From: Thomas Gagne
Subject: What happened to the Sybase interface to CLISP
<http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/project/ai-repository/ai/lang/lisp/impl/clisp/0.html>
  mentions a Sybase SQL interface, but I don't see it in the distribution anymore.

Perhaps I'm googling around in the wrong place.  I also see reference to
something called CLIPS, but I don't think it's just a misspelling of CLISP.

From: Emre Sevinc
Subject: Re: What happened to the Sybase interface to CLISP
Thomas Gagne <······@wide-open-west.com> writes:

> I also see reference
> to something called CLIPS, but I don't think it's just a misspelling
> of CLISP.

It isn't.

"CLIPS is a productive development and delivery expert system tool
which provides a complete environment for the construction of rule
and/or object based expert systems. Created in 1985, CLIPS is now widely
used throughout the government, industry, and academia.

The origins of the C Language Integrated Production System (CLIPS) date
back to 1984 at NASA's Johnson Space Center. At this time, the Artificial
Intelligence Section had developed over a dozen prototype expert systems
applications using state-of-the-art hardware and software. However, despite
extensive demonstrations of the potential of expert systems, few of these
applications were put into regular use. This failure to provide expert
systems technology within NASA's operational computing constraints could
largely be traced to the use of LISP as the base language for
nearly all expert system software tools at that time. In particular,
three problems hindered the use of LISP based expert system tools within NASA:
the low availability of LISP on a wide variety of conventional computers,
the high cost of state-of-the-art LISP tools and hardware, and the poor
integration of LISP with other languages (making embedded applications
difficult)."

http://www.ghg.net/clips/WhatIsCLIPS.html

--
Emre Sevinc

eMBA Software Developer         Actively engaged in:
http:www.bilgi.edu.tr           http://ileriseviye.org
http://www.bilgi.edu.tr         http://fazlamesai.net
Cognitive Science Student       http://cazci.com
http://www.cogsci.boun.edu.tr
From: Christopher Browne
After takin a swig o' Arrakan spice grog, Thomas Gagne <······@wide-open-west.com> belched out:
> <http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/project/ai-repository/ai/lang/lisp/impl/clisp/0.html>
> mentions a Sybase SQL interface, but I don't see it in the
> distribution anymore.
>
> Perhaps I'm googling around in the wrong place.  I also see
> reference to something called CLIPS, but I don't think it's just a
> misspelling of CLISP.

No, CLIPS is quite distinct from CLISP.

CLIPS is an expert system tool.
<http://www.ghg.net/clips/WhatIsCLIPS.html>