From: Peter Seibel
Subject: Final 1st draft chapter of Practical Common Lisp on web
I just put up the first draft of Chapter 32, "Conclusion: What Next?"
up on my web site at:

  <http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/conclusion-what-next.html>

In this chapter I touch on a few topics not given full coverage
elsewhere in the book such as finding libraries, packaging Lisp
applications, and optimization so there's some technical meat (i.e.
opportunities for technical errors).

Now would be a great time to take a look and send me some comments if
you want. The easiest way for me to incorporate comments is for you to
grab the source file:

  <http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/conclusion-what-next.txt>

edit it, and send me your version. I can diff that against my master
copy.

-Peter

From: James Graves
Peter Seibel  <·····@javamonkey.com> wrote:

>I just put up the first draft of Chapter 32, "Conclusion: What Next?"
>up on my web site at:
>
>  <http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/conclusion-what-next.html>
>
>In this chapter I touch on a few topics not given full coverage
>elsewhere in the book such as finding libraries, packaging Lisp
>applications, and optimization so there's some technical meat (i.e.
>opportunities for technical errors).

In the section talking about libraries:

Would it be appropriate to mention here that Debian Linux has many (more
than 40) of the more popular CL libraries packaged up and ready to go?

I think (for someone who might be inclined to try a Linux distribution)
that Debian Linux is a fast and convenient way to get started.  You can
just install the packages using apt-get, and then load them up using
ASDF.  I haven't tried all of them (or even most), but the ones I tried
with SBCL just worked.  Very nice.

James Graves
From: Peter Seibel
·······@typhoon.xnet.com (James Graves) writes:

> Peter Seibel  <·····@javamonkey.com> wrote:
>
>>I just put up the first draft of Chapter 32, "Conclusion: What Next?"
>>up on my web site at:
>>
>>  <http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/conclusion-what-next.html>
>>
>>In this chapter I touch on a few topics not given full coverage
>>elsewhere in the book such as finding libraries, packaging Lisp
>>applications, and optimization so there's some technical meat (i.e.
>>opportunities for technical errors).
>
> In the section talking about libraries:
>
> Would it be appropriate to mention here that Debian Linux has many (more
> than 40) of the more popular CL libraries packaged up and ready to go?
>
> I think (for someone who might be inclined to try a Linux distribution)
> that Debian Linux is a fast and convenient way to get started.  You can
> just install the packages using apt-get, and then load them up using
> ASDF.  I haven't tried all of them (or even most), but the ones I tried
> with SBCL just worked.  Very nice.

That's an excellent point which I was vaguely aware of but not really
think about since I haven't had the time or energy to figure out how
to switch to Debian from the Red Hat installed on my box when I bought
it. I'll take a sentence to mention it and Gentoo.

-Peter

From: Edi Weitz
On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 22:09:19 +0000 (UTC), ·······@typhoon.xnet.com (James Graves) wrote:

> In the section talking about libraries:
>
> Would it be appropriate to mention here that Debian Linux has many
> (more than 40) of the more popular CL libraries packaged up and
> ready to go?
>
> I think (for someone who might be inclined to try a Linux
> distribution) that Debian Linux is a fast and convenient way to get
> started.  You can just install the packages using apt-get, and then
> load them up using ASDF.  I haven't tried all of them (or even
> most), but the ones I tried with SBCL just worked.  Very nice.

The same applies to Gentoo Linux, by the way.  Might have even more
Lisp libraries than Debian:

  <http://www.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/dev-lisp/>

Cheers,
Edi.

--

Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.

From: Brad Anderson
Edi beat me to it, but I, too, was going to tout the Lisp proliferation
in the Gentoo community...

BA

From: Matthew D Swank
Of course some of them (notably McCLIM which dates from June of last
year) are a little out of date.

mds

From: Peter Scott
Matthew D Swank wrote:
> Of course some of them (notably McCLIM which dates from June of last
> year) are a little out of date.

That's because McCLIM hasn't made an official release since November
2003, and the standard advice is to get the CVS version.

