From: Bernd Schmitt
Subject: FYI: I bought a good german book on Lisp
For all those like me, who want to buy a book in my native language:

	Spektrum Akademischer Verlag:
	Otto Mayer,
	"Programmieren in COMMON LISP",
	second edition,
	isbn 3-86025-710-2.

Now, I only have to read it ;)

--
https://gna.org/projects/mipisti - (microscope) picture stitching

From: Edi Weitz
Subject: Re: FYI: I bought a good german book on Lisp
On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 23:17:07 +0200, Bernd Schmitt <··················@gmx.net> wrote:

> Now, I only have to read it ;)

If you haven't read it yet why do you know already that it's good?

--

Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.

From: Bernd Schmitt
Edi Weitz wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 23:17:07 +0200, Bernd Schmitt <··················@gmx.net> wrote:

>>Now, I only have to read it ;)
> If you haven't read it yet why do you know already that it's good?
i was starting with the online available stuff (english) and parallel
looking for german books is library. the german ones did not cover all
the topics i was searching for (lambda, common lisp ...).
mayers book covered all those things in its table of contents and the
length of chapters seemed reasonable and the layout seemed ok to me.
to me his style is ok. i admit i just read 70 pages ;)
but this week my wife and the children are on vacation!

so i will see.

ciao,
Bernd

--
https://gna.org/projects/mipisti - (microscope) picture stitching
          T_a_k_e__c_a_r_e__o_f__y_o_u_r__R_I_G_H_T_S.
From: R. Mattes
On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 23:17:07 +0200, Bernd Schmitt wrote:

> For all those like me, who want to buy a book in my native language:
>
> 	Spektrum Akademischer Verlag:
> 	Otto Mayer,
> 	"Programmieren in COMMON LISP",
> 	second edition,
> 	isbn 3-86025-710-2.
>
> Now, I only have to read it ;)

Funny, when i flipped through the book in a local store i found it
rather non-inspiring (or better: boring).
I took great pains to convince some 16 year aspiring programmer to have
a look at CL only to find out (coming back from the Amsterdam Meeting)
that he spend money buying this book. Looking at it again it really had
_everything_ Peter Seibel mentioned in his talk about how to scare people
away from CL.
But tastes differ i assume ...

 Cheers Ralf Mattes
From: Ulrich Hobelmann
R. Mattes wrote:
> Funny, when i flipped through the book in a local store i found it
> rather non-inspiring (or better: boring).
> I took great pains to convince some 16 year aspiring programmer to have
> a look at CL only to find out (coming back from the Amsterdam Meeting)
> that he spend money buying this book. Looking at it again it really had
> _everything_ Peter Seibel mentioned in his talk about how to scare people
> away from CL.
> But tastes differ i assume ...

Confirms my prejudices ;)

I stopped buying German math and CS books a long time ago, because
they invariably suck very badly (hell, even the translations
usually suck!).

I don't know about the situation in other countries, but I think
that trying to do CS in non-english is just a waste of time.  You
miss all the good books, unless they're five+ years old: then you
might get a weird translation, with funny words in your language
(that you can only sometimes guess) referring to "international"
(in day-to-day usage) CS terms.

--
XML is a prime example of retarded innovation.
	-- Erik Meijer and Peter Drayton, Microsoft Corporation
From: Matthias Buelow
Ulrich Hobelmann <···········@web.de> wrote:

>I stopped buying German math and CS books a long time ago, because
>they invariably suck very badly (hell, even the translations
>usually suck!).

Of course you have read all of them, haven't you.

mkb.
From: Ulrich Hobelmann
Matthias Buelow wrote:
> Ulrich Hobelmann <···········@web.de> wrote:
>

>>I stopped buying German math and CS books a long time ago, because
>>they invariably suck very badly (hell, even the translations
>>usually suck!).
>

> Of course you have read all of them, haven't you.

Enough.  Maybe I just get the wrong German books and the right
American (or something else) ones.

Or maybe my experience is representative.  I don't care.  I just
avoid the German ones, and save time, money, and nerves.

