: =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Andr=E9_Thieme?=
GP lisper schrieb:
> On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 03:38:11 +0200, <······························@justmail.de> wrote:
>
>>When I did my own tests some time ago and used my dyndns-address I was
>>sent to the login-page of my router.
>

> you should fix that.

Not important anymore as I have my own server now.
And it was only me who got connected to the router-login-page, as it is
not visible from outside of the local network.

Andr