From: James Graves
Subject: LTk Remote and security
I'm starting to look at LTk for a small GUI application.  I kind of like
the idea of creating a "Lisp server" which runs the actual application,
and just installing Tk and the remote.tcl wrapper program on the client
machines.

However, I'd prefer to have some security over the wire.

Has anyone set up such a system and used (for example) SSL to encrypt
the connection between the client and the server?  I'm sure I could
figure it out, but I was hoping someone had some code already lying
around.

James Graves

From: Peter Herth
Subject: Re: LTk Remote and security
James Graves wrote:
> I'm starting to look at LTk for a small GUI application.  I kind of like
> the idea of creating a "Lisp server" which runs the actual application,
> and just installing Tk and the remote.tcl wrapper program on the client
> machines.
>
> However, I'd prefer to have some security over the wire.
>
> Has anyone set up such a system and used (for example) SSL to encrypt
> the connection between the client and the server?  I'm sure I could
> figure it out, but I was hoping someone had some code already lying
> around.
>
> James Graves

I am in no way a security expert, but a possible solution might be
by using SSH-tunnels. Just install a SSH tunnel from your client
machine to the server and connect with ltk-remote to the tunnel
on your lokal system.

Peter

--
pet project: http://dawn.netcologne.de
homepage:    http://www.peter-herth.de
From: James Graves
Peter Herth  <·······@t-online.de> wrote:

>James Graves wrote:
>>
>> Has anyone set up such a system and used (for example) SSL to encrypt
>> the connection between the client and the server?  I'm sure I could
>> figure it out, but I was hoping someone had some code already lying
>> around.
>>
>> James Graves
>
>I am in no way a security expert, but a possible solution might be
>by using SSH-tunnels. Just install a SSH tunnel from your client
>machine to the server and connect with ltk-remote to the tunnel
>on your lokal system.

This will work, and it will be secure.  However, I was hoping for a more
integrated solution, which would be easier for the user to start up.

And also easier to deploy as a packaged solution.

It may be possible to script the ssh setup.  I would still want the user
to type in a login name and password anyway, so that's not a problem.

James Graves
From: ········@gmail.com
look at tclkit, www.equi4.com I think for the client.  Someone else
maintains a tclkit enhanced with ssl/openssh, among other things,
somewhere on sourceforge also.  Also portabale allegroserve may have
ssl bindings as well.

marc