From: Peter Seibel
Subject: Re: Lisp or Smalltalk: Suicide Mission, Part II
·······@runbox.com writes:

> I'm trying to decide between learning Lisp and Smalltalk.
>
> I'm primarily interested in insights from people who have worked
> with both.

I haven't ever used Smalltalk in anger but I've read about it quite a
bit and spent a year pair-programming (in Java) with an ex-Smalltalker
and got to hear all his rants about why it kicks Java's butt (which it
does). So I think I'm reasonably well qualified to say this: Both
Smalltalk and Common Lisp are miles ahead of the next other likely
choices so you can't really go too far wrong no matter which you
choose. Learn either one. Someday learn the other one and then you'll
understand the first one better.

-Peter