From: Russell Wallace
Subject: Sandboxing?
Is there any implementation of Common Lisp or Scheme (or any other
Lisp family language) that allows sandboxing of runtime-generated
code?

I'm not referring to security so much as resource consumption;
specifically, I'd be looking to be able to say, at runtime, "compile
and run this chunk of code provided it doesn't overflow the stack [not
using a stack at all would be even better], and takes no more than X
bytes of heap and Y cycles of CPU time".

(The job I have in mind would be a variant of genetic programming, so
efficiency of compiled code would also be a relevant issue.)

"Always look on the bright side of life."
For mail, replace no.spam with my full name.

From: Jens Axel Søgaard
Subject: Re: Sandboxing?
Russell Wallace wrote:

> Is there any implementation of Common Lisp or Scheme (or any other
> Lisp family language) that allows sandboxing of runtime-generated
> code?
>
> I'm not referring to security so much as resource consumption;
> specifically, I'd be looking to be able to say, at runtime, "compile
> and run this chunk of code provided it doesn't overflow the stack [not
> using a stack at all would be even better], and takes no more than X
> bytes of heap and Y cycles of CPU time".

For PLT Scheme look at custodians:

<http://download.plt-scheme.org/doc/209/html/mzscheme/mzscheme-Z-H-9.html#node_chap_9>

--
Jens Axel Søgaard
From: Darren Bane
From: Darren Bane
For Scheme 48 read about the W7 security kernel:
http://pluto.mumble.net/~jar/pubs/secureos/secureos.html