From: Tim X
Subject: apropos-list, cmucl and slime question
I'm running Debian 'etch" and recently upgraded CMUCL to the latest
version (19b-pre1-20050614-1) emacs (21.4) and slime
(2:1.0.cvs-20050116) . However, when I attempted to run slime, I
received a fatal error when compiling the swank-cmucl.lisp file. The
error reported that apropos-list was being called with 3 arguments
instead of 2.

I checked the file and found calls of the form

    (apropos-list "-TYPE" "VM" t)

I checked the hyperspec and found that the definition of apropos-list
was indeed with two arguments. I then checked the changelog for cmucl,
but didn't find anything relating to apropos-list. I also have SBCL
installed and thought I'd try it out. Describe indicates that it
actually accepts 3 arguments and testing I found you could call it
with three arguments without any errors. It was not clear from
describe function what the 3rd argument does.

Trying to run apropos-list within cmucl doesn't work. I figured the
best solution was to remove the 3rd argument from the calls to
apropos-list within the swank-cmucl.lisp file. Doing this, slime now
runs, the repl connects to the swank process and everything appears to
be running OK.

I suspect I need to report this to the slime maintainers as it seems
to me that what has occured is that CMUCL has been changed to comply
more correctly with the hyperspec and apropos-list now only accepts 2
arguments. However, being still a new lisper with lots to learn, I
thought I'd first check here as I'm a little confused. In particular

    - Is my assumption that apropos-list has changed within CMUCL to
      make it more compliant with the standard valid?
    - Why does SBCL accpet 3 arguments to apropos-list? Could this
      just be an artifact of SBCL being an off-shoot from CMUCL?
    - What was the third argument for in apropos-list?
    - Is there somewhere else I should be looking to find out what has
      changed between releases as there doesn't seem to be any mention
      of apropos-list's definition changing in the release notes or
      changelog?

thanks,

Tim

--
Tim Cross

From: Edi Weitz
Subject: Re: apropos-list, cmucl and slime question
On 03 Jul 2005 19:50:30 +1000, Tim X <····@spamto.devnul.com> wrote:

> I suspect I need to report this to the slime maintainers as it seems
> to me that what has occured is that CMUCL has been changed to comply
> more correctly with the hyperspec and apropos-list now only accepts
> 2 arguments.

Yep.

Yes, see <http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.lisp.cmucl.devel/7788>.

>     - Why does SBCL accpet 3 arguments to apropos-list? Could this
>     just be an artifact of SBCL being an off-shoot from CMUCL?

Most likely.  Usually the SBCL developers are more picky[1]
w.r.t. ANSI compliance but either they've missed this one or you're
using an old version.

>     - What was the third argument for in apropos-list?

EXTERNAL-ONLY

>     - Is there somewhere else I should be looking to find out what
>     has changed between releases as there doesn't seem to be any
>     mention of apropos-list's definition changing in the release
>     notes or changelog?

It /should/ be in the release notes or the changelog, I guess they
just forgot to put it in.  If it's not in there ask on the cmucl-devel
mailing list.

Cheers,
Edi.

PS: I almost wrote "anal" instead of "picky" but then I didn't know
    where to put the smilies and how many of them...

--

Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.

From: Christophe Rhodes
Edi Weitz <········@agharta.de> writes:

> On 03 Jul 2005 19:50:30 +1000, Tim X <····@spamto.devnul.com> wrote:
>
>>     - Why does SBCL accpet 3 arguments to apropos-list? Could this
>>     just be an artifact of SBCL being an off-shoot from CMUCL?
>
> Most likely.  Usually the SBCL developers are more picky[1]
> w.r.t. ANSI compliance but either they've missed this one or you're
> using an old version.

We are -- and code that expects to pass three arguments to
apropos-list should be expected to break in the near future.  It's not
so much a question of "missed" as "haven't yet got round to" -- we
have the luxury of time-boxed releases rather than some set of release
goals, so there's no particular pressure to get 99.7% compliance
before any given SBCL release.

