From: John DeSoi
Subject: pgEdit - PostgreSQL editor created with Lisp
If anyone is interested, I just finished my first commercial application
using LispWorks. pgEdit is a high performance SQL editor and development
environment for PostgreSQL. pgEdit features include SQL syntax coloring,
direct source code execution, Unicode support, integrated documentation,
and extensive customizable editing facilities. pgEdit is available for
Macintosh OS X 10.3 and Windows NT/2000/XP.

PostgreSQL 8.0 was released yesterday. This version includes the first
native Windows port. See http://www.postgresql.org/ for details.

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/
Power Tools for PostgreSQL

From: Andreas Thiele
Subject: Re: pgEdit - PostgreSQL editor created with Lisp
John,

I'd like to know how you achieve the XP look. I am new to GUI programming in
Lisp(Works) and just browsing LispWorks CAPI manuals.

Can one do this using CAPI? Which libraries do you use?

Andreas

·······················@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...

From: Peter Scott
CAPI uses the native widgets on Windows and OSX, and Motif widgets on
Linux. If you just use CAPI, it should look fairly nice. So, nothing to
worry about.

-Peter
From: John DeSoi
Hi Andreas,

Andreas Thiele wrote:
> John,
>
> I'd like to know how you achieve the XP look. I am new to GUI programming in
> Lisp(Works) and just browsing LispWorks CAPI manuals.
>
> Can one do this using CAPI? Which libraries do you use?

pgEdit is all done with CAPI. I have done some FLI tweaking using Win32
and Cocoa on OS X to fix or improve various things.

You get the XP look with LispWorks by including a manifest file in the
same directory as your application. The name of the file needs to be
appName.exe.manifest. It is just an XML file -- I have included the
contents of pgEdit.exe.manifest below.

Unfortunately, LispWorks does not draw everything correctly when the XP
style is enabled. The main thing I have not been able to solve is that
some control labels have the wrong background color when used in a tab
control. I think there are a few other issues, but this is the only
problem I'm aware of in pgEdit.

If anyone is interested, I've started a blog for pgEdit development
which is so far mostly about Lisp.

http://pgedit.com/blog/1

Best,

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/
Power Tools for PostgreSQL

====
<assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0">
   <assemblyIdentity
     version="1.0.0.0"
     processorArchitecture="X86"
     name="pgedit.com.pgEdit"
     type="win32"
   />
   <description>pgEdit</description>
   <dependency>
     <dependentAssembly>
       <assemblyIdentity
         type="win32"
         name="Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls"
         version="6.0.0.0"
         processorArchitecture="X86"
         publicKeyToken="6595b64144ccf1df"
         language="*"
       />
     </dependentAssembly>
   </dependency>
</assembly>
From: Andreas Thiele
> You get the XP look with LispWorks by including a manifest file in the
> same directory as your application. The name of the file needs to be
> appName.exe.manifest. It is just an XML file -- I have included the
> contents of pgEdit.exe.manifest below.

John,

thanks a lot for your fast and very helpful answer. Copy&Paste did the job
:)
I get the typical XP buttons and tab pages. Of course I'm not in the details
yet.

Andreas