From: ·············@hotmail.com
Subject: What's happening with The ANSI Common Lisp Reference Book
I'm really interested what takes so long for this book
to get released?
Is there something ongoing re CL standard  or lack of interest for
Lisp books ?

From: Christopher C. Stacy
·············@hotmail.com writes:

> I'm really interested what takes so long for this book to get
> released?  Is there something ongoing re CL standard or lack of
> interest for Lisp books ?

I've never heard of this (proposed) book.
Most people just use the HyperSpec,
which is a great online reference.

I think the market for printed reference books
is a lot smaller than it was a few years ago.
People can download so much material, so easily,
and it can come in hyperlinked format, that they
are not as interested in the dead-tree versions
as they used to be.

People are still very interested in books that
teach you new things (as opposed to books that
just let you look up things you already know).
For example, tutorials.  A new book called
"Practical Common Lisp" came out recently.
If you're looking for a good intro Lisp book,
try that one.  (There are also more advanced
books, which have been out for years.)
From: ·············@hotmail.com
I don't know the way you write your code
but i still want printed reference.
The hyperspec is great , it allready cames
 with  LW but i prefer going in the country
for a few days accompanied with  pen  ,
 notebook (real notebook not an lap top)
 and reference Lisp book.
That's my way of thinking  about the problem
at some inn with beautifull view of mountains
From: Tayssir John Gabbour
·············@hotmail.com wrote:
> I don't know the way you write your code
> but i still want printed reference.
> The hyperspec is great , it allready cames
>  with  LW but i prefer going in the country
> for a few days accompanied with  pen  ,
>  notebook (real notebook not an lap top)
>  and reference Lisp book.
> That's my way of thinking  about the problem
> at some inn with beautifull view of mountains

One thing you can do is photocopy the end of Paul Graham's Ansi CL
book, which has a good short reference in the back. Or just bring it
along as it's a short book.

I was kinda hoping something like it would be in the back of PCL, but
the thinking there was probably that it would've conflicted with the
upcoming Margolies book. Or something like that.

Tayssir
From: Trent Buck
······@news.dtpq.com (Christopher C. Stacy) writes:
> Most people just use the HyperSpec, which is a great online reference.

For the uninitiated, it's here:
  http://www.lispworks.com/documentation/HyperSpec/Front/index.htm
or "aptitude install hyperspec" under Debian.
--
Trent Buck, Student Errant
From: Edi Weitz

  <http://www.apress.com/book/bookDisplay.html?bID=263>

--

Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.

From: Paolo Amoroso
······@news.dtpq.com (Christopher C. Stacy) writes:

> I think the market for printed reference books
> is a lot smaller than it was a few years ago.
> People can download so much material, so easily,
> and it can come in hyperlinked format, that they
> are not as interested in the dead-tree versions
> as they used to be.

In the case of the book discussed in this thread, I decided to
preorder it at Amazon because it seems to include interesting material
besides the reference part, and because I would like to support
authors and publishers of Lisp books.

Paolo
Recommended Common Lisp libraries/tools:
- ASDF/ASDF-INSTALL: system building/installation
- CL-PPCRE: regular expressions
- UFFI: Foreign Function Interface
From: George Neuner
Stacy) wrote:

>Most people just use the HyperSpec,
>which is a great online reference.

Sometimes you just have to stare at dead trees on your desk.

Online references are great for quick memory refresh but I personally
find it difficult sometimes to read for comprehension from the screen.
There generally isn't enough real estate to keep multiple pages open
simultaneously on screen and hyperlinks are, IMO, a poor substitute
for flipping pages in a book.

YMMV.

George
--
for email reply remove "/" from address
From: Pascal Bourguignon
George Neuner <·········@comcast.net> writes:

> On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 10:21:21 GMT, ······@news.dtpq.com (Christopher C.
> Stacy) wrote:
>
>>Most people just use the HyperSpec,
>>which is a great online reference.
>
> Sometimes you just have to stare at dead trees on your desk.
>
> Online references are great for quick memory refresh but I personally
> find it difficult sometimes to read for comprehension from the screen.
> There generally isn't enough real estate to keep multiple pages open
> simultaneously on screen and hyperlinks are, IMO, a poor substitute
> for flipping pages in a book.
>
> YMMV.

In my mileage, I don't tear off pages from paper books to spread them
on my desktop, so I find it easier to open several windows to view
multiple pages simultaneously on my screen(s).

You just need a bigger screen.  Try a couple of Apple 23" LCDs... ;-)

I need a new toy.
Tail of black dog keeps good time.
Pounce! Good dog! Good dog!
From: drkm
Pascal Bourguignon writes:

> You just need a bigger screen.  Try a couple of Apple 23" LCDs... ;-)

  I'd like.  But for me, it's cheeper to buy the same book
several time to emulate several windows ;-)

--drkm
From: George Neuner
On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 01:12:23 +0200, Pascal Bourguignon
<···@informatimago.com> wrote:

>You just need a bigger screen.  Try a couple of Apple 23" LCDs... ;-)

Well I have a 21" CRT at 1600x1200.  Just one though.

