From: lin8080
Subject: Re: Pt. II - Continued
·······@runbox.com schrieb:

> 90% of what I intend to do now and in the future is write web
> applications that perform regular business processes (groupware, loan
> processing, accounting, etc.), but I also want to be able to write
> desktop applications (w/ GUI) using the chosen language.  Boring stuff
> to a computer scientist, probably, but I'm a former business
> professor who became a business drone.

This is an unexpected answere:

Learn Mathematic.

80% of what you described you want to do is math.
You can invest 15% on Psychologie and Rethoric lessons.
The remaining 5% you can easy buy on the software-market.

Think about.

To programm all that for your own, only to get exactly what you want to
have - does not justify the extravagance.

A typical programmer sits infront of his box and is heavyly afraid of
finding three or four lines of new code that goes to the ocean. Is it
that what you want? These boxes are changing and so do the code-lines.

Also, mastering a lisp-interpreter requires more than the will to do so.
I don't know your learning-curve, so set a random dimension: two years
from mornig to evening. You should eat lisp, dream from and more, only
to see that there are corners you did not visit. And what will you have
then? The world in a box, while you have it already in your brain.

Anyway. Lisp is the only way, I tell a computer to do what I mean. Since
around 1987 untill now I am glad with it. And every look over the fence
teached me horrible things are going on ...

stefan

selling 120GB iPod HD for $35 but the music inside is worth: ooh...