From: Jens Teich
Subject: Newbie trying to install araneida webserver
I followed the instruction.html till this point

; SLIME 2005-11-07
CL-USER> (asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op 'araneida)
; #<PACKAGE "ASDF4429">
; registering #<SYSTEM ARANEIDA {10BDA869}> as ARANEIDA
; into #<PACKAGE "ASDF4443">
; registering #<SYSTEM :SPLIT-SEQUENCE {4043E959}> as SPLIT-SEQUENCE
; into #<PACKAGE "ASDF4445">
; registering #<SYSTEM NET-TELENT-DATE {405E7661}> as NET-TELENT-DATE
NIL
CL-USER> (load "Projekte/Lisp/araneida/doc/example.fasl")
CL-USER>

but http://localhost:8000/ results in: The connection was refused ...

Mac OS X 10.3.9
SBCL 0.4.9

Any hints?

Jens

From: Christophe Rhodes
Subject: Re: Newbie trying to install araneida webserver
Jens Teich <····@jensteich.de> writes:

> CL-USER> (load "Projekte/Lisp/araneida/doc/example.fasl")
> CL-USER>
>
> but http://localhost:8000/ results in: The connection was refused ...
>
> Mac OS X 10.3.9
> SBCL 0.4.9
>
> Any hints?

I believe you have to start the server :-) Judging by the comment in
example.lisp, something like
  (araneida:start-listening *listener*)
would do the trick.

Christophe
From: jteich
>   (araneida:start-listening *listener*)

*listener* is unbound. I think I am missing something very simple with
the instruction 'compile and load the example-file'

Jens
From: Edi Weitz
On 16 Dec 2005 04:59:15 -0800, "jteich" <····@jensteich.de> wrote:

> *listener* is unbound. I think I am missing something very simple
> with the instruction 'compile and load the example-file'

I think you're in the wrong package.  For starters, try

  (in-package :my-araneida-example)

and then start the listener.

The first steps can be hard... :)

Cheers,
Edi.

--

Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.

From: Jens Teich
This helps a bit, thanks.

But the result of localhost:8000 is now

Not found
Was asked for URL http://127.0.0.1:8000/ , but it didn't happen for us. Sorry

REPL says:
MY-ARANEIDA-EXAMPLE>
Logged error: 404 Not Found  while processing URL <http://127.0.0.1:8000/>
Logged error: 404 Not Found  while processing URL <http://127.0.0.1:8000/favicon.ico>
; No value

So the Browser talked to my REPL!

But where do I find favicon.ico?

Thanks
Jens
From: Edi Weitz
On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 14:18:54 +0100, Jens Teich <····@JensTeich.de> wrote:

> Not found
> Was asked for URL http://127.0.0.1:8000/ ,
> but it didn't happen for us. Sorry

Look at the code in example.lisp again.  Try

  http://127.0.0.1:8000/hello

or something like that.

> But where do I find favicon.ico?

You have to provide it.  See <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Favicon>.

Cheers,
Edi.

--

Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.

From: Jens Teich
> http://127.0.0.1:8000/hello

same result:

Was asked for URL http://127.0.0.1:8000/hello , but it didn't happen for us. Sorry

Jens
From: Edi Weitz
On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 14:48:25 +0100, Jens Teich <····@JensTeich.de> wrote:

>> http://127.0.0.1:8000/hello
>
> same result:

Try <http://localhost:8000/hello> instead.  If that works ask the
Araneida developers why the "127.0.0.1" variant doesn't work.  If it
doesn't work - hmm...

--

Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.

From: Jens Teich
No hmmm :)

It works with localhost!!!

1000 Dank
Gruesse aus der Sternschanze

Jens
From: Thomas F. Burdick
Edi Weitz <········@agharta.de> writes:

> On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 14:48:25 +0100, Jens Teich <····@JensTeich.de> wrote:
>
> >> http://127.0.0.1:8000/hello
> >
> > same result:
>
> Try <http://localhost:8000/hello> instead.  If that works ask the
> Araneida developers why the "127.0.0.1" variant doesn't work.  If it
> doesn't work - hmm...

