From: Andreas Thiele
Subject: Buying Lispworks with maintenance?
Hi,

now I plan to buy Lispworks Professional. What do you think, should I buy
maintenance too?
Up to now I've never been in a situation where I needed any support. But it
may be an advantage when it comes to updates/upgrades (if these come within
a year). What do other users think?

Andreas

From: Edi Weitz
Subject: Re: Buying Lispworks with maintenance?
On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 15:31:13 +0100, "Andreas Thiele" <······@nospam.com> wrote:

> now I plan to buy Lispworks Professional. What do you think, should
> I buy maintenance too?  Up to now I've never been in a situation
> where I needed any support. But it may be an advantage when it comes
> to updates/upgrades (if these come within a year). What do other
> users think?

Note that support and maintenance are different things and bought
separately.  Maintenance basically means that you plan to buy upgrades
once they are released.  If you have a maintenance contract then
upgrades will be cheaper for you in the long run and LispWorks
Ltd. will get, in return, a part of your money in advance.

Support is bought independently of maintenance contracts.

Another difference is that you can buy support incidents at any time
while a maintenance contract has to be bought together with the
product it refers to as far as I understand.

FWIW, I've recently upgraded from 4.3 to 4.4 and bought a maintenance
contract this time.  I've been a customer since 4.2 and it seems that
through a maintenance contract I can safe some bucks.

Cheers,
Edi.

--

Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.

From: Rene de Visser
I bought Lispworks without maintanence a couple of years ago, so I am stuck
on 4.2.7.

At the time the buying price was cheaper than it is now and the maintanence
was a bit dearer (I think).

I am quite happy with 4.2.7 and help over the lispworks listserver is very
good.

Still I think that getting it with support is a good idea, even if you pay
for maintanence for several years, before upgrading it still works out.

And I only use Lispworks for a hobby.

For commercial work I would definitely get maintanence. Who knows when you
might get stuck and need those support calls
(At least before you got six support calls include in the price as well as
free upgrades).

Rene.

····················@news.t-online.com...

From: Marco Antoniotti
IMHO, the key thing LW (and Franz) offer through "maintainance" is
upgrade to the next version revision.  If you do not mind skipping a
release or two, then maybe you are better off getting a full blown
license every two or three years.  But it depends.  Personally I'd go
with maintainance, as you cannot predict what you will "miss" in the
next release.

Cheers

Marco

From: Friedrich Dominicus
"Andreas Thiele" <······@nospam.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> now I plan to buy Lispworks Professional. What do you think, should I buy
> maintenance too?
Yes. In the long run it will get less expensive.

Regards
Friedrich

--
Please remove just-for-news- to reply via e-mail.