From: Dan Simper
Subject: Lisp has a mind of its own !!!
It's a dangerous and megalomaniac programming language that wants to
conquer the world !

Alert !

From: Kenny Tilton
Subject: Re: Lisp has a mind of its own !!!
Dan Simper wrote:

> It's a dangerous and megalomaniac programming language that wants to
> conquer the world !
>
> Alert !

I was going to ask when it achieved self-awareness, but of course it was
born with that. So was Java, but the outcome suggests why one must be
careful with cross-breeding.

kt

--
Cells? Cello? Cells-Gtk?: http://www.common-lisp.net/project/cells/

"Doctor, I wrestled with reality for forty years, and I am happy to
state that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
From: John Thingstad
On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 12:21:52 GMT, Kenny Tilton <·······@nyc.rr.com> wrote:

> Dan Simper wrote:
>
>> It's a dangerous and megalomaniac programming language that wants to
>> conquer the world !
>>  Alert !
>
> I was going to ask when it achieved self-awareness, but of course it was
> born with that. So was Java, but the outcome suggests why one must be
> careful with cross-breeding.
>
> kt

Yes it created a eXtremely Mindfull language (XML) determined to
eat all the bandwith of the net.
It recuited the Waste Warrants Wealth (WWW to hardware contractors)
to do it's bidding. ;)

From: Thomas Gagne
Kenny Tilton wrote:

<snip>

> I was going to ask when it achieved self-awareness, but of course it was
> born with that. So was Java, but the outcome suggests why one must be
> careful with cross-breeding.

Didn't you mean in-breeding?
From: Espen Vestre
···········@hotmail.com (Dan Simper) writes:

> It's a dangerous and megalomaniac programming language that wants to
> conquer the world !

Don't worry, he's probably already on his way to the nearest LAAF
(Lisp Attitude Adjustement Facility) where our nurses will take good
care of him.
--
  (espen)
From: Kenny Tilton
Espen Vestre wrote:
> ···········@hotmail.com (Dan Simper) writes:
>

>>It's a dangerous and megalomaniac programming language that wants to
>>conquer the world !
>

> Don't worry, he's probably already on his way to the nearest LAAF
> (Lisp Attitude Adjustement Facility) where our nurses will take good
> care of him.

Oh, I see, we were supposed to get upset:

    http://www.vocaboly.com/forums/ftopic3473.html
From: Andreas Thiele
"Kenny Tilton" <·······@nyc.rr.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
·····························@twister.nyc.rr.com...

> Espen Vestre wrote:
> > ···········@hotmail.com (Dan Simper) writes:
> >

> >>It's a dangerous and megalomaniac programming language that wants to
> >>conquer the world !
> >

> > Don't worry, he's probably already on his way to the nearest LAAF
> > (Lisp Attitude Adjustement Facility) where our nurses will take good
> > care of him.
>
> Oh, I see, we were supposed to get upset:
>
>     http://www.vocaboly.com/forums/ftopic3473.html

OT:
What is the sense of such trolling? Obviously this troll is some kind of
robot. Nobody can post every 2 minutes. So what is the reason? Generating
traffic? Strange Fun? Or any profession (colleting mail addresses for
example)?

Andreas
From: Andreas Thiele
"Dan Simper" <···········@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
·································@posting.google.com...
> It's a dangerous ...

Yes, you can easily expose yourself as rookie with no clue what Lisp is all
about.

Real world example: found 1000 lines of Lisp code in our app which reads and
writes configuration data from and to an INI-File!?!?
I'd bet there has never been any customers requirement to use INI-File
format. Reading an arbitrary complex s-exp would take you two lines of code.

> ... and megalomaniac programming language ...

I'd rather say, it's a  strange (but very friendly) animal. We already have
a 'visualization:
http://www.lisperati.com/different.jpg (which obviously belongs to
http://www.lisperati.com)

> ... that wants to
> conquer the world !

Well, I successfully studied computer science here in germany. They taught
us Pascal, C and stuff like that but no Prof ever mentioned Lisp. I took me
ten years of business app development to stumble across Lisp. Even nowadays
students are not exposed to Lisp. Here in Hamburg they get a little bit
confronted to Scheme at University. At least some of the student (I spoke
with) consider this a senseless torture or a funny academic language.
Hamburg University of Applied Sciences doesn't teach Lisp at all.

To me it is more like the stange animals wants to be discovored :)

> Alert !

Well, at the moment I do the programming the others can't (at least not
without utmost efforts) :)

Yes, I hope competitors should be alerted :-))

Andreas
From: Fred Gilham
···········@hotmail.com (Dan Simper) writes:

> It's a dangerous and megalomaniac programming language that wants to
> conquer the world !
>
> Alert !

OK, so SRI has been in the AI research business for many years.  It
has used Lisp almost as long as it has been in existence.  Plus it
probably has one of the highest concentrations of Lisp programmers in
the world.  As someone connected closely to this environment, I can
assure you confidently that there is NO TRUTH to the rumor that a Lisp
implementation has achieved AI status.  There was no interface
accident between an old Connection Machine in the AI Center Machine
room and an Alpha with Open Genera running some of the AI center's
latest software.  Some people have been saying that this was what
caused a spate of new papers solving some of the thorniest computer
science problems to appear on the Computer Science Lab's web servers.
These papers have turned out to be a figment of someone's demented
imagination.  And they were actually written by humans anyway.  There
is also no truth to the rumor that SRI is filing to change its status
from non-profit to for-profit and contemplating a stock issue.

On another note, I am currently in the market for nice beach-front
property in Hawaii.  I'm also interested in acquiring a Classic Rolls
Royce or Dusenberg and one or more WELL MAINTAINED racing or stunt
biplanes from the 1930s.  No fixer-uppers or junk please.

--
Fred Gilham                                        ······@csl.sri.com
America does not know the difference between sex and money. It treats