-Peter
From: Holger Duerer
  [...]

    Peter> Now would be a great time to take a look and send me some
    Peter> comments if you want.

One thing that I noticed on a quick first read:  It is almost cruel to
recommend "On Lisp" if it is out of print and virtually unavailable
even second-hand.  Maybe (after confirmation from Mr Graham and/or
APress) you could make that a reference to the (hopefully) upcoming
re-release of the book?

 [...]

	Holger
From: Bruce Stephens
Holger Duerer <········@gmx.net> writes:

>   [...]
>
>     Peter> Now would be a great time to take a look and send me some
>     Peter> comments if you want.
>
> One thing that I noticed on a quick first read:  It is almost cruel to
> recommend "On Lisp" if it is out of print and virtually unavailable
> even second-hand.  Maybe (after confirmation from Mr Graham and/or
> APress) you could make that a reference to the (hopefully) upcoming
> re-release of the book?

If the reprint is definite then referring to that would be good.  In
the meantime the book's available in PDF free, from Paul Graham's
website, so I don't think the recommendation is too cruel.
From: GP lisper
On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 13:49:04 +0000, <············@cenderis.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>>   [...]
>>
>>     Peter> Now would be a great time to take a look and send me some
>>     Peter> comments if you want.
>>
>> One thing that I noticed on a quick first read:  It is almost cruel to
>> recommend "On Lisp" if it is out of print and virtually unavailable
>> even second-hand.  Maybe (after confirmation from Mr Graham and/or
>> APress) you could make that a reference to the (hopefully) upcoming
>> re-release of the book?
>
> If the reprint is definite then referring to that would be good.  In
> the meantime the book's available in PDF free, from Paul Graham's
> website, so I don't think the recommendation is too cruel.

~422 pages, double-sided, and bound at Kinkos is $40.  Now where is my
3 hole punch....

--
Everyman has three hearts;
one to show the world, one to show friends, and one only he knows.
From: Bruce Stephens
GP lisper <········@CloudDancer.com> writes:

[...]

> ~422 pages, double-sided, and bound at Kinkos is $40.  Now where is
> my 3 hole punch....

I imagine the expectation is that people would read it on a computer.
Other forms are available, although I'm not sure the legality of them
is.  For example, I turned a texinfo version into HTML and used
plucker to turn it into something my Palm can read, which I find very
convenient.  (My first attempt ended up with rather challenging code
examples without any indentation, but a quick hack to texi2html
produced sufficiently simple HTML so that the indentation is
preserved.  It still contains formatting (and possibly other) errors,
but it's acceptable to me until the reprint is available.)
From: Albert Reiner
[Peter Seibel <·····@javamonkey.com>, Mon, 31 Jan 2005 21:43:55 GMT]:
>   <http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/conclusion-what-next.html>

Fortran hasn't been capitalized in a long time, and it shouldn't be in
your book either except to signal a distant past: While LISP was
certainly slower than FORTRAN, Lisp may come close to Fortran
nowadays.

Albert.
From: Peter Seibel
Albert Reiner <·······@tph.tuwien.ac.at> writes:

> [Peter Seibel <·····@javamonkey.com>, Mon, 31 Jan 2005 21:43:55 GMT]:
>>   <http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/conclusion-what-next.html>
>
> Fortran hasn't been capitalized in a long time, and it shouldn't be in
> your book either except to signal a distant past: While LISP was
> certainly slower than FORTRAN, Lisp may come close to Fortran
> nowadays.

Yeah. Originally I used "Fortran" but eventually my copy-editor and I
were going crazy figuring out how to capitalize different programming
language names so rather we picked a listing of languages on the web
and used it as a style guide. And it used FORTRAN (but Lisp and
Algol). Maybe not the best way but at least it kept us consistent.
Anyway, most of the time I'm talking about Fortran/FORTRAN I'm talking
about the past. Plus, too late--there are chapters already past final
proof that have FORTRAN.

-Peter