> PS: I almost wrote "anal" instead of "picky" but then I didn't know
>     where to put the smilies and how many of them...

Oh, no smilies is fine.

Christophe
From: Tim X
Hi Edi,

Thanks for responding. Now that you have confirmed my suspicions, I
will inform the Debian SLIME package maintainer about the change and
let the CMUCL developers know there doesn't appear to be anything in
the changelog/release notes regarding the change.

thanks,

tim

--
Tim Cross
From: Raymond Toy
Tim X wrote:
> Hi Edi,
>
> Thanks for responding. Now that you have confirmed my suspicions, I
> will inform the Debian SLIME package maintainer about the change and
> let the CMUCL developers know there doesn't appear to be anything in
> the changelog/release notes regarding the change.

You didn't say anything about which version of CMUCL, but it's right
there in release-19b.txt:

       - APROPOS and APROPOS-LIST no longer take 3 arguments.  ANSI CL
         says they only take 2.

Ray
From: Trent Buck
>> Thanks for responding. Now that you have confirmed my suspicions, I
>> will inform the Debian SLIME package maintainer about the change and
>> let the CMUCL developers know there doesn't appear to be anything in
>> the changelog/release notes regarding the change.

There's a debian package for slime?  http://packages.debian.org didn't list
anything, so I've been making my own.
--
Trent Buck, Student Errant
From: Tim X
Trent Buck <·········@gmail.com> writes:

> >> Thanks for responding. Now that you have confirmed my suspicions, I
> >> will inform the Debian SLIME package maintainer about the change and
> >> let the CMUCL developers know there doesn't appear to be anything in
> >> the changelog/release notes regarding the change.
>
> There's a debian package for slime?  http://packages.debian.org didn't list
> anything, so I've been making my own.
> --
> Trent Buck, Student Errant

It is not an official Debian package. However, there is a site you can
get one (but its a bit out of date now). I use the following line in
my sources.list file

deb http://commonwerx.org/software/contrib/slime/deb ./

Tim

--
Tim Cross
From: Trent Buck
Tim X <····@spamto.devnul.com> writes:

>> There's a Debian package for SLIME?  http://packages.debian.org didn't list
>> anything, so I've been making my own.
>
> It is not an official Debian package. However, there is a site you can
> get one (but its a bit out of date now). I use the following line in
> my sources.list file
>
> deb http://commonwerx.org/software/contrib/slime/deb ./

Ah, right.  FWIW, mine are at

	deb http://twb.ath.cx/~twb/src/debianize sarge unofficial

for powerpc and i386 (but no sources).  The interesting packages are:

	source package | version
	---------------+---------------
	cl-ncurses     | 0.1.1
	emacs-snapshot | cvs 2005-07-02
	emacs-wiki     | patch 96
	emms           | cvs 2005-06-24
	erc            | cvs 2005-07-02
	ilisp-doc      | cvs 2005-07-02
	lice           | cvs 2005-06-05
	muse-el        | patch 82
	planner-el     | patch 440
	remember-el    | patch 33
	slime          | cvs 2005-07-03
	stumpwm        | cvs 2005-07-03
	w3m-el         | cvs 2005-07-02

Help yourselves, but grab emacs-snapshot-compat if you want to use the
emacs-snapshot package with any Debian elisp packages.

The host is sees the world via a residential Bigpond cable plan, so expect the
link to be slow.

--
Trent Buck, Student Errant
From: Tim X
Raymond Toy <····@earthlink.net> writes:

> Tim X wrote:
> > Hi Edi,
> > Thanks for responding. Now that you have confirmed my suspicions, I
> > will inform the Debian SLIME package maintainer about the change and
> > let the CMUCL developers know there doesn't appear to be anything in
> > the changelog/release notes regarding the change.
>
> You didn't say anything about which version of CMUCL, but it's right
> there in release-19b.txt:
>
>        - APROPOS and APROPOS-LIST no longer take 3 arguments.  ANSI CL
>          says they only take 2.
>
> Ray

hmmm, it seems that file is not included in the Debian package (verson
19b-pre1-20050614-1). It does have a release-notes file, but there is
no mention of this in that file. I suspect either this was some mixup
in the Debian packaging or it is from a snapshot prior to the final
release and update of the file. Whichever the case, I will report it
to the package maintainer.

