From: kanzen
Subject: Lisp added to koders.com
The koders.com website that indexes the source code from open source
projects has finally added Lisp as a language. I guess you can now all
go there and add your favourite projects for indexing.

From: JP Massar
Subject: Re: Lisp added to koders.com
On 2 Feb 2005 00:02:15 -0800, "kanzen" <······@mail.com> wrote:

>The koders.com website that indexes the source code from open source
>projects has finally added Lisp as a language. I guess you can now all
>go there and add your favourite projects for indexing.

Except if you select Lisp and type in a search string it gives you an
error!

An exception has occurred in this application.

From: Karl A. Krueger
JP Massar <······@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> On 2 Feb 2005 00:02:15 -0800, "kanzen" <······@mail.com> wrote:
>>The koders.com website that indexes the source code from open source
>>projects has finally added Lisp as a language. I guess you can now all
>>go there and add your favourite projects for indexing.
>
> Except if you select Lisp and type in a search string it gives you an
> error!
>
> An exception has occurred in this application.

Seems to be fixed now.

http://www.koders.com/?s=cons&_%3Abtn=Search&_%3Ala=Lisp&_%3Ali=GPL

There seem to be 1158 bits of GPLed Lisp code that use CONS.  :)

--
Karl A. Krueger <········@example.edu> { s/example/whoi/ }

If lots of people are doing something, and it isn't working for them,
don't expect that you're special and that it will work for you.
From: Rahul Jain
JP Massar <······@alum.mit.edu> writes:

> An exception has occurred in this application.

Too bad they didn't use Lisp to create the site. This error would have
been impossible, then. :)

--
Rahul Jain
·····@nyct.net
From: Cameron MacKinnon
kanzen wrote:
> The koders.com website that indexes the source code from open source
> projects has finally added Lisp as a language. I guess you can now all
> go there and add your favourite projects for indexing.

Is the code that runs koders.com itself open source? Is the database
available? To me, this looks suspiciously like the "hey everybody, come
help us expand our proprietary database by donating data entry time"
pitch from cddb.com and imdb.com.

In your earlier post ("Petition koders.com [sic] to add Lisp to it's
search category." from December 4th) you mentioned that most Lisp code
is licensed under terms too liberal to be interesting to the koders.com
people. How has this been resolved? The site doesn't say much about what
licenses it indexes.

How are you associated with this site?
From: kanzen
Cameron MacKinnon wrote:
> kanzen wrote:
> > The koders.com website that indexes the source code from open
source
> > projects has finally added Lisp as a language. I guess you can now
all
> > go there and add your favourite projects for indexing.
>
> Is the code that runs koders.com itself open source? Is the database
> available? To me, this looks suspiciously like the "hey everybody,
come
> help us expand our proprietary database by donating data entry time"
> pitch from cddb.com and imdb.com.
>
> In your earlier post ("Petition koders.com [sic] to add Lisp to it's
> search category." from December 4th) you mentioned that most Lisp
code
> is licensed under terms too liberal to be interesting to the
koders.com
> people. How has this been resolved? The site doesn't say much about
what
> licenses it indexes.
>
> How are you associated with this site?

I'm not associated with the site in any way. And that must have been
somebody else who made the posting on December 4th. I did think it was
a useful site (as long as it remains free).

KanZen
From: Jens Axel Søgaard
Cameron MacKinnon wrote:

> Is the code that runs koders.com itself open source? Is the database
> available? To me, this looks suspiciously like the "hey everybody, come
> help us expand our proprietary database by donating data entry time"
> pitch from cddb.com and imdb.com.

Hey! You can fetch the IMDB database here:

     <http://www.imdb.com/interfaces>

--
Jens Axel Søgaard
From: Cameron MacKinnon
Jens Axel S�gaard wrote:
> Hey! You can fetch the IMDB database here:
>
> <http://www.imdb.com/interfaces>

http://us.imdb.com/Licensing/FAQ.html

Q: Do you license the entire IMDb?
A: We will not license the entire database, though hundreds of thousands
of titles is over-kill for most uses.

Q: How much does it cost?
A: Send pricing inquiries here

The original poster showed up in December with an idea that wasn't
received too well, and still hasn't explained how his site is better
than the community's current sites (or Google for that matter). Now he's
back requesting data entry work because the "search engine" he touts
doesn't seem able to find the data itself.

The two most informative pages (heck, the only real pages on the site
with content) are the privacy policy and the terms of service, which
demonstrate quite clearly that the aim of the enterprise is to monetize
eyeballs in a way opposed to the spirit and ethos of the open source
movement. So when they wrap themselves in the cloak of Open Source and
ask for donated data entry, I find it a bit outrageous. The whole
posting is nothing more than commercial spam with a thin camouflage of
community service.
From: Jens Axel Søgaard
Cameron MacKinnon wrote:
> Jens Axel Søgaard wrote:

>> Hey! You can fetch the IMDB database here:
>> <http://www.imdb.com/interfaces>

> http://us.imdb.com/Licensing/FAQ.html
>
> Q: Do you license the entire IMDb?
> A: We will not license the entire database, though hundreds of thousands
> of titles is over-kill for most uses.
>
> Q: How much does it cost?
> A: Send pricing inquiries here

Ok - I'd forgotten that. The last time I looked at the data, I was
looking for real life data to use to teach databases.

However commercial licensing doesn't neccessarily imply
that they charge for personal use

And - yikes! - the license from a submitter to IMDb is not for the faint
of heart. It begins:

    Your License to IMDb: If you do post content or submit material, and
  unless we indicate otherwise, you grant IMDb and its affiliates a
  nonexclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, and fully
  sublicensable right to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish,
  translate, create derivative works from, distribute, and display
  such content throughout the world in any media.

--
Jens Axel Søgaard
From: Vladimir Sedach
Cameron MacKinnon <··········@clearspot.net> writes:

> The original poster showed up in December with an idea that wasn't
> received too well, and still hasn't explained how his site is better
> than the community's current sites (or Google for that matter). Now he's
> back requesting data entry work because the "search engine" he touts
> doesn't seem able to find the data itself.

Amongst things you have confused are me and kanzen. I'm in no way
affiliated with koders.com - I just think it's a neat resource and
Lisp as a search category there not only helps the Lisp community but
more importantly provides exposure for Lisp (from what I can see from
web searches koders.com seems popular among Visual Basic programmers)
and the all important "no, it's not dead, it just smells funny"
factor. I personally don't care that their entire database is not made
publically available - the site does provide a somewhat useful service
for free. Now that they do have Lisp listed in their categories, I
guess my "campaign" is over (I think all it took was one web feedback
form from me - if politics were that easy :)), and I can go back to
slaving over unfortunately non-Lisp related things (which is why I
haven't read cll since December).

Vladimir