From: Dave Roberts
Subject: Saving Peter Seibel's honor
Now that Peter Siebel is getting close to releasing his book, I
thought that I should speak up. Something, frankly, has been bothering
me about Peter. It isn't his programming skills; those are clearly
top-notch. It isn't even his writing skills; those are clearly up to
the challenge of writing a book. In short, Peter seems like an
intelligent, well-educated purveyer of the programming art. Indeed,
the fact that he has shifted from an early Java disciple to a Lisp
disciple is admirable.

The problem, my friends, is his email signature:

> --
> Peter Seibel                                      ·····@javamonkey.com
>
>          Lisp is the red pill. -- John Fraser, comp.lang.lisp

You see, Peter has not quite made the conversion to full Lisp
master. He's holding on. Clearly, he's conflicted about it. He has a
nice bit of Lisp advocacy in there at the end, but the
"javamonkey.com" address shows he's not quite willing to fully
commit.

Thus, my friends, I have taken the bold step of registering and
parking "lispmonkey.com" for Peter. When he's ready to take the final
plunge, I would urge Peter to contact me and we can finalize the
domain transfer. I pray this will occur before his book goes to press
such that any new Lisp disciples brought to the "one true faith" will
not find their sensei in this state of half commitment. This is
particularly true if Peter has decided to include any "You can contact
the author at: ···@javamonkey.com," statements in his book.

---

Dave Roberts
dave at findinglisp dot com

From: Peter Seibel
Subject: Re: Saving Peter Seibel's honor
Dave Roberts <·····@droberts.com> writes:

> Now that Peter Siebel is getting close to releasing his book, I
> thought that I should speak up. Something, frankly, has been
> bothering me about Peter. It isn't his programming skills; those are
> clearly top-notch. It isn't even his writing skills; those are
> clearly up to the challenge of writing a book. In short, Peter seems
> like an intelligent, well-educated purveyer of the programming art.
> Indeed, the fact that he has shifted from an early Java disciple to
> a Lisp disciple is admirable.
>
> The problem, my friends, is his email signature:
>
>> --
>> Peter Seibel                                      ·····@javamonkey.com
>>
>>          Lisp is the red pill. -- John Fraser, comp.lang.lisp
>

> You see, Peter has not quite made the conversion to full Lisp
> master. He's holding on. Clearly, he's conflicted about it. He has a
> nice bit of Lisp advocacy in there at the end, but the
> "javamonkey.com" address shows he's not quite willing to fully
> commit.

Heh. I've been aware of that incongruity; I've just been too lazy to
do anything about it. But that's is why the book is on
gigamonkeys.com. I guess now is as good a time as any to make the
switch. So, unless I've dorked up something in my Emacs config, this
message should be from the new me.

> Thus, my friends, I have taken the bold step of registering and
> parking "lispmonkey.com" for Peter. When he's ready to take the final
> plunge, I would urge Peter to contact me and we can finalize the
> domain transfer.

I'm touched. I actually considered registering lispmonkey.com some
time ago but decided that it doesn't have quite the same ring to
it--my javamonkey domain was always meant as a subtle dig at
Java--even when I liked it, I realized it was for monkeys. I don't
feel that way about Lisp.

> I pray this will occur before his book goes to press such that any
> new Lisp disciples brought to the "one true faith" will not find
> their sensei in this state of half commitment. This is particularly
> true if Peter has decided to include any "You can contact the author
> at: ···@javamonkey.com," statements in his book.

No, book stuff--and my main email now on, will be at gigamonkeys.com.
As in, you can hire a billion monkeys, or you can hire me!

-Peter

--
Peter Seibel                                     ·····@gigamonkeys.com

From: Dave Roberts
Peter Seibel <·····@gigamonkeys.com> writes:

> > Thus, my friends, I have taken the bold step of registering and
> > parking "lispmonkey.com" for Peter. When he's ready to take the final
> > plunge, I would urge Peter to contact me and we can finalize the
> > domain transfer.
>
> I'm touched. I actually considered registering lispmonkey.com some
> time ago but decided that it doesn't have quite the same ring to
> it--my javamonkey domain was always meant as a subtle dig at
> Java--even when I liked it, I realized it was for monkeys. I don't
> feel that way about Lisp.

Doh! So are you telling me that I just shelled out a year's worth of
domain registration for nothing? ;-)

> > I pray this will occur before his book goes to press such that any
> > new Lisp disciples brought to the "one true faith" will not find
> > their sensei in this state of half commitment. This is particularly
> > true if Peter has decided to include any "You can contact the author
> > at: ···@javamonkey.com," statements in his book.
>
> No, book stuff--and my main email now on, will be at gigamonkeys.com.
> As in, you can hire a billion monkeys, or you can hire me!

Yea, but once you started using Lisp I would have figured it would
increase your productivity. Do I now have to go and register
"teramonkeys.com" for you...? ;-)

Sheesh...

--
Dave Roberts
dave -remove- AT findinglisp DoT com
From: Peter Seibel
Dave Roberts <···········@remove-findinglisp.com> writes:

> Peter Seibel <·····@gigamonkeys.com> writes:
>
>> > Thus, my friends, I have taken the bold step of registering and
>> > parking "lispmonkey.com" for Peter. When he's ready to take the final
>> > plunge, I would urge Peter to contact me and we can finalize the
>> > domain transfer.
>>
>> I'm touched. I actually considered registering lispmonkey.com some
>> time ago but decided that it doesn't have quite the same ring to
>> it--my javamonkey domain was always meant as a subtle dig at
>> Java--even when I liked it, I realized it was for monkeys. I don't
>> feel that way about Lisp.
>
> Doh! So are you telling me that I just shelled out a year's worth of
> domain registration for nothing? ;-)

Well, if you can't think of anything to do with it, I can take it off
your hands. I've got plenty of other domains sitting around waiting
for something to do. At the very least, I could set up javamonkey.com
to redirect to lispmonkey.com. That'd be sort of funny, especially if
I put up something on lispmonkey.com about how Lisp isn't for monkeys.
;-) (I'd have to get the tone just right; no need to be too rude to
folks still trapped in the Java mines.)

