From: Will Hartung
Subject: Re: Lisp or Smalltalk: Suicide Mission, Part II
<·······@runbox.com> wrote in message
·····························@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Since I'm focused on real-world productivity, if I can get 90% of the
> benefit of something with only 50% of the complexity, and still achieve
> my goals, then that is a GOOD tradeoff for me.

Answer: Neither.

You don't want to be a programmer, programming isn't your goal, and you just
want to Get Things Done.

Then go learn Java or C#/VB.

If you're happy with the Windows platform, C#/VB. If you're not, then Java.

What you want to do is basically what everyone else wants to do: Glue Stuff
together that does what you want. In order to achieve that, you need a lot
of Stuff available to glue togther. Java/C#/VB has a lot of Stuff in terms
of free and commercial libraries, frameworks, and applications that you can
Glue together to Get Things Done.

You don't need the ability to easily craft Stuff from mere bits and build
them up into modern wonders, plus you simply don't have the experience to
pull it off in the short term. Rather you need to bolt Stuff that other
folks have crafted from mere bits and bend them to your will.

While Smalltalk and Lisp are wonderful langauges and have great
environments, they're not as good in the assembling bits together department
simply because they lack the wide array of parts to bolt together. They're
great as a raw material, but you want more finished goods.

Java/C#/VB have a LOT of finished goods.

Any productivity gains that Lisp or Smalltalk may give can't beat the
productivity of using something that's already written.

So, off you go then. I'll look for your: Java or C#: Sucide Mission, Pt III
cross post on c.l.j.p where we can discuss the finer points of that
decision.

Seriously. This is the BMW/Mercedes debate for guy who's looking for a
truck. You need to go to the GM/Ford dealers.

Regards,

Will Hartung
(·····@msoft.com)

From: Thomas Gagne
Will Hartung wrote:
<snip>

> So, off you go then. I'll look for your: Java or C#: Sucide Mission, Pt III
> cross post on c.l.j.p where we can discuss the finer points of that
> decision.

Don't you mean c.l.j.a?
From: ·······@runbox.com
Thanks for that suggestion.  I think you're probably right from a
business and financial perspective :-(

<BUT>

I don't like Java (or C#...or Microsoft...)

If I'm going to fail miserably, I at least want to enjoy myself on the
way down - and to be able to look at myself in the mirror.