From: RC
Subject: asdf-install question
Installing TBNL with CMUCL under Freebsd 6.0

% lisp

; /usr/local/asdf-install/site-systems/asdf-install.asd into
; #<The ASDF1463 package>
; registering #<SYSTEM ASDF-INSTALL {485EF3B5}> as ASDF-INSTALL
; Compiling LAMBDA (.PV-CELL. .NEXT-METHOD-CALL. O C):
; Compiling Top-Level Form:
; Compiling LAMBDA (.PV-CELL. .NEXT-METHOD-CALL. O C):
; Compiling Top-Level Form:
CMU Common Lisp 19b (19B), running on cub2.homeunix.net
With core: /usr/local/lib/cmucl/lib/lisp.core
Dumped on: Mon, 2005-06-27 14:45:53-04:00 on snapdragon.csl.sri.com
Send questions and bug reports to your local CMUCL maintainer,
or see <http://www.cons.org/cmucl/support.html>.
Loaded subsystems:
    Python 1.1, target Intel x86
    CLOS based on Gerd's PCL 2004/04/14 03:32:47
*

(asdf-install:install 'tbnl)
Install where?
0) System-wide install:
   System in /usr/local/asdf-install/site-systems/
   Files in /usr/local/asdf-install/site/
1) Personal installation:
   System in /usr/home/oper/.asdf-install-dir/systems/
   Files in /usr/home/oper/.asdf-install-dir/site/
2) Abort installation.
 --> 1
;;; ASDF-INSTALL: Downloading 87158 bytes from http://weitz.de/files/tbnl.tar.gz to TBNL.asdf-install-tmp ...

"[GNUPG:] ERRSIG 595FF045057958C6 17 2 00 1134742531 9"

No key found for key id 0x595FF045057958C6. Try some command like
  gpg  --recv-keys 0x595FF045057958C6
   [Condition of type ASDF-INSTALL::KEY-NOT-FOUND]

Restarts:
  0: [SKIP-GPG-CHECK] Don't ckeck GPG signature for this package
  1: [ABORT         ] Return to Top-Level.

Debug  (type H for help)

"
                                           #P"TBNL.asdf-install-tmp")
Source:
; File: /usr/local/asdf-install/site/asdf-install/installer.lisp
(ERROR 'KEY-NOT-FOUND :KEY-ID (SECOND ERRSIG))
0] 0
"[GNUPG:] NO_PUBKEY 595FF045057958C6" ;;; ASDF-INSTALL: Installing TBNL.asdf-install-tmp in /usr/home/oper/.asdf-install-dir/site/, /usr/home/oper/.asdf-install-dir/systems/
x tbnl-0.8.9/
x tbnl-0.8.9/doc/
x tbnl-0.8.9/doc/index.html
x tbnl-0.8.9/CHANGELOG
x tbnl-0.8.9/README
x tbnl-0.8.9/araneida.lisp
x tbnl-0.8.9/cookie.lisp
x tbnl-0.8.9/html.lisp
x tbnl-0.8.9/log.lisp
x tbnl-0.8.9/modlisp.lisp
x tbnl-0.8.9/packages.lisp
x tbnl-0.8.9/reply.lisp
x tbnl-0.8.9/request.lisp
x tbnl-0.8.9/session.lisp
x tbnl-0.8.9/specials.lisp
x tbnl-0.8.9/tbnl-test.asd
x tbnl-0.8.9/tbnl.asd
x tbnl-0.8.9/util.lisp
x tbnl-0.8.9/contrib/
x tbnl-0.8.9/contrib/create-groups-bind-regex-dispatcher/
x tbnl-0.8.9/contrib/create-groups-bind-regex-dispatcher/README
x tbnl-0.8.9/contrib/create-groups-bind-regex-dispatcher/create-groups-bind-regex-dispatcher.lisp
x tbnl-0.8.9/test/
x tbnl-0.8.9/test/UTF-8-demo.html
x tbnl-0.8.9/test/araneida-test.lisp
x tbnl-0.8.9/test/fz.jpg
x tbnl-0.8.9/test/packages.lisp
x tbnl-0.8.9/test/test.lisp

