From: Steve
Subject: cLisp: learning lisp
So,

I've downloaded clisp and bought the Paul Grayham book on common lisp
and now I have one question: how can I get the command line clisp
interpreter (./clisp) to indent code as I enter it? Is there any way to
have it track the number of brackets in the code in the same why that
emacs would?

If there isn't anyway to do this, what is a more efficient means of
developing Lisp programs?

Thanks,

Stephen

From: Sam Steingold
Subject: Re: cLisp: learning lisp
> * Steve <·········@tznvy.pbz> [2005-07-14 15:41:27 -0700]:
>
> I've downloaded clisp and bought the Paul Grayham book on common lisp
> and now I have one question: how can I get the command line clisp
> interpreter (./clisp) to indent code as I enter it? Is there any way
> to have it track the number of brackets in the code in the same why
> that emacs would?

if you set *print-pretty* to T, clisp will print your code indented (but
not while you type it)

> If there isn't anyway to do this, what is a more efficient means of
> developing Lisp programs?

I use GNU Emacs and run CLISP as an "inferior lisp".
(setq inferior-lisp-program "clisp")
C-c C-z in a buffer where you edit Lisp code will start CLISP.
C-e will evaluate the previous form &c - C-h m for more information.

<http://www.honestreporting.com> <http://www.jihadwatch.org/>
<http://www.memri.org/> <http://www.dhimmi.com/> <http://pmw.org.il/>
Flying is not dangerous; crashing is.
From: Pascal Costanza
Steve wrote:
> So,
>
> I've downloaded clisp and bought the Paul Grayham book on common lisp
> and now I have one question: how can I get the command line clisp
> interpreter (./clisp) to indent code as I enter it? Is there any way to
> have it track the number of brackets in the code in the same why that
> emacs would?
>
> If there isn't anyway to do this, what is a more efficient means of
> developing Lisp programs?

If you know emacs, you should consider using a Lisp implementation
together with emacs.

If you don't know emacs, there are some good reasons to learn it.
However, learning Common Lisp and emacs at the same time may be too much
in the beginning. In that case, it's probably better to pick one of the
commercial IDEs. Commercial vendors typically allow you to download a
"trial" or "personal" version that have some restrictions but are good
enough for learning the language.

My recommendation would be LispWorks for Mac, Windows and Linux, or
Allegro Common Lisp for Windows.

Pascal

--
2nd European Lisp and Scheme Workshop
July 26 - Glasgow, Scotland - co-located with ECOOP 2005
From: ····@lycos.com
If you're completely newby to Lisp
i think it's better to start with some of the commercial
implementations :
Lispworks Personal is great for the beginner,
and it's free . You won't be able to deliver your apps
but you won't need that at first.
http://www.lispworks.com/downloads/index.html
Franz also has a great implementation though
it's time limited .  I think 30 + 30 days
http://www.franz.com/download

After your fluent with Lisp you could choose
any implementation you want.

I wish you happy lisping.
From: Ivan Boldyrev
On 9171 day of my life ····@lycos.com wrote:
> Franz also has a great implementation though
> it's time limited .  I think 30 + 30 days
> http://www.franz.com/download

But time of free license may be extended with some util which is part
of Franz distro.

--
Ivan Boldyrev

                                                  Is 'morning' a gerund?
From: fireblade
It's actually 60 + 60

 Your Trial Edition will operate for 60 days starting today. You may
extend this trial period in 60-day increments by running the newlicense
program found in your Allegro directory (make sure your internet
connection is active before running the newlicense program). The
newlicense program should be run without arguments, unless you require
a proxy to access the web. If you are behind a firewall that requires a
proxy host to access the web, see
http://www.franz.com/rd/faq1-6.htm#169  for instructions on how to run
newlicense.
From: Ivan Boldyrev
On 9175 day of my life ········@YAHOO.COM wrote:
> It's actually 60 + 60
>
> Your Trial Edition will operate for 60 days starting today. You may
> extend this trial period in 60-day increments by running the
> newlicense program found in your Allegro directory (make sure your
> internet connection is active before running the newlicense
> program)...

It is acutally 60 + 60 + 60 + 60 + ...

Allegro sends me email notification every time license is about to
expire.  I have extended license at least 3 times (though I do not use
it actively).

--
Ivan Boldyrev

                Tragedy of programmers is that computer is wonderful toy
                            and programmers have to use it in their work.
From: fireblade
If you say so. I like Allegro but  i can't afford the enterprise
edition
while the professional edition is missing a runtime so i decided
develop wil LW .