From: Emre Sevinc
Subject: How to install TRIVIAL-HTTP?
A fellow Lisper friend of mine is on his way writing a collection of
SNA (Social Network Analysis) tools in CL. First thing he did
is related to e-mail list processing:

http://cs.bilgi.edu.tr/pipermail/cs-lisp/attachments/20051217/919ff924/list-processor.obj

I was excited and rushed to try his code however I realized
that I need trivial-http that he also used. (I already had cl-ppcre).
Since I couldn't find the Debian GNU/Linux package for trivial-http
I tried asdf-install on my SBCL:

CL-USER> (require :cl-ppcre)
NIL
CL-USER> (require :asdf)
NIL
CL-USER> (require :asdf-install)
("SB-EXECUTABLE" "ASDF-INSTALL")
CL-USER> (asdf-install:install 'TRIVIAL-HTTP)
Install where?
1) System-wide install:
   System in #P"/usr/lib/sbcl/site-systems/"
   Files in #P"/usr/lib/sbcl/site/"
2) Personal installation:
   System in #P"/home/fz/.sbcl/systems/"
   Files in #P"/home/fz/.sbcl/site/"
 --> 1

Server responded 404 for GET http://www.unmutual.info/software/trivial-http-1.1.tar.gz
   [Condition of type ASDF-INSTALL::DOWNLOAD-ERROR]

Restarts:
  0: [ABORT] Abort handling SLIME request.
  1: [TERMINATE-THREAD] Terminate this thread (3064527776)

I checked it with Firefox, too:

http://www.unmutual.info/software/trivial-http-1.1.tar.gz

Not Found

Was asked for URL http://www.unmutual.info/software/trivial-http-1.1.tar.gz,
but it didn't happen for us. Sorry

Any suggestions? How can I have that trivial-http lib.
in order to start trying that CL code?

Happy hacking,

--
Emre Sevinc

eMBA Software Developer         Actively engaged in:
http:www.bilgi.edu.tr           http://ileriseviye.org
http://www.bilgi.edu.tr         http://fazlamesai.net
Cognitive Science Student       http://cazci.com
http://www.cogsci.boun.edu.tr

From: Edi Weitz
Subject: Re: How to install TRIVIAL-HTTP?
On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 06:15:46 +0200, Emre Sevinc <·····@bilgi.edu.tr> wrote:

> Server responded 404 for GET http://www.unmutual.info/software/trivial-http-1.1.tar.gz
>    [Condition of type ASDF-INSTALL::DOWNLOAD-ERROR]

Have you read this?

  <http://lemonodor.com/archives/001305.html>

ASDF-INSTALL has got some fixes in the last days.  Get the latest
version and check if you still get these errors.

HTH,
Edi.

--

Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.

From: Edi Weitz
On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 11:58:51 +0100, Edi Weitz <········@agharta.de> wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 06:15:46 +0200, Emre Sevinc <·····@bilgi.edu.tr> wrote:
>
>> Server responded 404 for GET http://www.unmutual.info/software/trivial-http-1.1.tar.gz
>>    [Condition of type ASDF-INSTALL::DOWNLOAD-ERROR]
>
> Have you read this?
>
>   <http://lemonodor.com/archives/001305.html>

Actually, in your particular case this is more relevant:

  <http://brian.mastenbrook.net/display/3>

Cheers,
Edi.

--

Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.

From: Emre Sevinc

    EW> On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 11:58:51 +0100, Edi Weitz
    EW> <········@agharta.de> wrote:
    >> On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 06:15:46 +0200, Emre Sevinc
    >> <·····@bilgi.edu.tr> wrote:
    >>> Server responded 404 for GET
    >>> http://www.unmutual.info/software/trivial-http-1.1.tar.gz
    >>> [Condition of type ASDF-INSTALL::DOWNLOAD-ERROR]
    >>  Have you read this?
    >>
    >> <http://lemonodor.com/archives/001305.html>

    EW> Actually, in your particular case this is more relevant:
    EW>   <http://brian.mastenbrook.net/display/3>

Read that after I posted to c.l.l.

To tell the truth, I'm surprised. No mirrors? No stable
servers?

A library maintainer's server goes down and until he/she
fixes the situation people all over the world cannot install
that library?

Is this really the case?

No highly available, mirrored central repositories for
CL libraries?

Half of the packages cannot be installed?

Now, am I exaggerating or is this really a dramatic
situation and a big negative point for Lisp?

From: Christophe Rhodes
Emre Sevinc <·····@bilgi.edu.tr> writes:

> Now, am I exaggerating or is this really a dramatic
> situation and a big negative point for Lisp?

For some reason the distributed cCLan architecture, which has existed
for the order of four years, has not seen vast takeup by library
authors and maintainers, nor indeed by hordes of volunteers helping to
package up-to-date versionsq.  Nevertheless, it is there, and the node
to whose logs I have access indicate that it has served 34 requests
for libraries over the last two weeks, not all them from search bots.

Christophe
From: John Wiseman
Christophe Rhodes <·····@cam.ac.uk> writes:

> For some reason the distributed cCLan architecture, which has
> existed for the order of four years, has not seen vast takeup by
> library authors and maintainers, nor indeed by hordes of volunteers
> helping to package up-to-date versionsq.

For people who just want to install a library, would some tweaks to
ASDF-INSTALL be sufficient to get them using cCLan?

John
From: Christophe Rhodes
John Wiseman <·······@dhcp106.heavymeta.org> writes:

> Christophe Rhodes <·····@cam.ac.uk> writes:
>>
>> For some reason the distributed cCLan architecture, which has
>> existed for the order of four years, has not seen vast takeup by
>> library authors and maintainers, nor indeed by hordes of volunteers
>> helping to package up-to-date versionsq.
>
> For people who just want to install a library, would some tweaks to
> ASDF-INSTALL be sufficient to get them using cCLan?

No tweaks at all: they already do, if the relevant CLiki page points
there.

For example, http://www.cliki.net/split-sequence has an asdf-install
download link which points to <http://ww.telent.net/cclan/...>.
That's actually a redirector, which responds to a CCLAN-SITE cookie
provided by the client, and sends a moved http response as
appropriate.  asdf-install has a default value for that cookie,
overrideable by the user by defining an environment variable or
setting a lisp variable.

Christophe
From: Edi Weitz
On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 20:51:56 GMT, John Wiseman <·······@dhcp106.heavymeta.org> wrote:

> For people who just want to install a library, would some tweaks to
> ASDF-INSTALL be sufficient to get them using cCLan?

I'm pretty sure ASDF-INSTALL already knows about CCLAN:

  <http://weitz.de/asdf-install/#*cclan-mirror*>

Cheers,
Edi.

--

Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.

From: Emre Sevinc

    EW> On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 06:15:46 +0200, Emre Sevinc
    EW> <·····@bilgi.edu.tr> wrote:
    >> Server responded 404 for GET
    >> http://www.unmutual.info/software/trivial-http-1.1.tar.gz
    >> [Condition of type ASDF-INSTALL::DOWNLOAD-ERROR]

    EW> Have you read this?

    EW>   <http://lemonodor.com/archives/001305.html>

Yes, but just quickly :) Didn't realize trivial-http
was included in the problem list.

    EW> ASDF-INSTALL has got some fixes in the last days.  Get the
    EW> latest version and check if you still get these errors.

It's a "you cannot get the file no matter how hard you try"
error I guess ;-)