#P"/usr/home/oper/.asdf-install-dir/site/x tbnl-0.8.9/"
#P"/usr/home/oper/.asdf-install-dir/site/x tbnl-0.8.9/"
NIL
*

------- end of output ------

Isn't it supposed to install TBNL with all dependencies?
The process stops with the installation of TBNL and nothing
else is installed.  No link to tbnl.asd is created.

I have installed ASDF and ASDF-INSTALL from cvs.

Any ideas?

From: Edi Weitz
Subject: Re: asdf-install question
On 17 Dec 2005 13:01:32 -0500, RC <······@comcast.net> wrote:

> Installing TBNL with CMUCL under Freebsd 6.0
>
> [snip]
>
> "[GNUPG:] NO_PUBKEY 595FF045057958C6" ;;; ASDF-INSTALL: Installing TBNL.asdf-install-tmp in /usr/home/oper/.asdf-install-dir/site/, /usr/home/oper/.asdf-install-dir/systems/
> x tbnl-0.8.9/
> x tbnl-0.8.9/doc/
> x tbnl-0.8.9/doc/index.html
> x tbnl-0.8.9/CHANGELOG
> x tbnl-0.8.9/README
> x tbnl-0.8.9/araneida.lisp
> x tbnl-0.8.9/cookie.lisp
> x tbnl-0.8.9/html.lisp

I wonder where the "x " at the front of each row comes from.  I don't
see it on my machine.

> [snip]
>
> #P"/usr/home/oper/.asdf-install-dir/site/x tbnl-0.8.9/"
> #P"/usr/home/oper/.asdf-install-dir/site/x tbnl-0.8.9/"
> NIL

At this point it should continue with something like

  ;;; ASDF-INSTALL: Loading system "tbnl-test" via ASDF.
  ; /usr/home/oper/.asdf-install-dir/systems/tbnl-test.asd into #<The ASDF1671 package>
  ; registering #<SYSTEM TBNL-TEST {5850C13D}> as TBNL-TEST
  ;;; ASDF-INSTALL: Downloading package CL-WHO, required by tbnl-test

and so on...

> Isn't it supposed to install TBNL with all dependencies?

It is.  I just tried it myself (CMUCL 19b, ASDF and ASDF-INSTALL from
CVS, Linux) and it works as expected.

> The process stops with the installation of TBNL and nothing else is
> installed.  No link to tbnl.asd is created.
>
> I have installed ASDF and ASDF-INSTALL from cvs.
>
> Any ideas?

As I said, I think the "x " part is suspicious - I don't see it here.
That's the first thing I would investigate.  Maybe it's because you
don't use GNU tar but FreeBSD tar?

  <http://weitz.de/asdf-install/#pre>
  <http://weitz.de/asdf-install/#*gnu-tar-program*>

Sorry, but I can't be more helpful at the moment.

Cheers,
Edi.

--

Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.

From: RC
Edi Weitz <········@agharta.de> writes:

> > "[GNUPG:] NO_PUBKEY 595FF045057958C6" ;;; ASDF-INSTALL: Installing TBNL.asdf-install-tmp in /usr/home/oper/.asdf-install-dir/site/, /usr/home/oper/.asdf-install-dir/systems/
> > x tbnl-0.8.9/
> > x tbnl-0.8.9/doc/
> > x tbnl-0.8.9/doc/index.html
> > x tbnl-0.8.9/CHANGELOG
> > x tbnl-0.8.9/README
> > x tbnl-0.8.9/araneida.lisp
> > x tbnl-0.8.9/cookie.lisp
> > x tbnl-0.8.9/html.lisp
>
> I wonder where the "x " at the front of each row comes from.  I don't
> see it on my machine.

