From: ·····················@gmail.com
Subject: Lisp Movies: Episode 1: HTTP Client and Server
Not that anyone on this group needs convincing, but maybe it can used
as marketing material:

I made my first Lisp Movie (Screencast) called Episode 1: HTTP Client
and Server, showing how to use the HTTP protocol as client and server
in Common Lisp, featuring the LispWorks IDE on Mac OS X.

If you're interested, check out the following page for details:

  http://homepage.mac.com/svc/LispMovies/index.html

This movie shows in less than 5 minutes how shockingly easy it is to do
TCP/IP networking and multi threading in Lisp and how powerful an
integrated, interactive development environment can be ;-)

Enjoy,

Sven

--
Sven Van Caekenberghe - http://homepage.mac.com/svc
Beta Nine - software engineering - http://www.beta9.be

"Lisp isn't a language, it's a building material." - Alan Kay

From: =?utf-8?b?QXNiasO4cm4gQmrDuHJuc3Q=?= =?utf-8?b?YWQ=?=
Subject: Re: Lisp Movies: Episode 1: HTTP Client and Server
·····················@gmail.com writes:

> Not that anyone on this group needs convincing, but maybe it can used
> as marketing material:
>
> I made my first Lisp Movie (Screencast) called Episode 1: HTTP Client
> and Server, showing how to use the HTTP protocol as client and server
> in Common Lisp, featuring the LispWorks IDE on Mac OS X.

FYI: I had some problems playing this on my linux box with
vlc. Quicktime on my Mac was fine.

Since you called it episode 1, I guess you're planning to make more?
I found this one to be a bit too fast for me, and I guess slowing it
down shouldn't increase the size that much. (Static image compresses
well?)
--
  -asbjxrn
From: ············@gmail.com
I found it a bit fast, as well. It's not possible to read the subtitles
and the code and the same time! I guess playing it at half-speed would
help (but I didn't try).

Apart from that I found it quite interesting. Thanks, Sven.
From: ·····················@gmail.com
Thanks for the feedback !

Following your suggestion I made the subtitles show for 3 seconds
instead of 2 seconds, and I removed the 1 second gap between them. I
also made the subtitles shorter and simpler so that they are easier to
read.

I am uploading the new version right now.

I hope this helps.

Sven

PS: Yes I plan to make some more movies!
From: ········@gmail.com
>I made my first Lisp Movie (Screencast) called Episode 1: HTTP Client
>and Server, showing how to use the HTTP protocol as client and server
>in Common Lisp, featuring the LispWorks IDE on Mac OS X.

Hey Sven,

Cool video. I also had trouble following dividing my attention between
your on screen movements and the (tiny) subtitles at the bottom of the
screen... Do you have a microphone? Is there any chance you could
narrate it?

Also, have you considered a podcast

  http://www.apple.com/quicktime/tutorials/videopodcasts.html

I've got QTP 7 and FCP HD and would be willing to help set it up if at
all possible

nick
From: ·····················@gmail.com
Well, I didn't add an audio track, not because I couldn't do it
technically, but because (1) I am not a native English speaker (2) I
can't do a (semi) professional presentation without hesitations, errors
or sounding boring (3) I absolutely didn't like my own voice once
recorded (but maybe everybody has that).

But if someone else is willing to give it a try, please do send me an
audio track in a compact format (maybe mono) that I can add to the
movie. If I like it (see the criteria listed above), I will certainly
add it to the movie and publish it - and mention you as speaker.

Sven

PS:

By the way, the Lisp Movies pages is quite popular, 1250 hits in 2 days
so far, from everywhere.
From: Herb Martin
<·····················@gmail.com> wrote in message
····························@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

> technically, but because (1) I am not a native English speaker (2) I
> can't do a (semi) professional presentation without hesitations, errors
> or sounding boring (3) I absolutely didn't like my own voice once
> recorded (but maybe everybody has that).

99% have that reaction to their own voice.

Even though I speak professionally I am not completely
satisfied with the sound of my voice.

You may have made the correct decision but don't let the
sound of your voice get to you -- most people have that
reaction.

--
Herb Martin

From: Pete Kazmier
·····················@gmail.com writes:

> Not that anyone on this group needs convincing, but maybe it can
> used as marketing material:

I may not need convincing, but I definitely appreciate all of the
movies the Lisp community has published. Learning a language is one
thing, but learning how to effectively work in the environment is
another thing altogether. And for me, I learn the most by observing
those with experience. Unfortunately, it's not like there is an
abundance of Lispers in close physical proximity to learn from, which
is why I value these movies very much.

> I made my first Lisp Movie (Screencast) called Episode 1: HTTP
> Client and Server, showing how to use the HTTP protocol as client
> and server in Common Lisp, featuring the LispWorks IDE on Mac OS X.

Thanks! As others have mentioned, the captions are difficult to follow
as they compete for the attention of the eye. It would be great if you
could narrate with audio.

Thanks again and I look forward to more movies!

Pete
From: Kirk Job Sluder
In article <··············@coco.kazmier.com>,
 Pete Kazmier <·····················@kazmier.com> wrote:

> ·····················@gmail.com writes:
> > I made my first Lisp Movie (Screencast) called Episode 1: HTTP
> > Client and Server, showing how to use the HTTP protocol as client
> > and server in Common Lisp, featuring the LispWorks IDE on Mac OS X.
>
> Thanks! As others have mentioned, the captions are difficult to follow
> as they compete for the attention of the eye. It would be great if you
> could narrate with audio.

Another request for future videos would be an 800x600 size.  At 1024ish
I don't have access to controls.

--
Kirk Job-Sluder
From: Rainer Joswig
Am 17.12.2005 19:05 Uhr schrieb "Kirk Job Sluder" unter
<···········@jobsluder.net> in
·································@newsclstr02.news.prodigy.com:

> In article <··············@coco.kazmier.com>,
>  Pete Kazmier <·····················@kazmier.com> wrote:
>
>> ·····················@gmail.com writes:
>>> I made my first Lisp Movie (Screencast) called Episode 1: HTTP
>>> Client and Server, showing how to use the HTTP protocol as client
>>> and server in Common Lisp, featuring the LispWorks IDE on Mac OS X.
>>
>> Thanks! As others have mentioned, the captions are difficult to follow
>> as they compete for the attention of the eye. It would be great if you
>> could narrate with audio.
>
> Another request for future videos would be an 800x600 size.  At 1024ish
> I don't have access to controls.

Sometimes it is possible to scale down the video in the viewer/player
and still be able to see enough detail.