-Peter

--
Peter Seibel                                     ·····@gigamonkeys.com

From: Cor Gest
Peter Seibel <·····@gigamonkeys.com> writes:

> for something to do. At the very least, I could set up javamonkey.com
> to redirect to lispmonkey.com. That'd be sort of funny, especially if
> I put up something on lispmonkey.com about how Lisp isn't for monkeys.
> ;-) (I'd have to get the tone just right; no need to be too rude to
> folks still trapped in the Java mines.)

The internet as an entity may appear to have a sheer unfallable
memory, but it lacks the ingenuity of a human brain, which is more
flexible and swift than any search-engine can predict, even if that
could be cast in lisp, lisp would never allow itself to be casted.

Cor

--
To really make a mess of things one should use a computer
From: dkixk
Peter Seibel <·····@gigamonkeys.com> writes:

> for something to do. At the very least, I could set up javamonkey.com
> to redirect to lispmonkey.com. That'd be sort of funny, especially if
> I put up something on lispmonkey.com about how Lisp isn't for
monkeys.
> ;-) (I'd have to get the tone just right; no need to be too rude to
> folks still trapped in the Java mines.)

You could have lispman.  Java monkey vs lisp man.  And then there is a
bit of an evolution/devolution "joke".  Man evolved from monkeys (with
the exception of something like half of Kansas) but Java devolved from
Lisp.  I wish I could think of a good combination of lisp and
homosapien.  Lisapien does work nor does lispien or lispsapien...
From: Kenny Tilton
dkixk wrote:
> Peter Seibel <·····@gigamonkeys.com> writes:
>

>>for something to do. At the very least, I could set up javamonkey.com
>>to redirect to lispmonkey.com. That'd be sort of funny, especially if
>>I put up something on lispmonkey.com about how Lisp isn't for
>
> monkeys.
>
>>;-) (I'd have to get the tone just right; no need to be too rude to
>>folks still trapped in the Java mines.)
>

> You could have lispman.  Java monkey vs lisp man.  And then there is a
> bit of an evolution/devolution "joke".  Man evolved from monkeys...

Not.

You understand nothing. This is not a matter of evolution. McCarthy
created Lisp, and He saw that it was Good. Game over.

My chimps call me Lispgod. That works.

kt
From: George Neuner
On 25 Feb 2005 12:19:26 -0800, "dkixk" <······@gmail.com> wrote:

>Man evolved from monkeys but Java devolved from Lisp.

The analogy is wrong.

Man evolved in parallel with monkeys from a common ancestor.  AFAICT
the only common ancestor of both Lisp and Java is assembler.  It's the
same as saying man and monkey evolved from a common amoeboid.  Not
superior joke material IMO.

Java looks more like a bastard child of C++ and Modula-3 than any
relation to Lisp.

George
--
for email reply remove "/" from address
From: Christopher C. Stacy
George Neuner <·········@comcast.net> writes:

> On 25 Feb 2005 12:19:26 -0800, "dkixk" <······@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Man evolved from monkeys but Java devolved from Lisp.
>
> The analogy is wrong.
>
> Man evolved in parallel with monkeys from a common ancestor.  AFAICT
> the only common ancestor of both Lisp and Java is assembler.  It's the
> same as saying man and monkey evolved from a common amoeboid.  Not
> superior joke material IMO.
>
> Java looks more like a bastard child of C++ and Modula-3 than any
> relation to Lisp.

JAVA has directly borrowed some things from Lisp and tried to
stuff them into its rather different different kind of shoe.
Most modern languages are painful in that way; Lisp's core
feature is that the language is so extensible and so nebulous
that it can evolve without betraying itself.

In general, Lisp is better able than other languages to steal all
the good ideas from other languages.  The popular modern versions
of Lisp are certainly quite different from the original, mostly as
a result of stealing from other languages (including FORTRAN, PL/I,
Algol, Smalltalk, APL. and others) and working in and originating
a lot of original innovation.

People often ask what "Lisp" is.
One answer rarely given is: "Not much".
Another answer is, "What would you like it to be?"
Common Lisp is just one possible answer to
that question: "A lot of compromises!"
From: George Neuner
On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 03:08:25 GMT, ······@news.dtpq.com (Christopher C.
Stacy) wrote:

>George Neuner <·········@comcast.net> writes:
>
>> Java looks more like a bastard child of C++ and Modula-3 than any
>> relation to Lisp.
>
>JAVA has directly borrowed some things from Lisp

I know ... but it doesn't *look* like it does.  I'm not referring to
syntax, but rather to the visible functionality and patterns of
writing code with it.  Most of the borrowings from Lisp are well
hidden.

George
--
for email reply remove "/" from address
From: Thomas Stegen
Peter Seibel wrote:

> No, book stuff--and my main email now on, will be at gigamonkeys.com.
> As in, you can hire a billion monkeys, or you can hire me!

I would have thought that the difference between one monkey programming
and one billion monkeys programming would show up only in the banana
section of the budget...

--
Thomas.
From: pantagruel
> You see, Peter has not quite made the conversion to full Lisp
> master. He's holding on. Clearly, he's conflicted about it. He has a
> nice bit of Lisp advocacy in there at the end, but the
> "javamonkey.com" address shows he's not quite willing to fully
> commit.

maybe he's a javamonkey, but a lispMAN!!!