From: Onay Urfalioglu
Subject: slime question
im playing around with slime+CLISP, since it seems to be the only (working?)
alternative for a free lisp-IDE...

As a c++ programmer, the most important thing i miss is a mechanism to jump
to the location/line in source code when a runtime-error occurs (at
evaluation, not at compilation). Ok, in most cases CLISP prints the line in
the error message but i would like the IDE to jump right in there...

Is there any possiblitiy for this functionality with slime? Or even other
working IDE's? What about a plugin for eclipse?

thx

--
(+::+) oni (+::+)
(I already try to be as amusing as possible, my master!)

From: Eric Lavigne
Subject: Re: slime question
>im playing around with slime+CLISP,
>since it seems to be the only (working?)
>alternative for a free lisp-IDE...

LispWorks and Allegro both offer free versions for noncommercial use.

>As a c++ programmer, the most important >thing i miss is a mechanism to jump
>to the location/line in source code when a >runtime-error occurs

Using the REPL, you can debug new code before adding it to the source
file (copy and paste from REPL to source file when you're happy with
it). When you write and debug one short function at a time, finding the
right line is just not an issue. This method works best if programming
in a functional style.
From: Edi Weitz
On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 15:18:50 +0200, Onay Urfalioglu <·····@gmx.net> wrote:

> im playing around with slime+CLISP, since it seems to be the only
> (working?)  alternative for a free lisp-IDE...

Why do you think that?  SLIME was originally written for CMUCL and
works fine with it.  AFAIK it also works fine with at least SBCL,
OpenMCL, and the free trial versions of LispWorks and AllegroCL.

Cheers,
Edi.

--

Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.

From: Marco Baringer
Onay Urfalioglu <·····@gmx.net> writes:

> im playing around with slime+CLISP, since it seems to be the only (working?)
> alternative for a free lisp-IDE...
>
> As a c++ programmer, the most important thing i miss is a mechanism to jump
> to the location/line in source code when a runtime-error occurs (at
> evaluation, not at compilation). Ok, in most cases CLISP prints the line in
> the error message but i would like the IDE to jump right in there...

in the sldb buffer type C-h b for a list of all the bindings currently
available, one of the (many) bindings is this one:

v               sldb-show-source

so go to the frame you're interested in a type v. nb: depending on the
compiler settings and lisp implementation this information may or may
not be available for all stack frames.

> Is there any possiblitiy for this functionality with slime? Or even other
> working IDE's? What about a plugin for eclipse?

it already exists in slime.

p.s. - rtfm

p.p.s. - you'll reach a more slime specific community by posting to
···········@common-lisp.net

--
-Marco
Ring the bells that still can ring.
From: Dominique Boucher
Onay Urfalioglu <·····@gmx.net> writes:
> Is there any possiblitiy for this functionality with slime? Or even other
> working IDE's? What about a plugin for eclipse?

Although it has been mostly designed with Scheme in mind, the
SchemeScript plug-in for Eclipse can be used with other Lisp
dialects. It is highly customizable (indentation, syntax-coloring,
code completion, text hovers) and you can use it to control any Lisp
interpreter from the editor (like in Emacs). So you can send files,
S-expressions, or regions to the interpreter. You can also intercept
error messages and highlight the corresponding source location in the
REPL. Clicking on the source location will open the editor at the
right location.

Here is the URL: http://sourceforge.net/projects/schemeway

Dominique