It seems that bsdtar displays

x filename

when using -xvzf  (apparently the action performed)
where gtar does not.  gtar displays only the file name.

> As I said, I think the "x " part is suspicious - I don't see it here.
> That's the first thing I would investigate.  Maybe it's because you
> don't use GNU tar but FreeBSD tar?
>
>   <http://weitz.de/asdf-install/#pre>
>   <http://weitz.de/asdf-install/#*gnu-tar-program*>
>
> Sorry, but I can't be more helpful at the moment.
>
> Cheers,
> Edi.
>
> --
>
> Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.
>
> Real email: (replace (subseq ·········@agharta.de" 5) "edi")

Absolutely correct.  Using gtar instead of bsdtar solves this problem.

Now, on to see why the installer doesn't like it. :)

Thanks for the help.
From: Philip Haddad
From: RC
"Philip Haddad" <·············@gmail.com> writes:

> yeah, I was just playing with asdf-install as well, and none of the
> system links were created, I had to manually put them in. What's up
> with that? Granted I was just doing a local file install.....
> Philip Haddad

Ok, I made a small change to installer.lisp which seems
to be working for me with gtar or bsdtar.  This may not
be the best way to handle this but seems to work for
these two tar versions.

530c530,532
<                         `(:relative ,(subseq tar 0 pos-slash)))
---
From: Zach Beane
RC <······@comcast.net> writes:

> Ok, I made a small change to installer.lisp which seems
> to be working for me with gtar or bsdtar.  This may not
> be the best way to handle this but seems to work for
> these two tar versions.
>

> 530c530,532
> <                         `(:relative ,(subseq tar 0 pos-slash)))
> ---
> >                         `(:relative ,(if (equal (subseq tar 0 2) "x ")
> >                                (subseq tar 2 pos-slash)
> >                                (subseq tar 0 pos-slash))))

Another way to do this: (subseq tar (mismatch "x " tar) pos-slash).

Long term, I think it would be more reliable to include a
portable Lisp untarring program like the one Nathan Froyd wrote:

   http://www.cs.rice.edu/~froydnj/lisp/tar.lisp

Zach
From: Edi Weitz
On 18 Dec 2005 07:51:42 -0500, Zach Beane <····@xach.com> wrote:

> Long term, I think it would be more reliable to include a
> portable Lisp untarring program like the one Nathan Froyd wrote:
>
>    http://www.cs.rice.edu/~froydnj/lisp/tar.lisp

That one doesn't seem to be complete enough for ASDF-INSTALL's needs
(yet) but I agree that it'd be very helpful if we could make
ASDF-INSTALL a "pure" Lisp solution in order to prevent a lot of
potential newbie gotchas.  After all, ASDF-INSTALL is mainly a newbie
thingy.

Replacing GnuPG with a Lisp solution might be a bit harder, though.

Cheers,
Edi.

--

Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.

From: Zach Beane
Edi Weitz <········@agharta.de> writes:

> On 18 Dec 2005 07:51:42 -0500, Zach Beane <····@xach.com> wrote:
>
> > Long term, I think it would be more reliable to include a
> > portable Lisp untarring program like the one Nathan Froyd wrote:
> >
> >    http://www.cs.rice.edu/~froydnj/lisp/tar.lisp
>
> That one doesn't seem to be complete enough for ASDF-INSTALL's needs
> (yet) but I agree that it'd be very helpful if we could make
> ASDF-INSTALL a "pure" Lisp solution in order to prevent a lot of
> potential newbie gotchas.  After all, ASDF-INSTALL is mainly a newbie
> thingy.
>
> Replacing GnuPG with a Lisp solution might be a bit harder, though.

As I understand it, actually, Nathan has a start on this, too, with
http://www.cliki.net/Irconclad.

It would be nice to have both sides of the coin; a pure-lisp
asdf-install pipeline, and a pure-lisp pipeline for creating
asdf-installable packages.

Zach