From: John Thingstad
Subject: cl-ppcre tutorial/examples
Does anyone know of a cl-ppcre tutorial?
Do you have any example code?
I've just started to play with it and thought I might save myself some time
and frustration.

From: Edi Weitz
Subject: Re: cl-ppcre tutorial/examples
On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 19:55:11 +0100, "John Thingstad" <··············@chello.no> wrote:

> Does anyone know of a cl-ppcre tutorial?  Do you have any example
> code?  I've just started to play with it and thought I might save
> myself some time and frustration.

The syntax of Perl regular expression is described in one of the Perl
manpages, specifically

  perldoc perlre

I think that's quite good to begin with.  Of course, there are tons of
online sources explaining regular expressions.  And there's Jeffrey
Friedl's book - see the O'Reilly website.

To play around with regular expressions:

  <http://weitz.de/regex-coach/>

Plus, I think the docs for CL-PPCRE are quiet reasonable once you know
what a regular expression is.  The include example code for each
function.  What are you missing?

Cheers,
Edi.

--

Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.

From: Edi Weitz
On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 21:56:05 +0100, Edi Weitz <········@agharta.de> wrote:

> Plus, I think the docs for CL-PPCRE are quiet reasonable
                                          ^----

quite, actually... :)

--

Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.

From: John Thingstad
On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 21:56:05 +0100, Edi Weitz <········@agharta.de> wrote:

> On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 19:55:11 +0100, "John Thingstad"
> <··············@chello.no> wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know of a cl-ppcre tutorial?  Do you have any example
>> code?  I've just started to play with it and thought I might save
>> myself some time and frustration.
>
> The syntax of Perl regular expression is described in one of the Perl
> manpages, specifically
>
>   perldoc perlre
>
> I think that's quite good to begin with.  Of course, there are tons of
> online sources explaining regular expressions.  And there's Jeffrey
> Friedl's book - see the O'Reilly website.
>
> To play around with regular expressions:
>
>   <http://weitz.de/regex-coach/>
>
> Plus, I think the docs for CL-PPCRE are quiet reasonable once you know
> what a regular expression is.  The include example code for each
> function.  What are you missing?
>
> Cheers,
> Edi.

Yes, I am familiar with regexp syntax.
I probally don't have all the hacks down though.
Already got Regexp Coach. Great utillity by the way!
What I was looking for were how the functions were used in
together. The current documenation is a great reference but not
a great user guide which should be more task oriented.
Still I guess I have more or less figured out how to use
it by now.

From: Edi Weitz
On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 22:45:29 +0100, "John Thingstad" <··············@chello.no> wrote:

> What I was looking for were how the functions were used in
> together. The current documenation is a great reference but not a
> great user guide which should be more task oriented.  Still I guess
> I have more or less figured out how to use it by now.

Some (simple) usage examples might be found in open source code like
TBNL, LoGS, or Portable AllegroServe.  You can also ask specific
questions on the cl-ppcre-devel mailing list if you're stuck.

Cheers,
Edi.

--

Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.