From: Brandon Cirella
Subject: Lisp and AI...
I'm currently developing an RPG game. I've never done AI programming
before and I heard (from multiple people) that Lisp was a good place
to start. Is this true, and if so what dialect of Lisp should I be
using?

From: Ulrich Hobelmann
Subject: Re: Lisp and AI...
Brandon Cirella wrote:
> I'm currently developing an RPG game. I've never done AI programming
> before and I heard (from multiple people) that Lisp was a good place
> to start. Is this true, and if so what dialect of Lisp should I be
> using?

Well, the only "useful" dialects, featurewise, are Scheme and Common Lisp.

Scheme has a nicer learning curve, but does not have as much features
standardized.  Common Lisp has some historic weirdness in it, but seems
to be a more practical language (i.e. features made for programmers, not
  academics).

It's hard to say if Lisp is good for AI, since it's much of a general
purpose language (with great support for symbolic computation, though;
that's why it was used a lot for AI, I guess).

You might do the same as I: look at http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/ and
buy it when it comes out ;)
From: ·······@gmail.com
Brandon Cirella wrote:
> I'm currently developing an RPG game. I've never done AI programming
> before and I heard (from multiple people) that Lisp was a good place
> to start. Is this true, and if so what dialect of Lisp should I be
> using?

 You can take a look at FreeCraft project (don't know it's current name
- that
blizzard shiteaters were too stupid to go into copiright damned stuff).

 They're using SIOD Scheme interpreter for the most of the game logic
entrails (including AI).
From: John Connors
·······@gmail.com wrote:
> Brandon Cirella wrote:
>
>>I'm currently developing an RPG game. I've never done AI programming
>>before and I heard (from multiple people) that Lisp was a good place
>>to start. Is this true, and if so what dialect of Lisp should I be
>>using?
>

>  You can take a look at FreeCraft project (don't know it's current name
> - that
> blizzard shiteaters were too stupid to go into copiright damned stuff).
>
>  They're using SIOD Scheme interpreter for the most of the game logic
> entrails (including AI).

They are? I thought Stratagus <http://stratagus.sourceforge.net> was
using Lua?

--
Cyborg Animation Programmer
http://yagc.blogspot.com
From: ·······@gmail.com
> >  They're using SIOD Scheme interpreter for the most of the game
logic
> > entrails (including AI).
> >
> They are? I thought Stratagus <http://stratagus.sourceforge.net> was
> using Lua?

 At least old versions of FreeCraft used SIOD (and I had a lot of fun
coding AI with it) - now, as I can see, almost nothing left from that
old engine... :(