From: ·····················@gmail.com
Subject: Lisp Movies: Episode 2: (Re)writing Reddit in Lisp is 20 minutes and 100 lines
My first Lisp Movie wasn't called 'Episode 1' for nothing...

The second Lisp Movie (Screencast) is a tutorial on building web
applications using KPAX, implementing a prototype clone of Reddit, sort
of anyway.

We show how to use the KPAX Common Lisp Web Application Framework to
implement an example that is quite similar to Reddit: a collection of
links is presented, sorted by points and sorted chronologically, a form
allows for new links to be submitted and links can be voted up or down.
We show how to interactively debug web applications. Finally we add a
stylesheet to give our little application a better look (thanks to
Nicky Peeters). Furthermore we show how Common Lisp allows you to write
elegant code, elegantly: flexibly re-using similar code fragments, as
well as developing and testing incrementally.

If you're interested, check out the following page for details:

  http://homepage.mac.com/svc/LispMovies/index.html

Enjoy,

Sven

From: Tayssir John Gabbour
·····················@gmail.com wrote:
> My first Lisp Movie wasn't called 'Episode 1' for nothing...
>
> The second Lisp Movie (Screencast) is a tutorial on building web
> applications using KPAX, implementing a prototype clone of Reddit, sort
> of anyway.
>   http://homepage.mac.com/svc/LispMovies/index.html

Cool, it's always fun to observe people coding. I'd actually be
interested in seeing that more often, better reality show than most
anything I've seen... The lack of sound actually seems to be a good
thing.

How do people combine the advantages of Emacs (like keyboard macros,
textediting utils) with those of the Lispworks IDE (integration, etc)?

Tayssir
From: John Thingstad
On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 00:59:08 +0100, Tayssir John Gabbour
<···········@yahoo.com> wrote:

> ·····················@gmail.com wrote:
>> My first Lisp Movie wasn't called 'Episode 1' for nothing...
>>
>> The second Lisp Movie (Screencast) is a tutorial on building web
>> applications using KPAX, implementing a prototype clone of Reddit, sort
>> of anyway.
>>   http://homepage.mac.com/svc/LispMovies/index.html
>
> Cool, it's always fun to observe people coding. I'd actually be
> interested in seeing that more often, better reality show than most
> anything I've seen... The lack of sound actually seems to be a good
> thing.
>
> How do people combine the advantages of Emacs (like keyboard macros,
> textediting utils) with those of the Lispworks IDE (integration, etc)?
>
> Tayssir

Liswworks has a Emacs like editor.
(Instead of elisp as a underlying language you have common lisp)
With Edi Weitz extensions it becomes better.

From: Tonguc Yumruk
·····················@gmail.com writes:

> My first Lisp Movie wasn't called 'Episode 1' for nothing...
>
> The second Lisp Movie (Screencast) is a tutorial on building web
> applications using KPAX, implementing a prototype clone of Reddit, sort
> of anyway.
>
> We show how to use the KPAX Common Lisp Web Application Framework to
> implement an example that is quite similar to Reddit: a collection of
> links is presented, sorted by points and sorted chronologically, a form
> allows for new links to be submitted and links can be voted up or down.
> We show how to interactively debug web applications. Finally we add a
> stylesheet to give our little application a better look (thanks to
> Nicky Peeters). Furthermore we show how Common Lisp allows you to write
> elegant code, elegantly: flexibly re-using similar code fragments, as
> well as developing and testing incrementally.
>
> If you're interested, check out the following page for details:
>
>   http://homepage.mac.com/svc/LispMovies/index.html
>
> Enjoy,
>
> Sven

Well, I became jealous and wrote another one using UCW. Though it does
not have the safety precautions of the KPAX version I think it's a
good introduction to UCW and component based web programming. Since
I'm a real CL newbie it took approximately 45 minutes to write and I
*borrowed* some code from the KPAX version. Sadly I cannot setup an
online demo since I did all my development on my laptop and none of my
servers have a recent CL implementation to run UCW and SLIME. You can
download the code from: http://tonguc.ath.cx/reddit.lisp

--
Love Respect GNU/Linux
Garbage In -- Gospel Out.
From: Emre Sevinc

    TY> ·····················@gmail.com writes:
    >> My first Lisp Movie wasn't called 'Episode 1' for nothing...
    >>
    >> If you're interested, check out the following page for details:
    >>
    >> http://homepage.mac.com/svc/LispMovies/index.html
    >>
    >> Enjoy,
    >>
    >> Sven
    >>

    TY> Well, I became jealous and wrote another one using UCW. Though
    TY> it does not have the safety precautions of the KPAX version I
    TY> think it's a good introduction to UCW and component based web
    TY> programming. Since I'm a real CL newbie it took approximately
    TY> 45 minutes to write and I *borrowed* some code from the KPAX
    TY> version. Sadly I cannot setup an online demo since I did all
    TY> my development on my laptop and none of my servers have a
    TY> recent CL implementation to run UCW and SLIME. You can
    TY> download the code from: http://tonguc.ath.cx/reddit.lisp

Nice to hear about it even if we can't see an online demo.

I guess somebody gotta fill Ankara point in the Lisp map ;-)

 http://www.frappr.com/lisp

Guess who...

--
Emre Sevinc

eMBA Software Developer         Actively engaged in:
http:www.bilgi.edu.tr           http://ileriseviye.org
http://www.bilgi.edu.tr         http://fazlamesai.net
Cognitive Science Student       http://cazci.com
http://www.cogsci.boun.edu.tr