From: alex goldman
Subject: been reading WSJ?
In http://www.paulgraham.com/bronze.html , Paul Graham writes:

"Reading the Wall Street Journal for a week should give anyone ideas for two
or three new startups. The articles are full of descriptions of problems
that need to be solved. But most of the applicants don't seem to have
looked far for ideas."

I'm curious if anyone has followed this advice and actually read WSJ for a
week or more looking for ideas?

From: GP lisper
Subject: Re: been reading WSJ?
On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 21:11:14 -0700, <·····@spamm.er> wrote:

> In http://www.paulgraham.com/bronze.html , Paul Graham writes:
>
> "Reading the Wall Street Journal for a week should give anyone ideas for two
> or three new startups. The articles are full of descriptions of problems
> that need to be solved. But most of the applicants don't seem to have
> looked far for ideas."
>
> I'm curious if anyone has followed this advice and actually read WSJ for a
> week or more looking for ideas?

You can get a free subscription to WSJ for a couple of weeks just by
signing up.  I've read it for years, off and on, and would say 'sure
there are ideas present'.  There is always a surplus of ideas around,
and they are very cheap.  Funding is another story, very much like
Catch-22.  The notices in the back are the most commonly read actually.

--
The LOOP construct is really neat, it's got a lot of knobs to turn!
Don't push the yellow one on the bottom.
From: Gorbag
"GP lisper" <········@CloudDancer.com> wrote in message
················································@teranews...
> On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 21:11:14 -0700, <·····@spamm.er> wrote:
> >
> > In http://www.paulgraham.com/bronze.html , Paul Graham writes:
> >
> > "Reading the Wall Street Journal for a week should give anyone ideas for
two
> > or three new startups. The articles are full of descriptions of problems
> > that need to be solved. But most of the applicants don't seem to have
> > looked far for ideas."
> >
> > I'm curious if anyone has followed this advice and actually read WSJ for
> > week or more looking for ideas?
>
> You can get a free subscription to WSJ for a couple of weeks just by
> signing up.  I've read it for years, off and on, and would say 'sure
> there are ideas present'.  There is always a surplus of ideas around,
> and they are very cheap.  Funding is another story, very much like
> Catch-22.  The notices in the back are the most commonly read actually.

Indeed. I've subscribed for a long time. There is a large difference between
identifying a problem and identifying a business case, and an even larger
difference between the business case and the money. Paradigm shifts at the
Fortune-500 CEO level are not easy to come by.
From: Pascal Bourguignon
alex goldman <·····@spamm.er> writes:

> In http://www.paulgraham.com/bronze.html , Paul Graham writes:
>
> "Reading the Wall Street Journal for a week should give anyone ideas for two
> or three new startups. The articles are full of descriptions of problems
> that need to be solved. But most of the applicants don't seem to have
> looked far for ideas."
>
> I'm curious if anyone has followed this advice and actually read WSJ for a
> week or more looking for ideas?

If they have, they're not reading c.l.l. anymore...

Until real software engineering is developed, the next best practice
is to develop with a dynamic system that has extreme late binding in
all aspects. The first system to really do this in an important way
is Lisp. -- Alan Kay
From: alex goldman
Pascal Bourguignon wrote:

> alex goldman <·····@spamm.er> writes:
>
>> In http://www.paulgraham.com/bronze.html , Paul Graham writes:
>>
>> "Reading the Wall Street Journal for a week should give anyone ideas for
>> two or three new startups. The articles are full of descriptions of
>> problems that need to be solved. But most of the applicants don't seem to
>> have looked far for ideas."
>>
>> I'm curious if anyone has followed this advice and actually read WSJ for
>> a week or more looking for ideas?
>
> If they have, they're not reading c.l.l. anymore...

It must be an example of that subtle French humor I keep hearing about.
From: ·····@walla.com
> >> I'm curious if anyone has followed this advice and actually read WSJ for
> >> a week or more looking for ideas?
> >
> > If they have, they're not reading c.l.l. anymore...
> >

> It must be an example of that subtle French humor I keep hearing about.

I for one found it observant but also somewhat funny. In a really sad
i-am-still-reading-cll-not-wsj way :)