Thanks,

Tim

--
Tim Cross
From: GP lisper
On 05 Jul 2005 18:53:04 +1000, <····@spamto.devnul.com> wrote:
> Raymond Toy <····@earthlink.net> writes:
>
>> Tim X wrote:
>> > Hi Edi,
>> > Thanks for responding. Now that you have confirmed my suspicions, I
>> > will inform the Debian SLIME package maintainer about the change and
>> > let the CMUCL developers know there doesn't appear to be anything in
>> > the changelog/release notes regarding the change.
>>
>> You didn't say anything about which version of CMUCL, but it's right
>> there in release-19b.txt:
>>
>>        - APROPOS and APROPOS-LIST no longer take 3 arguments.  ANSI CL
>>          says they only take 2.
>
> hmmm, it seems that file is not included in the Debian package (verson
> 19b-pre1-20050614-1). It does have a release-notes file, but there is
> no mention of this in that file. I suspect either this was some mixup
> in the Debian packaging or it is from a snapshot prior to the final
> release and update of the file.

The Apropos change occurred at least a month before 19b was first
discussed.  Doesn't Debian include the original source in their
packages?

--
The LOOP construct is really neat, it's got a lot of knobs to turn!
Don't push the yellow one on the bottom.
From: Tim X
GP lisper <········@CloudDancer.com> writes:

> On 05 Jul 2005 18:53:04 +1000, <····@spamto.devnul.com> wrote:
> > Raymond Toy <····@earthlink.net> writes:

> >> You didn't say anything about which version of CMUCL, but it's right
> >> there in release-19b.txt:
> >>
> >>        - APROPOS and APROPOS-LIST no longer take 3 arguments.  ANSI CL
> >>          says they only take 2.
> >
> > hmmm, it seems that file is not included in the Debian package (verson
> > 19b-pre1-20050614-1). It does have a release-notes file, but there is
> > no mention of this in that file. I suspect either this was some mixup
> > in the Debian packaging or it is from a snapshot prior to the final
> > release and update of the file.
>
> The Apropos change occurred at least a month before 19b was first
> discussed.  Doesn't Debian include the original source in their
> packages?

Debian does have both a cmucl, cmucl-docs and cmucl-sources
packages. I've got all three installed, but there is no
release-19b.txt file and the RELEASE-NOTES file does not mention the
Apropos changes. I've reported this to the package maintainers as a
minor bug. A grep of the changelog and other files in the
/usr/share/doc/cmucl* directories also fails to find any reference to apropos
or apropos-list which refers to the changes.

Tim

--
Tim Cross
From: GP lisper
On 05 Jul 2005 22:08:57 +1000, <····@spamto.devnul.com> wrote:
> GP lisper <········@CloudDancer.com> writes:

>> > hmmm, it seems that file is not included in the Debian package (verson
>> > 19b-pre1-20050614-1). It does have a release-notes file, but there is
>> > no mention of this in that file. I suspect either this was some mixup
>> > in the Debian packaging or it is from a snapshot prior to the final
>> > release and update of the file.
>>
>> The Apropos change occurred at least a month before 19b was first
>> discussed.  Doesn't Debian include the original source in their
>> packages?
>>
> Debian does have both a cmucl, cmucl-docs and cmucl-sources
> packages. I've got all three installed, but there is no
> release-19b.txt file

Actually, based on a web review of the contents of those packages, it
looks like the entire "general-info" directory is missing in Debian,
which is where release-19b.txt resides.