From: Marc Battyani
Subject: The Common Lisp Directory: Day 1
OK, I just been able to work on the Common Lisp Directory.
It is integrated with LinkIt as I will use Linkit for the popular rating of
the new stuff about Common Lisp.
As usual you will find it there:
http://linkit.fractalconcept.com

So far I have the category tree (mostly empty)
Each category can be commented by registered users.

So I'm open to suggestions for the first levels of the category tree. I will
give some administration right to users but I would prefer that we have some
well thought category organization for the first levels.

Next is what, how and in what form should we put under the linked items
title.

BTW I've just reloaded the new code in the running image without really
testing it. So I probably have introduced some bugs in LinkIt. (In fact, so
far, I have been working on the running Lisp image since the beginning of
the LinkIt project. ;-)

Marc

From: Marc Battyani
Subject: Re: The Common Lisp Directory: Day 1
I wrote:
> OK, I just been able to work on the Common Lisp Directory.
> It is integrated with LinkIt as I will use Linkit for the popular rating
of
> the new stuff about Common Lisp.
> As usual you will find it there:
> http://linkit.fractalconcept.com
>
> So far I have the category tree (mostly empty)
> Each category can be commented by registered users.
>
> So I'm open to suggestions for the first levels of the category tree. I
will
> give some administration right to users but I would prefer that we have
some
> well thought category organization for the first levels.
>
> Next is what, how and in what form should we put under the linked items
> title?
>
> BTW I've just reloaded the new code in the running image without really
> testing it. So I probably have introduced some bugs in LinkIt. (In fact,
so
> far, I have been working on the running Lisp image since the beginning of
> the LinkIt project. ;-)

Ahem... Anybody there ?

Marc
From: Arthur Lemmens
Marc Battyani wrote:

>> http://linkit.fractalconcept.com

> Ahem... Anybody there ?

Hey, you know Lispers: we have the attention span of your average
MTV watcher ;-)

(But yes, I did add two comments to the Common Lisp Directory part.)
From: Marc Battyani
"Arthur Lemmens" <········@xs4all.nl> wrote
> Marc Battyani wrote:
>
> >> http://linkit.fractalconcept.com
>
> > Ahem... Anybody there ?
>
> Hey, you know Lispers: we have the attention span of your average
> MTV watcher ;-)
>
> (But yes, I did add two comments to the Common Lisp Directory part.)

Thanks Arthur. But you alone didn't qualify as a crowd ;-)

(I also discussed with the common-lisp.net maintainers so that was 3 in fact
:-)

Marc
From: lin8080
Marc Battyani schrieb:

> As usual you will find it there:
> http://linkit.fractalconcept.com

Hallo

Looks useful.

In:
Other categories...
Now the problem is to define some well thought categories

Yes, set commercial. Some people get alight about that. And, if
possible, with big tamtam :)

In New Links:

Can you add an empty line to seperate the links more clearly (or
something for that, the gfx is a bit to big)

stefan
From: lin8080
> Marc Battyani schrieb:

> > As usual you will find it there:
> > http://linkit.fractalconcept.com

Just a deeper thought.

Assume, every lisp developer has a Linux running. As I know, with Linux
it is not so difficult to declare a public folder. So, create a
web-bot-crawler who looks up that folders on the developers PCs and grab
what they put into this folder. Than you get automatically contents for
your project and the update-parts for developers is history.

Its just an idea, don't know what practice tells to that. As long this
is Lisp only, it should not become so big.

stefan
From: Marc Battyani
From: "lin8080" <·······@freenet.de> wrote:

> > Marc Battyani schrieb:
>
> > > As usual you will find it there:
> > > http://linkit.fractalconcept.com
>
> Just a deeper thought.
>
> Assume, every lisp developer has a Linux running. As I know, with Linux
> it is not so difficult to declare a public folder. So, create a
> web-bot-crawler who looks up that folders on the developers PCs and grab
> what they put into this folder. Than you get automatically contents for
> your project and the update-parts for developers is history.

It's already planned for common-lisp.net but I don't think it can be
practical in a more general way.

Marc
From: ·······@gmail.com
well i've got some suggestions for toplevel directories:

- libraries / code
- history (since lisp has quite a bit of it)
- development environments
- resources on the web
- lisp faq (overlaps with documentation i guess but as a person with a
question i would expect something like this to be on the front page)
- lisp groups/organisations/companies
- review / editorial / magazine like space, (anticipating the user
reviews idea. again overlapping with documentation perhaps but this
whole site is intended as documentation and we're just brainstorming
anyway)

- ties
From: Marc Battyani
<·······@gmail.com> wrote
> well i've got some suggestions for toplevel directories:

Thanks.
This is exactly the kind of things I'm looking for now : category
/sub-category names.

> - libraries / code
> - history (since lisp has quite a bit of it)

Good idea, added as a sub-cat of information

> - development environments

Added.

