From: justinhj
Subject: Using lispworks with Slime
I had a bit of trouble with Bill Clementsons's crafty work around so
you can use slime/emacs with lispworks personal edition...

http://bc.tech.coop/blog/040315.html

Well for anyone this may help this was my problem and the fixes I
needed ...

1) You need to change the pathnames in the .vbs file you create to
match where you installed lispworks

2) You need to change references to the version of Lispworks from 4.3.6
to whatever the version you downloaded is. At the time of posting it is
4.4.6.

3) If you are using Cygwin and emacs then launching the vbs script does
not seem to work from within emacs or from a bash Cygwin prompt. It
does work from a dos prompt or from any other normal means, so I made a
shortcut on my desktop to this script. This is a workable fix since to
use slime you now just start emacs up from the icon and then run emacs
and execute the last line of Bill's blog

Start the SLIME connection with "M-x slime-connect RET RET RET" from
Emacs

If anyone knows a way to launch the vbs file from within a cygwin emacs
session that would be cool.

Justin
From: justinhj
Subject: Re: Using lispworks with Slime
justinhj wrote:
> I had a bit of trouble with Bill Clementsons's crafty work around so
> you can use slime/emacs with lispworks personal edition...
>
> http://bc.tech.coop/blog/040315.html
>
> Well for anyone this may help this was my problem and the fixes I
> needed ...
>
> 1) You need to change the pathnames in the .vbs file you create to
> match where you installed lispworks
>
> 2) You need to change references to the version of Lispworks from 4.3.6
> to whatever the version you downloaded is. At the time of posting it is
> 4.4.6.
>
> 3) If you are using Cygwin and emacs then launching the vbs script does
> not seem to work from within emacs or from a bash Cygwin prompt. It
> does work from a dos prompt or from any other normal means, so I made a
> shortcut on my desktop to this script. This is a workable fix since to
> use slime you now just start emacs up from the icon and then run emacs
> and execute the last line of Bill's blog
>
> Start the SLIME connection with "M-x slime-connect RET RET RET" from
> Emacs
>

> If anyone knows a way to launch the vbs file from within a cygwin emacs
> session that would be cool.
>
> Justin

I figured out the last part of the problem so I can now launch
lispworks personal and slime from within emacs

(defun lw-start ()
  (interactive)
  (shell-command "cmd /c c:/docume~1/yourname/lispworksslime.vbs"))

The key part is to run the command with the windows "cmd" program
rather than within cygwin's bash... if you run it like this the vbs
script runs perfectly and starts up lwp.