From: Surendra Singhi
Subject: CL rss parser?
Hello,
  Is there any open-source common lisp rss-parser (preferably compatible with
clisp)? I found this cl-rss(http://packages.debian.org/testing/devel/cl-rss)
but it seems to depend upon cl-averse.

I don't want the parser to be server dependent. Also, cl-rss only seems to be
distributed as a debian package, but I am on a windows machine, has anyone
used it?

Thanks for your replies.

--
Surendra Singhi
http://www.public.asu.edu/~sksinghi/index.html

,----
`----

From: vishnuvyas
Subject: Re: CL rss parser?
Hello,

Surendra Singhi wrote:
> Hello,
>   Is there any open-source common lisp rss-parser (preferably compatible with
> clisp)? I found this cl-rss(http://packages.debian.org/testing/devel/cl-rss)
> but it seems to depend upon cl-averse.

I wrote a simple atom parser and I've posted the code here
http://www.livejournal.com/~vishnuvyas/13133.html

It uses s-xml, which is asdf-installable, I'vent tested it in CLisp,
but it works with SBCL + CMUCL. (I had a more code + Apache + TBNL
display feeds).
(btw, I've extended s-xml a bit for my needs, but I am too afraid to
commit the changes, I am still a newbie lisper, I don't want
substandard code on good projects.. )

I've also something that reads RSS-2.0, but thats all it does. I can
send it you by email if you are interested. Maybe some one is
interested in converting this into a library. (right now I am swamped
with college work! )

Cheers
Vishnu Vyas.
From: Surendra Singhi
"vishnuvyas" <··········@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Surendra Singhi wrote:
>> Hello,
>>   Is there any open-source common lisp rss-parser (preferably compatible with
>> clisp)? I found this cl-rss(http://packages.debian.org/testing/devel/cl-rss)
>> but it seems to depend upon cl-averse.
>
> I wrote a simple atom parser and I've posted the code here
> http://www.livejournal.com/~vishnuvyas/13133.html
>
> It uses s-xml, which is asdf-installable, I'vent tested it in CLisp,
> but it works with SBCL + CMUCL. (I had a more code + Apache + TBNL
> display feeds).
> (btw, I've extended s-xml a bit for my needs, but I am too afraid to
> commit the changes, I am still a newbie lisper, I don't want
> substandard code on good projects.. )

You can submit the changes to the project admin, if he feels like then he can
commit them.

> I've also something that reads RSS-2.0, but thats all it does. I can
> send it you by email if you are interested. Maybe some one is
> interested in converting this into a library. (right now I am swamped
> with college work! )

Sure, send it to me.

Thanks.
--

`----
From: vedm
Surendra Singhi <·········@netscape.net> writes:

> Hello,
>   Is there any open-source common lisp rss-parser (preferably compatible with
> clisp)? I found this cl-rss(http://packages.debian.org/testing/devel/cl-rss)

Some time ago I was looking for the same, but did not find anything
good, so ended up using a Java library (https://rome.dev.java.net)

I thought of writing one in Lisp myself but didn't have the time to do
it.

--
vedm
From: Edi Weitz
On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 17:34:57 -0700, Surendra Singhi <·········@netscape.net> wrote:

>   Is there any open-source common lisp rss-parser (preferably
> compatible with clisp)? I found this
> cl-rss(http://packages.debian.org/testing/devel/cl-rss) but it seems
> to depend upon cl-averse.
>
> I don't want the parser to be server dependent.

What do you mean by "server dependent?"  The fact that it depends on
AllegoServe (I think that is what you mean by "cl-averse") just means
that it uses code from this library.  I don't think you have to deploy
some kind of "server" to use cl-rss.

> Also, cl-rss only seems to be distributed as a debian package, but I
> am on a windows machine, has anyone used it?

You should be able to grab the source code from a Debian server.  Why
don't you try it yourself?  (Portable) AllegroServe at least runs on
Windows.

Cheers,
Edi.

--

Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.

From: Surendra Singhi
Edi Weitz <········@agharta.de> writes:

> On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 17:34:57 -0700, Surendra Singhi <·········@netscape.net> wrote:
>
>>   Is there any open-source common lisp rss-parser (preferably
>> compatible with clisp)? I found this
>> cl-rss(http://packages.debian.org/testing/devel/cl-rss) but it seems
>> to depend upon cl-averse.
>>
>> I don't want the parser to be server dependent.
>
> What do you mean by "server dependent?"  The fact that it depends on
> AllegoServe (I think that is what you mean by "cl-averse") just means
> that it uses code from this library.  I don't think you have to deploy
> some kind of "server" to use cl-rss.

Thanks, I will try it.

Cheers.
--

`----
From: Surendra Singhi
Surendra Singhi <·········@netscape.net> writes:

> Edi Weitz <········@agharta.de> writes:
>
>> On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 17:34:57 -0700, Surendra Singhi <·········@netscape.net> wrote:
>>
>> What do you mean by "server dependent?"  The fact that it depends on
>> AllegoServe (I think that is what you mean by "cl-averse") just means
>> that it uses code from this library.  I don't think you have to deploy
>> some kind of "server" to use cl-rss.
>>
> Thanks, I will try it.

OK, I tried it. But it doesn't fits my need, and so I am extending it and
writing a rss-parser for rss 2.0.

But, I am confused about which XML library to use. Should I use s-xml or xmls?

Does anyone has any experience with these libraries? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

--

`----
From: Edi Weitz
On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 12:51:49 -0700, Surendra Singhi <·········@netscape.net> wrote:

> OK, I tried it. But it doesn't fits my need, and so I am extending
> it and writing a rss-parser for rss 2.0.

Good!

> But, I am confused about which XML library to use. Should I use
> s-xml or xmls?

I'm using CXML: <http://common-lisp.net/project/cxml/>.

Cheers,
Edi.