From: R. Mattes
On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 15:41:55 +0000, Matthias Buelow wrote:

> Ulrich Hobelmann <···········@web.de> wrote:
>
>>I stopped buying German math and CS books a long time ago, because
>>they invariably suck very badly (hell, even the translations
>>usually suck!).
>
> Of course you have read all of them, haven't you.

Maybe something lost in translation -- but did Ulrich ever
claim he did? Those he bought seem to have sucked so he stopped.
I somehow had the same experience -- I'd have to think long to
come up with a good german computer book. And then there are the
ones which are _really_ bad, some of them so much that one has the
urge to send a troup of merciless mercenaries to the author (or, more
often, to the copy editor). Still keep a copy of an old virtual reality
intro (from Markt&Technik) that must have been translated by an early
(ca. 1960ish) approach at machine translation. Took me some time to
figure out that "Tisch" probably was a miss-translated  'table' which,
from the context, one has to assume should be array ....

 Cheers RalfD

From: Edi Weitz
On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 23:29:08 +0200, "R. Mattes" <··@mh-freiburg.de> wrote:

> I'd have to think long to come up with a good german computer book.

A pretty fresh one:

  Wolfgang Mauerer: Linux Kernelarchitektur
  Hanser, 2004
  ISBN 3-446-22566-8

There are more, obviously.  In fact, there are even German IT books
that have been translated to English.

I'm pretty sure most of the English computer books suck big time as
well - what you see in a typical German bookstore already went through
several filters.

I agree that many translations are seemingly done by incompetent dorks
- Graham's "ANSI Common Lisp" is one example that applies to Lisp.

Cheers,
Edi.

--

Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.

From: Matthias Buelow
Edi Weitz <········@agharta.de> writes:

>> I'd have to think long to come up with a good german computer book.
>A pretty fresh one:
>  Wolfgang Mauerer: Linux Kernelarchitektur

I've got another Maurer to contribute, but not by the same person.

  R. Wilhelm, D. Maurer, Uebersetzerbau, 2. Auflage, Springer-Verlag 1997.

It's about compiler construction and covers imperative, functional and
object-oriented compilation techniques. It's a bit more modern than
the dragon book but also more theoretic but still very well written,
imho.

mkb.
From: Ulrich Hobelmann
Matthias Buelow wrote:
> I've got another Maurer to contribute, but not by the same person.
>
>   R. Wilhelm, D. Maurer, Uebersetzerbau, 2. Auflage, Springer-Verlag 1997.

Is it a German original (i.e. originally written in that German
version)?

> It's about compiler construction and covers imperative, functional and
> object-oriented compilation techniques. It's a bit more modern than
> the dragon book but also more theoretic but still very well written,
> imho.

Hm, did you read Appel's "modern compiler construction in ML (or
java, C)"?  I'd like to know how they compare.  Well, maybe my
local library even has the Maurer...

From: Thomas F. Burdick
Edi Weitz <········@agharta.de> writes:

> On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 23:29:08 +0200, "R. Mattes" <··@mh-freiburg.de> wrote:
>
> > I'd have to think long to come up with a good german computer book.
>
> A pretty fresh one:
>
>   Wolfgang Mauerer: Linux Kernelarchitektur
>   Hanser, 2004
>   ISBN 3-446-22566-8
>
> There are more, obviously.  In fact, there are even German IT books
> that have been translated to English.
>
> I'm pretty sure most of the English computer books suck big time as
> well - what you see in a typical German bookstore already went through
> several filters.

In my limited experience, they don't appear to be particularly worse
than English-language tech books in the US, most of which are utter
crap.  That's an interesting point about the filtered selection in
English in German bookstores -- Using Perl Regexps to Parse Dummies
probably wouldn't make it to Germany -- so _in Germany_ the tech books
in English probably are better, at least if you just go to any old
bookstore.

Personally, when I would look for tech books in the US, I'd always go
to specific stores that had well chosen selections, eg, Codey's in
Berkeley.  I would expect the same technique would work for
crap-filtering in Germany.

