From: ········@gmail.com
Subject: web application framework in lisp
If you were to write a web-based service, and you were hacking in
Python, you could use Django, http://www.djangoproject.com/ ; if you
were a Ruby hacker, you could use Rails, http://www.rubyonrails.org/ --
is there something like these for a Lisp hacker?

I am very comfortable with Lisp -- but say I need to talk to a mysql
server, generate nice looking HTML pages, create a web-based service
that has users, cookies, authentication, and all of that. I *could*
build it all by myself, but are there things/tools that I can build
upon?

Paul Graham famously wrote the backend for Viaweb (that became Yahoo
stores) in Lisp -- but do we have building blocks that Lisp hackers
could use to whip up web services quickly and easily?

Also open-source tools are always better. I currently use Franz Allegro
CL, but I know that licenses are expensive.

Anybody would like to share their experience of building web services
using Lisp primarily?

I might be being very naive here, so please enlighten and be kind.

Thanks a lot,
remixer.

From: Edi Weitz
Subject: Re: web application framework in lisp
On 18 Jul 2005 22:09:12 -0700, ········@gmail.com wrote:

> If you were to write a web-based service, and you were hacking in
> Python, you could use Django, http://www.djangoproject.com/ ; if you
> were a Ruby hacker, you could use Rails, http://www.rubyonrails.org/
> -- is there something like these for a Lisp hacker?
>
> I am very comfortable with Lisp -- but say I need to talk to a mysql
> server, generate nice looking HTML pages, create a web-based service
> that has users, cookies, authentication, and all of that. I *could*
> build it all by myself, but are there things/tools that I can build
> upon?

Here are some starting points:

  <http://www.cliki.net/Web>
  <http://www.cliki.net/database>

Cheers,
Edi.

--

Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.

From: Marco Baringer
········@gmail.com writes:

> I am very comfortable with Lisp -- but say I need to talk to a mysql
> server, generate nice looking HTML pages, create a web-based service
> that has users, cookies, authentication, and all of that. I *could*
> build it all by myself, but are there things/tools that I can build
> upon?

there are many things you can build on though you will have to do a
bit more footwork than you would with python or ruby or java or
whatever.

http://bc.tech.coop/blog/041017.html talks about the various web
servers.

http://www.cliki.net/Web has a bunch of web related links (servers,
clients, frameworks, etc.)

the web 'frameworks' (or libraries or platforms or whatever) that i
hear about the most are (all of these do/can deal with sessions (via
cookies or url rewriting), url dispatching/rewriting and templating):

aserve - http://opensource.franz.com/aserve/
bknr - http://bknr.net/home
cl-http - http://www.ai.mit.edu/projects/iiip/doc/cl-http/home-page.html
portableaserve - http://portableaserve.sourceforge.net/ (fork of aserve)
tbnl - http://weitz.de/tbnl
ucw - http://common-lisp.net/project/ucw

the various templating libraries i know about:

cl-emb - http://common-lisp.net/project/cl-emb/
cl-who - http://weitz.de/cl-who/
html-template - http://weitz.de/html-template/
htout - http://www.tfeb.org/lisp/hax.html#HTOUT
lml2 - http://lml2.b9.com/readme.html
tal (yaclml) - http://common-lisp.net/project/bese/yaclml.html

as far as connecting to the db you'd do well to look into clsql
(http://clsql.b9.com/)

hth.

p.s. - this has been discussed more than once on this list, you'd do well to
look in the archives

--
-Marco
Ring the bells that still can ring.
From: Eric Lavigne
>Paul Graham famously wrote the backend for Viaweb (that became Yahoo
>stores) in Lisp -- but do we have building blocks that Lisp hackers
>could use to whip up web services quickly and easily?

While he didn't give a lot of details about that, he did mention a
decision to store his data in text files rather than in a mysql
database. He was expecting the company that bought him out to have some
resistance to such a low tech solution, but it turned out that yahoo
was doing the same thing on their projects. I would tend to follow that
advice because, even as a Lisp newbie, I have no difficulty writing
data to files and reading it back. Just one less technology you have to
deal with.
From: Pascal Costanza
Eric Lavigne wrote:
>>Paul Graham famously wrote the backend for Viaweb (that became Yahoo
>>stores) in Lisp -- but do we have building blocks that Lisp hackers
>>could use to whip up web services quickly and easily?
>
> While he didn't give a lot of details about that, he did mention a
> decision to store his data in text files rather than in a mysql
> database. He was expecting the company that bought him out to have some
> resistance to such a low tech solution, but it turned out that yahoo
> was doing the same thing on their projects. I would tend to follow that
> advice because, even as a Lisp newbie, I have no difficulty writing
> data to files and reading it back. Just one less technology you have to
> deal with.

I think one of the main reasons given is that you can fix bugs in your
database with a text editor.

Pascal

--
2nd European Lisp and Scheme Workshop
July 26 - Glasgow, Scotland - co-located with ECOOP 2005
From: Pete Kazmier
········@gmail.com writes:

> If you were to write a web-based service, and you were hacking in
> Python, you could use Django, http://www.djangoproject.com/ ; if you
> were a Ruby hacker, you could use Rails, http://www.rubyonrails.org/
> -- is there something like these for a Lisp hacker?

Drew Crampsie apparently has been working "Lisp on Lines" which is
supposed to be similar in spirit to "Ruby on Rails".  It appears he'll
be giving a demo of it at the Vancouver Lisp Users Group:

   http://bc.tech.coop/blog/050717.html

I'm also curious about his work and am hoping that something may be
forthcoming soon.  In the meantime, as you can see, its built on UCW
and CLSQL so you may want to familiarize yourself with those packages
while waiting.
From: ········@gmail.com
Thanks to all who replied. Lisp on lines surely sounds exciting -- Am
waiting to hear more about it...

From: Pietro Campesato
I'm curious too... luckily I happen to live in Vancouver, so I'll check
it out soon :)