From: Zach
Subject: need good IDE and advice
Running Windows 98 SE and Debian GNU Linux (unstable release) with
2.4.18 kernel.

1) how to install ANSI Common Lisp?

2) What are good IDEs for each platform?

3) how to learn Lisp for free (PDF/free book etc.. for d/l)?

Regards!
Zach

From: Binghe
Subject: Re: need good IDE and advice
Debian:
  gcl, cmucl, sbcl, and clisp is already in Debian, apt-get is OK, like
this: [install full cmucl]
  # apt-get install cmucl cmucl-docs cmucl-source
Debian will also install a common-lisp-controller package for managing
all CL-ralated packages, there are many CL-packages in Debian, their
name is /^cl-.*/, use dselect to check & install them is OK.
There is a not-full list of CL-packages in debian:
cl-acl-compat - Compatibility layer for Allegro Common Lisp
cl-aima - Source code for Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach
cl-ansi-tests - Conformance tests for ANSI Common Lisp
cl-asdf - Another System Definition Facility
cl-aserve - Portable Aserve
cl-awk - Common Lisp package with the features of AWK and more.
cl-base64 - Common Lisp package to encode and decode base64 with URI
support
cl-binary-types - Common Lisp package for reading and writing binary
files
cl-blowfish - Common Lisp Blowfish encryption
cl-cclan - Comprehensive Common Lisp Archive Network
cl-cil - Chess In Lisp. A library for cmucl.
cl-clue - Lisp package for clue/clio/pictures: X interfaces for lisp
cl-clx-sbcl - An X11 Common Lisp client library for SBCL
cl-csv - Common Lisp utility to import CSV text files
cl-defsystem3 - Make system for Common Lisp Packages
cl-environment - Object-Oriented Environment Encapsulation for Common
Lisp Programs
cl-f2cl - Common Lisp package to convert Fortran 77 source code to
Common Lisp
cl-ftp - Common Lisp FTP library
cl-gd - GD Interface Library for Common Lisp
cl-getopt - Common Lisp utility for command-line processing
cl-grt - Common Lisp GRT Raytrace
cl-html-template - Common Lisp HTML Template processor
cl-htmlgen - HTML generation library for Common Lisp programs
cl-hyperobject - Common Lisp library for hyperobjects
cl-inflate - Common Lisp package to decompress a gzip, jar, and winzip
file
cl-integrate - Common Lisp library for integrating differential
equations
cl-interpol - String Interpolation Library for Common Lisp
cl-irc - Common Lisp Internet Relay Chat Library
cl-irc-logger - Internet Relay Channel Logger
cl-iterate - Iterate macro for Common Lisp
cl-jpeg - A JPEG library for Common Lisp
cl-kmrcl - General Utilities for Common Lisp Programs
cl-lexer - Lexical-analyzer-generator package for Common Lisp
cl-lml - Lisp Markup Language
cl-lml2 - Lisp Markup Language
cl-mcclim - Common Lisp graphic user interface toolkit
cl-mcclim-doc - Graphic user interface package for Common Lisp programs
cl-mcclim-examples - Common Lisp graphic user interface toolkit
cl-md5 - Common Lisp package for MD5 Message Digests
cl-memoization - A extension library that adds memoization support to
CMU-CL
cl-menusystem - Common Lisp Menu System
cl-meta - A Parser library for Common Lisp
cl-metering - A portable metering and profiling utility for Common Lisp
cl-modlisp - Common Lisp interface to the Apache mod-lisp module
cl-net-telent-date - Common Lisp utilities for printing and parsing
dates
cl-odcl - Common Lisp utilities from onShore Development
cl-paip - Source code for Paradigms of Artificial Intelligence
Programming
cl-parse-number - Provides functions to parse any Common Lisp number
string
cl-pdf - Common Lisp package to create PDF files
cl-pg - Common Lisp library that provides a socket level postgresql
interface
cl-pipes - Common Lisp library for pipes or streams
cl-plus - Common Lisp extensions for building some Debian CL packages
cl-png - Common Lisp package to read and write PNG image files
cl-port - Common Lisp Object Collections Port Package
cl-postoffice - SMTP, POP, & IMAP interface library for Common Lisp
Programs
cl-ppcre - Portable Regular Express Library for Common Lisp
cl-ptester - Test suite for Common Lisp programs
cl-pubmed - Common Lisp package to query Pubmed medical literature
database
cl-puri - Common Lisp Portable URI Library
cl-quick-arrays - A library offering less flexible, but faster arrays
cl-readline - Common Lisp interface to the GNU readline library
cl-regex - Common Lisp regular expression compiler/matcher
cl-reversi - Reversi game for Common Lisp
cl-rlc - Common Lisp RLC Circuit Simulator
cl-rsm-bitcomp - Common Lisp Bit Compression Library
cl-rsm-bool-comp - Common Lisp Boolean Function Comparison Library
cl-rsm-cache - Common Lisp Cache Library
cl-rsm-delayed - Common Lisp Delayed List Library
cl-rsm-filter - Common Lisp Filter Library
cl-rsm-finance - McIntire's Common Lisp Finance Library
cl-rsm-fuzzy - McIntire's Common Lisp Fuzzy Logic Library
cl-rsm-gen-prog - McIntire's Common Lisp Genetic Programming  Library
cl-rsm-genetic-alg - Common Lisp Genetic Algorithm Library
cl-rsm-memo - McIntire's Common Lisp Memoization Library
cl-rsm-mod - McIntire's Common Lisp Modular Arithmetic Library
cl-rsm-modal - McIntire's Common Lisp Modal Logic Library
cl-rsm-mpoly - McIntire's Common Lisp Multivariate Polynomial Library
cl-rsm-queue - Common Lisp Queue Library
cl-rsm-rand - McIntire's Common Lisp Discrete Random Number Library
cl-rsm-random - McIntire's Common Lisp Random Number Library
cl-rsm-rsa - McIntire's Common Lisp RSA Library
cl-rsm-string - McIntire's Common Lisp String Library
cl-rss - Common Lisp RSS processor
cl-rt - Common Lisp regression tester from MIT
cl-screamer - Common Lisp package for non-determinate programming
cl-scribble - Scribe-like reader for Common Lisp
cl-sdl - Common Lisp bindings to the SDL graphics library
cl-sdl-demos - CL-SDL and OpenGL example programs
cl-sdl-img - Support for the SDL_image library in Common Lisp
cl-sdl-mix - Support for the SDL_mixer library in Common Lisp
cl-sdl-opengl - Support for OpenGL in Common Lisp, via CL-SDL
cl-sdl-ttf - Support for the SDL_ttf library in Common Lisp
cl-series - A Common Lisp extension for general iterations
cl-speech-dispatcher - Common Lisp interface to Speech Dispatcher
cl-split-sequence - Common Lisp package split a sequence of objects
cl-sql - SQL Interface for Common Lisp
cl-sql-aodbc - CLSQL database backend, AODBC
cl-sql-mysql - CLSQL database backend, MySQL
cl-sql-odbc - CLSQL database backend, ODBC
cl-sql-postgresql - CLSQL database backend, PostgreSQL
cl-sql-postgresql-socket - CLSQL database backend, PostgreSQL
cl-sql-sqlite - CLSQL database backend, SQLite
cl-sql-tests - Testing suite for CLSQL
cl-sql-uffi - Common UFFI functions for CLSQL database backends
cl-ssl - Common Lisp interface to OpenSSL package
cl-statistics - Common Lisp Statistics Package
cl-syslog - Common Lisp syslog interface
cl-tclink - Common Lisp bindings to the TrustCommerce transaction
system
cl-ubf - Common Lisp Universal Binary Format Library
cl-uffi - Universal Foreign Function Library for Common Lisp
cl-uffi-tests - Regression tests for UFFI Common Lisp Library
cl-unit - A regression suite library for Common Lisp
cl-units - a Common Lisp package providing units conversions
cl-webactions - HTTP dispatch library for cl-aserve
cl-who - Common Lisp HTML generator
cl-xlunit - Common Lisp eXtreme Lisp Unit Testing Package
cl-xmls - XML Simple Parser for Common Lisp
cl-xptest - Extreme programming test suite for Common Lisp package
cl-faq - This package contains Common Lisp-related FAQs
cl-infix - an infix reader macro for Common Lisp
cl-geodesics - Geodesic equations in Common Lisp
cl-reversi-clim - Reversi game for Common Lisp (CLIM Executable)
cl-sql-oracle - CLSQL database backend, Oracle
cl-umlisp - Common Lisp interface for the Unified Medical Language
System
cl-umlisp-orf - Common Lisp Unified Medical Language System Interface,
ORF
From: Zach
From: Philip Haddad
You use google and a regex to do that?