--
           /|_     .-----------------------.
         ,'  .\  / | Free Mumia Abu-Jamal! |
From: O-MY-GLIFE
Thomas F. Burdick wrote:

>  -- Using Perl Regexps to Parse Dummies

  Can it be really done?? That would be a first class achievement ;)
From: Joe Marshall
"O-MY-GLIFE" <·······@seznam.cz> writes:

> Thomas F. Burdick wrote:
>
>>  -- Using Perl Regexps to Parse Dummies
>
>   Can it be really done?? That would be a first class achievement ;)

You betcha!  Perl was just *made* for Dummies.....

--
~jrm
From: ···········@gmail.com
Subject: FYI: I bought a Scheme book in French
Matthias Buelow wrote:
> Ulrich Hobelmann <···········@web.de> wrote:
>
> >I stopped buying German math and CS books a long time ago, because
> >they invariably suck very badly (hell, even the translations
> >usually suck!).
>
> Of course you have read all of them, haven't you.
>
> mkb.

A bit off-topic for c.l.l., but maybe for new lispers it's of interest:
there's a /great/ Scheme book in French called "Programmer Avec Scheme"
(Jacques Chazarain). Thick, almost 800 pages. The great thing about it
is that it goes from basic constructs (lists, recursion, etc.) through
stuff like continuations, objects, up to how to use a Scheme for things
such as automata, ADT, lexical analysis, even a mini-TeX. And more
advanced stuff, like sequent calculus, combinators, etc. It's a nice
overview of important topics through the lenses of a language of the
Lisp family. Certainly, I imagine, superficial for the expert, but
IMHO, a good buy if you're a beginner and just getting introduced to
those topics, since there's not a wealth of literature on Lisp. Better
to learn stuff in Scheme than spend energy with C, if you can (yeah, I
know, you can't).
Yeah, Scheme is very different from CL. But it's great too, isn't it?
(Can I say "I hate Algol and the whole Algol family!" on a t-shirt or
will people ask "who's Algol?") I know, I know, the Alfred E. Neumann
machine's the problem...
And, no, I ain't cross-posting.

Cheers.
Henry
From: Stefan Nobis
Ulrich Hobelmann <···········@web.de> writes:

> Confirms my prejudices ;)

There are counter examples. In CS i really don't know much (very)
good german books, but "Theoretische Informatik -- eine
algorithmenorientierte Einf�hrung" written by Ingo Wegener isn't
quite bad. And i'm told there are some good books in AI and Fuzzy
Logic written in german.

And in Math there are quite some very good german books,
especially (most) books written by Beutelspacher (the guy who
initiated the Mathe-Museum in Gie�en).

> do CS in non-english is just a waste of time.

I don't think so, especially if you can't read english or your
english is very bad. But to concede a point: German translations
of CS books written in english are in most cases (very) bad.

--
Stefan.
From: Matthias Buelow
Stefan Nobis <······@gmx.de> wrote:

>And in Math there are quite some very good german books,
>especially (most) books written by Beutelspacher (the guy who
>initiated the Mathe-Museum in Gie�en).

I didn't like his books. He explains the obvious in extreme detail
and skips the difficult stuff that puzzled me.

mkb.
From: R. Mattes
On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 17:34:07 +0000, Stefan Ram wrote:

> Matthias Buelow <···@incubus.de> writes:
>>>And in Math there are quite some very good german books,
>>>especially (most) books written by Beutelspacher (the guy who
>>>initiated the Mathe-Museum in Gie�en).
>>I didn't like his books. He explains the obvious in extreme detail
>>and skips the difficult stuff that puzzled me.
>
>   I enjoyed reading books on LISP by Stoyan, like "LISP:
>   Anwendungsgebiete, Grundbegriffe, Geschichte" from 1980,
>   though you now will consider them relevant only for historic
>   interests. Therein, he reported amusing details, like, IIRC, a
>   story about a printer that did not print commas, so lists
>   looked liked "(sin 0)" instead of the intended "(sin,0)" and
>   then people find they like this and decided to drop the comma
>   from list notation.
>
>   Nowadays, Stoyan has some web pages published:
>
> http://www8.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/html/lisp-enter.html

I _like_ this newsgroup! Even a comment on dubious book will trigger
valuable information flow. Thanks for the link.

