From: javuchi
Subject: About GCL
Anyone here can talk about GCL?
I mean, real status of the project, ANSI compliance, personal taste
about it, etc etc etc.
Why is so poor refered here?
Is it a good Lisp?

From: Bill Atkins
Subject: Re: About GCL
javuchi wrote:
> Anyone here can talk about GCL?
> I mean, real status of the project, ANSI compliance, personal taste
> about it, etc etc etc.
> Why is so poor refered here?
> Is it a good Lisp?

My understanding is that GCL compiles Lisp to code via a command-line
interface, much like GCC.  So you get Lisp, but you lose the benefits
of interactive development.  Also, at least in the past, GCL had some
trouble with its ANSI-compliance.  My understanding could be wrong,
though.

Bill
From: Pascal Costanza
Bill Atkins wrote:
> javuchi wrote:
>
>>Anyone here can talk about GCL?
>>I mean, real status of the project, ANSI compliance, personal taste
>>about it, etc etc etc.
>>Why is so poor refered here?
>>Is it a good Lisp?
>
> My understanding is that GCL compiles Lisp to code via a command-line
> interface, much like GCC.  So you get Lisp, but you lose the benefits
> of interactive development.  Also, at least in the past, GCL had some
> trouble with its ANSI-compliance.  My understanding could be wrong,
> though.

The last time I checked GCL had a listener, so you have an interactive
environment. ANSI compliance is planned for 2.7, but I have no
information what their plans for a release date are.

Pascal

--
My website: http://p-cos.net
Closer to MOP & ContextL:
From: ···············@yahoo.com
From: Bernd Schmitt
javuchi wrote:
> Anyone here can talk about GCL?
> I mean, real status of the project, ANSI compliance, personal taste
> about it, etc etc etc.
Oh, yes, I would like to hear more about this project, too.

> Why is so poor refered here?
I think, one problem is, that there is no slime-support.

Ciao,
Bernd

--
          T_a_k_e__c_a_r_e__o_f__y_o_u_r__R_I_G_H_T_S.
            P_r_e_v_e_n_t__L_O_G_I_C--P_A_T_E_N_T_S