> - resources on the web

Added and other "categories"

> - lisp faq (overlaps with documentation i guess but as a person with a
> question i would expect something like this to be on the front page)

A FAQ is a very good idea!
For now I put a FAQ category and everybody is invited to use the comments to
build the FAQ there:
http://linkit.fractalconcept.com/asp/S538/sdataQvbk$I7L-NxADQjr-br28vQk8yBX8
yBX8oQ5/sdataQu3F$sSHnB==

> - lisp groups/organisations/companies

Added.

> - review / editorial / magazine like space, (anticipating the user
> reviews idea. again overlapping with documentation perhaps but this
> whole site is intended as documentation and we're just brainstorming
> anyway)

OK but under what name ?

I've updated all this is there:
http://linkit.fractalconcept.com/asp//html/root-dir.html

Marc
From: RC
Should there be an area for when you have some kind of installation
problem with a particular '(os implementation package) ?

Say I'm installing '(freebsd cmucl tbnl) and there is some issue
with the installation not working etc.

Should something like this (with solutions) be documented in the CLD?
From: Marc Battyani
"RC" <·······@comcast.net> wrote
> Should there be an area for when you have some kind of installation
> problem with a particular '(os implementation package) ?
>
> Say I'm installing '(freebsd cmucl tbnl) and there is some issue
> with the installation not working etc.
>
> Should something like this (with solutions) be documented in the CLD?

Yes.

Marc
From: lin8080
RC schrieb:

> Should there be an area for when you have some kind of installation
> problem with a particular '(os implementation package) ?

> Say I'm installing '(freebsd cmucl tbnl) and there is some issue
> with the installation not working etc.

> Should something like this (with solutions) be documented in the CLD?

Maybe paste-lisp.? or lisp.paste is online were users paste there
install helpers or comments.
I saw it on a chatroom on freenode #lisp.

stefan
From: Ties  Stuij
>> - review / editorial / magazine like space, (anticipating the user
>> reviews idea. again overlapping with documentation perhaps but this
>> whole site is intended as documentation and we're just brainstorming
>> anyway)

> OK but under what name ?

'user reviews'  perhaps.
to cite christopher roach from the gardeners mailing list:
'I noticed on the CL-Gardeners notes page
that you mentioned Consumer Reports which would definitely entail
writing and I would love to contribute to such an effort.  On a side
note, I think it might be a good idea to have some sort of Wiki area
where members can come by and contribute to online reviews or perhaps
some type of sign up sheet where a member can choose the topics he/she
wishes to review.'

and i'm also in for this kind of thing.

are there any thoughts about a toplevel domain to put this lisp
directory on?
common-lisp.net perhaps?
to cite their front page: 'This site is one among many gateways to
Common Lisp. Its goal is to provide the Common Lisp community with
development resources and to work as a starting point for new
programmers.' well they've got the development resources. Just stick
this directory in front, seems like a symbiosis made in heaven.

Or what about lisp.org. Seems like a shame to me that that a site with
that name only gives info about the alu. the homepage of the alu itself
is even buried in slashes. Seems like they planned to do something more
with the domain.

- Ties
From: Paolo Amoroso
"Marc Battyani" <·············@fractalconcept.com> writes:

> A FAQ is a very good idea!
> For now I put a FAQ category and everybody is invited to use the comments to
> build the FAQ there:
> http://linkit.fractalconcept.com/asp/S538/sdataQvbk$I7L-NxADQjr-br28vQk8yBX8
> yBX8oQ5/sdataQu3F$sSHnB==

The CL Gardeners have started a subproject for a Lisp FAQ.

Paolo
--
Why Lisp? http://wiki.alu.org/RtL%20Highlight%20Film
Recommended Common Lisp libraries/tools:
From: Marc Battyani
"Paolo Amoroso" <·······@mclink.it> wrote
> "Marc Battyani" <·············@fractalconcept.com> writes:
>
> > A FAQ is a very good idea!
> > For now I put a FAQ category and everybody is invited to use the
comments to
> > build the FAQ there:

http://linkit.fractalconcept.com/asp/S538/sdataQvbk$I7L-NxADQjr-br28vQk8yBX8
> > yBX8oQ5/sdataQu3F$sSHnB==
>
> The CL Gardeners have started a subproject for a Lisp FAQ.

OK I will contact Peter. 0 FAQ was not enough but 2 will be too much ;-)

Marc
From: RobPratte
I noticed that you have implementations divided by OS.  In terms of the
Mac section, I would have two sections: one for 'Classic', which seems
implied from the title, and one for OS X.  Also, for the FreeBSD, I'm
not sure if you want to make this more general and include Net and
OpenBSDs.

Another suggestion (maybe I missed this?) is to provide a submission
area for readers' Lisp-based projects.  Sort of a "what it is, what it
does, etc" area to give others a sense of what areas Lisp has been
proven in recently.

My 2 cents.

Robert Pratte