From: Andrew P. Lentvorski, Jr.
Subject: Lisp data structures repository?
Is there a data structures repository or library for Common Lisp?
Something along the lines of what C++ has in Boost ( www.boost.org )

I took a quick look around Google and Cliki, but only seemed to find
the occasional library, and generally only one data structure.
Unfortunately, most of them tended to be rather sparsely tested, and
not necessarily very conformant with the standard naming/usage
conventions of Common Lisp.

For my particular application, I was looking for a heap.  I found one
here: http://www.lisp-p.org/lisp-heap/ but it has a GPL license and,
consequently, cannot really be used in my code.

Yes, I can write one.  But all that results in is another sparsely
tested, weakly conformant data structure.  And, while my current need
was a simple heap, I can forsee the need for other structures coming
up.

If I'm going to write a heap (and it looks like I will have to), I'd at
least like to submit it with a BSD license and unit tests (probably
using clos-unit as its license looks to be effectively BSD) to some
folks to get dissected, vetted, and put forth for future usage by
others.  Especially since I don't necessarily understand the Common
Lisp style/conventions very well.

Thanks,
-a

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Lisp data structures repository?
"Andrew P. Lentvorski, Jr." <·····@allcaps.org> writes:

> Is there a data structures repository or library for Common Lisp?
> Something along the lines of what C++ has in Boost ( www.boost.org )
>
> I took a quick look around Google and Cliki, but only seemed to find
> the occasional library, and generally only one data structure.
> Unfortunately, most of them tended to be rather sparsely tested, and
> not necessarily very conformant with the standard naming/usage
> conventions of Common Lisp.
>
> For my particular application, I was looking for a heap.  I found one
> here: http://www.lisp-p.org/lisp-heap/ but it has a GPL license and,
> consequently, cannot really be used in my code.
>
> Yes, I can write one.  But all that results in is another sparsely
> tested, weakly conformant data structure.  And, while my current need
> was a simple heap, I can forsee the need for other structures coming
> up.
>
> If I'm going to write a heap (and it looks like I will have to), I'd at
> least like to submit it with a BSD license and unit tests (probably
> using clos-unit as its license looks to be effectively BSD) to some
> folks to get dissected, vetted, and put forth for future usage by
> others.  Especially since I don't necessarily understand the Common
> Lisp style/conventions very well.

Either:

    Yes, what you found is what there is.

or:

    You've not searched well. For example, if you want a blackboard
    data structure, here is a very nice free one: http://www.gbbopen.org/
    (there is an older, more tested and proved one, but not free in the
    CMU AI Repository http://openresource.com/openres/archives/P/AIR.shtml )

    You can find all kind of data structure either in independant
    libraries or embedded in lisp code. Search sourceforge.net or
    common-lisp.org or telent.net for example.

There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not
want merely because you think it would be good for him. -- Robert Heinlein
From: Peter Scott
I'd like to take this opportunity to plug TREES, which lets you use
several tree data structures for searching. See
<http://www.cliki.net/TREES> for more information, and note that it's
asdf-installable. It's under a BSD license, so that should work for
you.

-Peter