Most web servers have the ability to respond differently depending on
how the server is named.  That's all that's happening here, although
it admittedly doesn't create the most intuitive hello-world behavior.

--
           /|_     .-----------------------.
         ,'  .\  / | Free Mumia Abu-Jamal! |
From: Timofei Shatrov
On 19 Dec 2005 02:41:45 -0800, ···@conquest.OCF.Berkeley.EDU (Thomas F.
Burdick) tried to confuse everyone with this message:

>Edi Weitz <········@agharta.de> writes:

>> > same result:
>>
>> Try <http://localhost:8000/hello> instead.  If that works ask the
>> Araneida developers why the "127.0.0.1" variant doesn't work.  If it
>> doesn't work - hmm...
>
>Most web servers have the ability to respond differently depending on
>how the server is named.  That's all that's happening here, although
>it admittedly doesn't create the most intuitive hello-world behavior.

Is there a way to make all synonims work? My computer could be referred
by about 10 different names, and I don't see any option that allows for
more than one name per listener.

--
|a\o/r|,-------------.,---------- Timofei Shatrov aka Grue ------------.
| m"a ||FC AMKAR PERM|| mail: grue at mail.ru  http://grue3.tripod.com |
|  k  ||  PWNZ J00   || Kingdom of Loathing: Grue3 lvl 18 Seal Clubber |
`-----'`-------------'`-------------------------------------------[4*72]
From: Robert Uhl
····@mail.ru (Timofei Shatrov) writes:

> Is there a way to make all synonims work? My computer could be
> referred by about 10 different names, and I don't see any option that
> allows for more than one name per listener.

There's an option dealing with aliases or somesuch--look for that...

Organic chemistry is the chemistry of carbon compounds.
Biochemistry is the study of carbon compounds that crawl.
                                            --Mike Adams
From: Alan Shields
From: Edi Weitz
On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 13:01:31 +0100, Jens Teich <····@jensteich.de> wrote:

> I followed the instruction.html till this point
>
> ; SLIME 2005-11-07
> CL-USER> (asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op 'araneida)
> ; #<PACKAGE "ASDF4429">
> ; registering #<SYSTEM ARANEIDA {10BDA869}> as ARANEIDA
> ; into #<PACKAGE "ASDF4443">
> ; registering #<SYSTEM :SPLIT-SEQUENCE {4043E959}> as SPLIT-SEQUENCE
> ; into #<PACKAGE "ASDF4445">
> ; registering #<SYSTEM NET-TELENT-DATE {405E7661}> as NET-TELENT-DATE
> NIL
> CL-USER> (load "Projekte/Lisp/araneida/doc/example.fasl")
> CL-USER>
>
> but http://localhost:8000/ results in: The connection was refused ...

Hi Jens!

I don't use Araneida but from looking at the end of example.lisp code
I think you forgot this line:

  (start-listening *listener*)

Cheers,
Edi.

--

Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.

From: jteich
Hi Edi,

I tried your tbnl too, but I'm not successful there too:

decoding error on stream
#<SB-SYS:FD-STREAM for "file
/Users/jens/Projekte/Lisp/tbnl-0.8.8/test/fz.jpg" {10F1B0B9}>
(:EXTERNAL-FORMAT :UTF-8):
  the octet sequence (255 216 255 224) cannot be decoded.
   [Condition of type SB-INT:STREAM-DECODING-ERROR]

Restarts:
  0: [ATTEMPT-RESYNC] Attempt to resync the stream at a character
character boundary and continue.
  1: [FORCE-END-OF-FILE] Force an end of file.
  2: [RETRY] Retry performing #<ASDF:LOAD-OP NIL {10005ED1}> on
#<ASDF:CL-SOURCE-FILE "test" {1023A9B9}>.
  3: [ACCEPT] Continue, treating #<ASDF:LOAD-OP NIL {10005ED1}> on
#<ASDF:CL-SOURCE-FILE "test" {1023A9B9}> as having been successful.
  4: [ABORT-REQUEST] Abort handling SLIME request.
  5: [ABORT] Exit debugger, returning to top level.

