From: Peter Seibel
Subject: Now serving number 18.
Anyone who's planning on having me buy them a beer at ILC 2005 should
note that I'm now working on Chapter 18 and plan to turn in my 3rd
draft later today. So if you've got some comments on that chapter,
please send them along. If you've got comments but for some reason
can't send them now, please let me know. It's a lot easier for me to
incorporate comments at this stage, while I'm still working in Emacs,
than the next stage, when I'm in Word, so if somoone's got extensive
comments, I can hold off on turning in my 3rd draft. But I can't wait
much longer than until tomorrow since I've got to keep the pipeline
flowing.

If you're still holding onto comments on a chapter from 1-17, you
might as well still them in--I can make changes during copy edit and
even when reviewing page proofs. But obviously the bar gets raised at
each draft so that only real, horrible, show-stopper flaws will get
fixed in the later drafts while pretty much anything (within a single
chapter, anyway) can, in theory, be changed in the third draft.

For the latest on what I'm working on, you can always check out.

  <http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/pipeline.html>

You can figure that I'll be working through those 2nd-to-3rd draft
revisions on Chapters 19-32 at a rate of about one or two chapters a
day. At least that's the goal. Thanks for all the comments so far. I
feel like I'm in the home stretch now.

-Peter

From: James Graves
Subject: Re: Now serving number 18.
Peter,

I just wanted to publically thank you.  Not just for writing PCL and
making it available on the net.

I wanted to thank you because the status updates have also been
informative, and I have learned a little of what it would be like to
write a technical book.  Which I'll want to try at some point when I
have more free time than I do now (which is close to zero).

Thanks,

James Graves
From: William Bland
On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 22:13:13 +0000, James Graves wrote:

> Peter,
>
> I just wanted to publically thank you.  Not just for writing PCL and
> making it available on the net.
>
> I wanted to thank you because the status updates have also been
> informative, and I have learned a little of what it would be like to
> write a technical book.  Which I'll want to try at some point when I
> have more free time than I do now (which is close to zero).
>
> Thanks,
>
> James Graves

Me too!

Lisp on first encounter can be a twisty maze of features, and the
possibilities, while immensely exciting, can be more than enough to
make a newbie's head spin.  Your book has kept me mostly on the path of
good taste and sensibility - thank you very much Peter!

I can't wait to get my dead-tree copy (and the ones that I'm getting for
various friends birthday presents!).

Best wishes,
		Bill.