George
--
for email reply remove "/" from address
From: Pascal Costanza
·············@hotmail.com wrote:
> I'm really interested what takes so long for this book
> to get released?
> Is there something ongoing re CL standard  or lack of interest for
> Lisp books ?

There are lots of possible reasons why schedules cannot be kept. I have
talked very briefly to the author, and he seems to be involved in just
too much other work. (That's all I know, I can't comment further on this.)

Pascal

--
2nd European Lisp and Scheme Workshop
July 26 - Glasgow, Scotland - co-located with ECOOP 2005
From: ·············@hotmail.com
Pascal Costanza wrote:
>I have
> talked very briefly to the author, and he seems to be involved in just
> too much other work. (That's all I know, I can't comment further on this.)

That's too bad i hope he will find time to finish the book any soon .
OK i'll buy a new copy of Steele .
From: David Steuber
·············@hotmail.com writes:

> or lack of interest for Lisp books ?

I think there is a definite lack of interest in Lisp books.  A new
book hasn't come out in over a month and it is only recently getting a
second printing.

Even with an 11 year old standard that was started over 20 years ago,
Lisp books from the very late 1980's and early to mid 1990's are
totally obsolete now.

At least you can count on Java to remain stable.  Or Perl.

--
(when (or hope despair)
  (error "Deal with life as it is."))
From: Peter Seibel
David Steuber <·····@david-steuber.com> writes:

> ·············@hotmail.com writes:
>
>> or lack of interest for Lisp books ?
>
> I think there is a definite lack of interest in Lisp books.  A new
> book hasn't come out in over a month and it is only recently getting
> a second printing.

:-)

-Peter

--
Peter Seibel           * ·····@gigamonkeys.com
From: Joe Marshall
David Steuber <·····@david-steuber.com> writes:

> ·············@hotmail.com writes:
>
>> or lack of interest for Lisp books ?
>
> I think there is a definite lack of interest in Lisp books.  A new
> book hasn't come out in over a month and it is only recently getting a
> second printing.
>
> Even with an 11 year old standard that was started over 20 years ago,
> Lisp books from the very late 1980's and early to mid 1990's are
> totally obsolete now.

``Bring us some fresh wine! The freshest you've got --- this year
--- no more of this old stuff.''

      -- Navin R. Johnson (Steve Martin)

--
~jrm
From: Tim X
David Steuber <·····@david-steuber.com> writes:

> ·············@hotmail.com writes:
>
> > or lack of interest for Lisp books ?
>
> I think there is a definite lack of interest in Lisp books.  A new
> book hasn't come out in over a month and it is only recently getting a
> second printing.
>
> Even with an 11 year old standard that was started over 20 years ago,
> Lisp books from the very late 1980's and early to mid 1990's are
> totally obsolete now.
>
> At least you can count on Java to remain stable.  Or Perl.

Not only that, if it wasn't for Java, my bookshelf wouldn't look
nearly as impressive - those nice thick java reference books look very
smart and make my office look like I'm really intelligent - the
fact new versions come out every couple of years is just great - my
office looks a bit like the equivelent of a lawyers office with all
these matching books and shows I've obviously been using Java since
the "early days", so I must be an expert. I'm just so pleased they
didn't cost much - if I'd paid by weight I'd still have a mortgage.

You hardly even notice Winston or Norwig in amongst it all!

Tim
--
Tim Cross
From: ·············@hotmail.com
>Not only that, if it wasn't for Java, my bookshelf wouldn't look
>nearly as impressive - those nice thick java reference books look very
>smart and make my office look like I'm really intelligent - the
>fact new versions come out every couple of years is just great - my
>office looks a bit like the equivelent of a lawyers office with all
>these matching books and shows I've obviously been using Java since
>the "early days", so I must be an expert. I'm just so pleased they
>didn't cost much - if I'd paid by weight I'd still have a mortgage

I never wrote anything in Java , but situation with Visual Basic isn't
rosy at all . 10 books of Lisp in my shelfs &  64 about Visual Basic +
2 more on the way  initiated by the the recent VB/Access to
Lisp porting.
Sometimes i wonder am i posting in the wrong forum?
From: ····@lycos.com
From: Pascal Bourguignon
·····@lycos.com" <····@lycos.com> writes:

> I real staff
> http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.basic.visual.misc?hl=en

The correct url is:   news:comp.lang.basic.visual.misc

Kitty like plastic.
Confuses for litter box.
Don't leave tarp around.
From: Pascal Bourguignon
Tim X <····@spamto.devnul.com> writes:
> You hardly even notice Winston or Norwig in amongst it all!

What prevents you buying a new Winston or a new Norwig every year?

The rule for today:
Touch my tail, I shred your hand.
New rule tomorrow.