Backtrace:
  0: (SB-INT:STREAM-DECODING-ERROR #<SB-SYS:FD-STREAM for "file
/Users/jens/Projekte/Lisp/tbnl-0.8.8/test/fz.jpg" {10F1B0B9}> (255 216
255 224))

Thanks
Jens
From: Edi Weitz
On 16 Dec 2005 05:07:27 -0800, "jteich" <····@jensteich.de> wrote:

> I tried your tbnl too, but I'm not successful there too:
>
> decoding error on stream
> #<SB-SYS:FD-STREAM for "file
> /Users/jens/Projekte/Lisp/tbnl-0.8.8/test/fz.jpg" {10F1B0B9}>
> (:EXTERNAL-FORMAT :UTF-8):
>   the octet sequence (255 216 255 224) cannot be decoded.
>    [Condition of type SB-INT:STREAM-DECODING-ERROR]

This has been discussed on the TBNL mailing list.  Basically, TBNL
doesn't have very good support for SBCL's Unicode facilities because I
don't use SBCL and other users haven't provided a patch yet.

Having said that, the TBNL documentation links to a message which
describes how one user managed to make TBNL work with SBCL.  Have you
tried that?

Cheers,
Edi.

--

Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.

From: Jens Teich
I just looked up the link and it says:

.. add tbnl-bivalent-streams to features ..

what does this mean?

Jens
From: Edi Weitz
On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 14:53:55 +0100, Jens Teich <····@JensTeich.de> wrote:

> .. add tbnl-bivalent-streams to features ..
>
> what does this mean?

  (push :tbnl-bivalent-streams *features*)

and then re-compile TBNL (i.e. delete the .fasl files and compile it
again).

See

  <http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/practical-a-portable-pathname-library.html>

for an explanation of *FEATURES*.

--

Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.

From: Edi Weitz
On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 14:16:27 +0100, Edi Weitz <········@agharta.de> wrote:

> This has been discussed on the TBNL mailing list.  Basically, TBNL
> doesn't have very good support for SBCL's Unicode facilities because
> I don't use SBCL and other users haven't provided a patch yet.

FWIW, I've just uploaded an untested modification of TBNL (0.8.9)
which simply pushes :TBNL-BIVALENT-STREAMS on *FEATURES* if
:SB-UNICODE is present.  I hope this works for all recent SBCL
releases.

--

Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.

From: Jens Teich
Works like a charm!

Thanks again.

Jens
From: Larry Clapp
On 2005-12-16, Jens Teich <····@jensteich.de> wrote:
> I followed the instruction.html till this point
>
> ; SLIME 2005-11-07
> CL-USER> (asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op 'araneida)
> ; #<PACKAGE "ASDF4429">
> ; registering #<SYSTEM ARANEIDA {10BDA869}> as ARANEIDA
> ; into #<PACKAGE "ASDF4443">
> ; registering #<SYSTEM :SPLIT-SEQUENCE {4043E959}> as SPLIT-SEQUENCE
> ; into #<PACKAGE "ASDF4445">
> ; registering #<SYSTEM NET-TELENT-DATE {405E7661}> as NET-TELENT-DATE
> NIL
> CL-USER> (load "Projekte/Lisp/araneida/doc/example.fasl")
> CL-USER>
>
> but http://localhost:8000/ results in: The connection was refused ...

It's hidden.  The installation.html doc says

> Oh, you wanted to be able to actually use it? Load Araneida with
>
> (require 'asdf)
> (asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op 'araneida)
>
> then compile and load doc/example.lisp in the source distribution.
> For more information, study that file carefully

If you go to the bottom of example.lisp, you'll find

> ;;; ready to rock?
> #|
> (start-listening *listener*)
>
> #+clisp (host-serve-events) ; starts listening under clisp
> |#

So: you probably forgot to run START-LISTENER.

Nice doc, eh?  :)

-- Larry