 Cheers Ralf Mattes
From: Holger Schauer
On 4334 September 1993, Stefan Ram wrote:
>   I enjoyed reading books on LISP by Stoyan, like "LISP:

FWIW, I didn't. In particular, I didn't like that one of them (Lisp -
Einf�hrung in die Programmierung) was still advised to students when
CL had long come around.

I had a look at Mayer as well. It wasn't even a good book ten years
ago and I fail to see how it could compete with one of the usually
referred books here in cll.

Holger

--
---          http://www.coling.uni-freiburg.de/~schauer/            ---
"Das sch�ne an Standards ist, da� es so viele davon gibt."
From: Julian Stecklina
Stefan Nobis <······@gmx.de> writes:

> Ulrich Hobelmann <···········@web.de> writes:
>
>> do CS in non-english is just a waste of time.
>
> I don't think so, especially if you can't read english or your
> english is very bad. But to concede a point: German translations
> of CS books written in english are in most cases (very) bad.

I have read "Modern Operating Systems" by Tanenbaum in English and
parts of "Computernetzwerke" (Computer Networks?) by Tanenbaum in
German. And the English version is clearly more enjoyable.

Regards,
--
Julian Stecklina

LISP has survived for 21 years because it is an approximate local
optimum in the space of programming languages. - John McCarthy (1980)
From: Rainer Joswig
Am 14.07.2005 17:36 Uhr schrieb "Ulrich Hobelmann" unter
<···········@web.de> in ··············@individual.net:

> R. Mattes wrote:
>> Funny, when i flipped through the book in a local store i found it
>> rather non-inspiring (or better: boring).
>> I took great pains to convince some 16 year aspiring programmer to have
>> a look at CL only to find out (coming back from the Amsterdam Meeting)
>> that he spend money buying this book. Looking at it again it really had
>> _everything_ Peter Seibel mentioned in his talk about how to scare people
>> away from CL.
>> But tastes differ i assume ...
>
> Confirms my prejudices ;)
>
> I stopped buying German math and CS books a long time ago, because
> they invariably suck very badly (hell, even the translations
> usually suck!).

Some Lisp-related books written in German:

J�rgen Kopp, Konstruktion von Wissensrepr�sentationssprachen durch
  Nutzen und Erweitern objektorientierter Sprachmittel, DISKI 13
  (heavy Lisp stuff, Babylon)
Peter Thiemann, Grundlagen der funktionalen Programmierung, Teubner
  (FP)
Puppe/..., Wissensbasierte Diagnose- und Expertensysteme, Mit Anwendungen
  des Expertensystem-Shell-Baukastens D3
  (D3 is a Lisp application)
Benno Biewer, Fuzzy-Methoden
  (Implemented in Lisp)
Stoyan/G�rz, LISP, Eine Einf�hrung in die Programmierung
  (Old book with lots of interesting stuff you will not find anywhere else)
J. Lunze, K�nstliche Intelligenz f�r Ingenieure I+II
  (lots of Lisp examples)
Peter Schefe, Informatik - Eine konstruktive Einf�hrung. Lisp, Prolog und
  andere Konzepte der Programmierung
  (older, dry, but good introduction to Computer Science with lots of
  Lisp inside, interesting perspective)
Christaller/..., Die KI-Werkbank Babylon
  (Babylon is written in Lisp)

and more...

And for MORE see here:
http://www8.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/html/lisp/histlit.html

This list should also give you some books/articles written in german. And
some MORE in english. The list contains 1000+ references to Lisp literature.

From: Julian Stecklina
Ulrich Hobelmann <···········@web.de> writes:

> R. Mattes wrote:
>> Funny, when i flipped through the book in a local store i found it
>> rather non-inspiring (or better: boring).
>> I took great pains to convince some 16 year aspiring programmer to have
>> a look at CL only to find out (coming back from the Amsterdam Meeting)
>> that he spend money buying this book. Looking at it again it really had
>> _everything_ Peter Seibel mentioned in his talk about how to scare people
>> away from CL.
>> But tastes differ i assume ...
>
> Confirms my prejudices ;)
>
> I stopped buying German math and CS books a long time ago, because
> they invariably suck very badly (hell, even the translations usually
> suck!).

