From: David Trudgett
Subject: Common Music problem
Does anyone here know anything about Common Music? I've installed it to
have a bit of a play around, but I'm not getting past the sample code.

Basically, the error I'm getting is:

Error in function FILENAME->IO-CLASS:  No file or port class for
"test.midi".

In case that's not specific enough, I include below the sequence of
console operations that brought about the error.

Starting up, I get the following normal console messages:

<cut...>

"/usr/local/lib/lisp/cm-2.4.2/bin/cmucl_18e-pre2_linux-i686/clm.x86f"
"/usr/local/lib/lisp/cm-2.4.2/bin/cmucl_18e-pre2_linux-i686/clm2.x86f"
"/usr/local/lib/lisp/cm-2.4.2/bin/cmucl_18e-pre2_linux-i686/midi1.x86f"
"/usr/local/lib/lisp/cm-2.4.2/bin/cmucl_18e-pre2_linux-i686/midi2.x86f"
"/usr/local/lib/lisp/cm-2.4.2/bin/cmucl_18e-pre2_linux-i686/midi3.x86f"
"/usr/local/lib/lisp/cm-2.4.2/bin/cmucl_18e-pre2_linux-i686/midishare.x86f"
"/usr/local/lib/lisp/cm-2.4.2/bin/cmucl_18e-pre2_linux-i686/player.x86f"
"/usr/local/lib/lisp/cm-2.4.2/bin/cmucl_18e-pre2_linux-i686/cmn.x86f"
; Garbage collecting.

  /\\\
---\\\---------
----\\\--------
----/\\\------- Common Music 2.4.2
---/--\\\------
--/----\\\-----
  /      \\\/

CMU Common Lisp 18e-pre2 2003-03-25-003, running on rr.trudgett
With core: /usr/local/lib/cmucl/lib/lisp.core
Dumped on: Wed, 2003-03-26 10:53:00+11:00 on orion
See <http://www.cons.org/cmucl/> for support information.
Loaded subsystems:
     Python 1.1, target Intel x86
     CLOS 18e (based on PCL September 16 92 PCL (f))
*

After that, I cut and paste some sample code. First this:

(define (sinus len cycl low hi rhy dur amp)
   ;; sinus is a function that creates a process. the process
   ;; will play midi notes in a "sine wave" of cycl periods over
   ;; len number of notes. sin's value (-1 to 1) is rescaled
   ;; to lie between the specified low and hi keynums.
   (process for i below len
            output
            (new midi :time (now)
                 :keynum (rescale (sin (* 2 pi (/ i len) cycl))
                                  -1
                                  1
                                  low
                                  hi)
                 :amplitude amp
                 :duration dur)
            wait rhy))

So far so good. Then I do this:

(sinus 80 4 20 100 .1 .1 .6)

RESPONSE:
#<Interpreted Function "LAMBDA (LEN CYCL LOW HI RHY DUR AMP)" {480D3821}>

That is also as expected, I believe. Now this is the bit that should
have produced an output file, but didn't:

(events (sinus 80 4 20 100 .1 .1 .6) "test.midi")

RESPONSE:
Error in function FILENAME->IO-CLASS:  No file or port class for
"test.midi".

Restarts:
   0: [ABORT] Return to Top-Level.

Debug  (type H for help)

(FILENAME->IO-CLASS "test.midi")
Source:
; File: /usr/local/lib/lisp/cm-2.4.2/src/io.lisp
(ERROR "No file or port class for ~s." PATH)
0] 0

Thanks for any assistance.

David

--

We come here upon what, in a large proportion of cases, forms the
source of the grossest errors of mankind. Men on a lower level of

     -- Leo Tolstoy

From: Fred Gilham
Subject: Re: Common Music problem
> Does anyone here know anything about Common Music? I've installed it
> to have a bit of a play around, but I'm not getting past the sample
> code.
>
> Basically, the error I'm getting is:
>
> Error in function FILENAME->IO-CLASS:  No file or port class for
> "test.midi".

I tried the same thing using a current snapshot of CMUCL and it worked
fine, creating the test.midi file.  That file played fine using
"timidity".  Your CMUCL version is a couple years old and you might be
better off getting a later version.

--
Fred Gilham                                         ······@csl.sri.com
If there is one consistent theme to be found in the great works of the
From: David Trudgett
Fred Gilham wrote:

>>Does anyone here know anything about Common Music? I've installed it
>>to have a bit of a play around, but I'm not getting past the sample
>>code.
>>
>>Basically, the error I'm getting is:
>>
>>Error in function FILENAME->IO-CLASS:  No file or port class for
>>"test.midi".
>

> I tried the same thing using a current snapshot of CMUCL and it worked
> fine, creating the test.midi file.  That file played fine using
> "timidity".  Your CMUCL version is a couple years old and you might be
> better off getting a later version.

Thanks, Fred. It didn't even cross my mind that it might be the age of
my CMUCL (actually, I thought it was fairly recent when I installed it
some time last year). Since it worked for you, though, I suspect you may
be right! I'll see about hunting down a later version and give it a go.

David

P.S. I liked the quote in your sig. Personally, I don't have a tenth of
the faith needed to be an atheist! :-)
From: sj
David Trudgett wrote:

> Does anyone here know anything about Common Music? I've installed it to
> have a bit of a play around, but I'm not getting past the sample code.

You might try the Common Lips Music users list. Sorry I dont have its exact
name but if you poke around the CLM site im sure youll find it.

From: Christopher C. Stacy
sj <·····@dummy.com> writes:

> David Trudgett wrote:
>
> > Does anyone here know anything about Common Music? I've installed it to
> > have a bit of a play around, but I'm not getting past the sample code.
> >

> You might try the Common Lips Music users list. Sorry I dont have its exact
> name but if you poke around the CLM site im sure youll find it.

Common Lips?
I dunno, sounds kind of slutty...