From: Ralph Richard Cook
Subject: Any experiences with Acornsoft Lisp?
I got Gordon Liang's book "Digital Retro" for Christmas, and in the
picture of the Acorn Electron, from 1983, it has a Acornsoft Lisp
cartridge in it. Some Googling also shows that it was available on
tape and disk as well.

Wondering if anyone here used it, any experiences, good or bad, that
you remember. Was Lisp useful on the little 8-bit micros of the day?

From: Kenny Ranerup
Subject: Re: Any experiences with Acornsoft Lisp?
Ralph Richard Cook wrote:
> I got Gordon Liang's book "Digital Retro" for Christmas, and in the
> picture of the Acorn Electron, from 1983, it has a Acornsoft Lisp
> cartridge in it. Some Googling also shows that it was available on
> tape and disk as well.
>
> Wondering if anyone here used it, any experiences, good or bad, that
> you remember. Was Lisp useful on the little 8-bit micros of the day?

Don't know about Acorn Electron but the Acorn Atom Lisp is available
for the Atom emulator. Haven't found a manual for Atom Lisp though.
http://www.stairwaytohell.com/atom/wouterras/

   Kenny Ranerup
From: Gareth McCaughan
·············@bellsouth.net (Ralph Richard Cook) writes:

> I got Gordon Liang's book "Digital Retro" for Christmas, and in the
> picture of the Acorn Electron, from 1983, it has a Acornsoft Lisp
> cartridge in it. Some Googling also shows that it was available on
> tape and disk as well.
>
> Wondering if anyone here used it, any experiences, good or bad, that
> you remember. Was Lisp useful on the little 8-bit micros of the day?

Someone called Marc Mertens mentions it in his "Road to Lisp".
I had a BBC micro way back when but I don't think I ever used
Acornsoft Lisp. I expect it was rather poor by today's standards,
and I doubt it was useful for much more than inspiration,
education and playing about.

--
Gareth McCaughan
.sig under construc
From: John Connors
Ralph Richard Cook wrote:
> I got Gordon Liang's book "Digital Retro" for Christmas, and in the
> picture of the Acorn Electron, from 1983, it has a Acornsoft Lisp
> cartridge in it. Some Googling also shows that it was available on
> tape and disk as well.
>
> Wondering if anyone here used it, any experiences, good or bad, that
> you remember. Was Lisp useful on the little 8-bit micros of the day?

I remember it well; but it wasn't much of a LISP, I learnt some of the
basics on it - COND, CADR, DEFUN, etc. Somehow I missed DEFMACRO - I'm
not sure it was there. Comparing it to something like SBCL is like
comparing a three wheel trike to a Space Shuttle.

It did learn a bit about data-driven programming and recursive data
structures from it. It had some implementations of classic progs - the
animals guessing game, Eliza, and a text-adventure - with it.

--
Cyborg Animation Programmer
http://yagc.blogspot.com