Being German I tend to object here, but then I have this one book
lying around: "Logik und Logikprogrammierung" (Logic and Logic
Programming) written by one of our profs, and I know what you are
talking about. ;) On the other hand, the few American books I know
about some kind of higher math are obviously written for Harry Potter
fans... and the comments on Amazon give them the rest: "It is so hard
to read, how can they expect a first-year CS student to know about
tuples?!?"

Ok, what do we learn here? Books suck... ;)

Regards,

From: Matthias
Bernd Schmitt <··················@gmx.net> writes:

> For all those like me, who want to buy a book in my native language:
>
> 	Spektrum Akademischer Verlag:
> 	Otto Mayer,
> 	"Programmieren in COMMON LISP",
> 	second edition,
> 	isbn 3-86025-710-2.
>
> Now, I only have to read it ;)

If you haven't read it yet, how comes that you think it's good?

  Matthias
From: Bernd Schmitt
Matthias wrote:
> Bernd Schmitt <··················@gmx.net> writes:
>

>>For all those like me, who want to buy a book in my native language:
>>
>>	Spektrum Akademischer Verlag:
>>	Otto Mayer,
>>	"Programmieren in COMMON LISP",
>>	second edition,
>>	isbn 3-86025-710-2.
>>
>>Now, I only have to read it ;)
>

> If you haven't read it yet, how comes that you think it's good?

I was looking for books and all other german ones were badly in layout,
did not cover all i was looking for (lambda ...) and/or did not cover
common lisp.

Ciao,
Bernd

From: Matthias
Bernd Schmitt <··················@gmx.net> writes:

> Matthias wrote:
> > Bernd Schmitt <··················@gmx.net> writes:
> >
> >>For all those like me, who want to buy a book in my native language:
> >>
> >>	Spektrum Akademischer Verlag:
> >>	Otto Mayer,
> >>	"Programmieren in COMMON LISP",
> >>	second edition,
> >>	isbn 3-86025-710-2.
> >>
> >>Now, I only have to read it ;)
> > If you haven't read it yet, how comes that you think it's good?
>
> I was looking for books and all other german ones were badly in
> layout, did not cover all i was looking for (lambda ...) and/or did
> not cover common lisp.

Functional programming ("lambda") isn't really explained in the book.
It generally doesn't try to teach you how to solve problems or how to
program.  Unfortunately, it also doesn't work as a reference, since
too much of CL is missing.  So at least I don't know what purpose this
book has and what audience it addresses.

For learning programming I found SICP (also available in German
translation) excellent.  For learning CL Graham's book "ANSI Common
Lisp" is great and also works as a small reference book.
Unfortunately, it's only available in English (but it's very clear and
easy to read).

When you use Mayer's book, make sure not to copy its macro style:
You'll run into problems soon since in the examples symbols aren't
protected from being captured.
From: Pascal Costanza
Matthias wrote:

> For learning programming I found SICP (also available in German
> translation) excellent.  For learning CL Graham's book "ANSI Common
> Lisp" is great and also works as a small reference book.
> Unfortunately, it's only available in English (but it's very clear and
> easy to read).

Graham's "ANSI Common Lisp" is also available in German. If it's out of
print (don't know) you can probably get cheap copies via ebay.

Pascal

--
2nd European Lisp and Scheme Workshop
July 26 - Glasgow, Scotland - co-located with ECOOP 2005
From: Stefan Moeding
Hi!

Matthias <··@spam.please> writes:

> Functional programming ("lambda") isn't really explained in the book.
> It generally doesn't try to teach you how to solve problems or how to
> program.  Unfortunately, it also doesn't work as a reference, since
> too much of CL is missing.  So at least I don't know what purpose this
> book has and what audience it addresses.

Since the author also teaches at a university here in Germany, I
wouldn't be too surprised, if the book is either based on or even
replaces the lecture notes.

--
Stefan