--
Certum quod factum.
Philip Haddad
From: Rahul Jain
"Binghe" <··············@gmail.com> writes:

> there are many CL-packages in Debian, their name is /^cl-.*/

Unless they are considered independent applications, such as langband or
maxima or acl2.

Searching for dependencies on c-l-c will turn up most CL packages,
except for those that are pre-compiled into standalone executables, such
as maxima or acl2, which, I think, are compiled using GCL.

--
Rahul Jain
·····@nyct.net
From: Peter Seibel

Get Lisp in a Box:  <http://common-lisp.net/project/lispbox/>

> 2) What are good IDEs for each platform?

See #1.

> 3) how to learn Lisp for free (PDF/free book etc.. for d/l)?

<http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/> if I do say so myself. If you like
it, feel free to buy the dead-tree book when it comes out. Or do your
bit by spreading the word to your other Lisp-curious friends.

-Peter

From: Zach
thanks peter! cool you wrote the book!
btw when will the other chapters be ready?

zach
From: Peter Seibel
"Zach" <······@gmail.com> writes:

> thanks peter! cool you wrote the book!
> btw when will the other chapters be ready?

Well, there's some version of all the chapters already. Though keep in
mind that what's up there now doesn't reflect all the copy editing
done since I turned in my 3rd draft.

-Peter