From: WoodHacker
Subject: CLX help
Is there anyone out there who knows CLX?    (I'm running Portable-CLX
in SBCL)   I'm for the most part zipping along with it, but every now
and then I hit a roadblock that just doesn't make sense.  (For
instance, calling destroy-window on a dialog crashes my whole system
because the message processor sends a focus event to the button I
pressed to distroy the window AFTER the window is destroyed)

I know this is a lot to ask, but I get no reply back from the
Portable-CLX group.

From: WoodHacker
Subject: Re: CLX help
I figured it out - call unmap-window first....

But the request still stands.....
From: Pascal Bourguignon
"WoodHacker" <·······@comcast.net> writes:

> I figured it out - call unmap-window first....
>
> But the request still stands.....

The problem is that most of these problems are not lisp specific:
you'd get the same result in C.  We'd need to learn Xlib.

"Specifications are for the weak and timid!"
From: WoodHacker
I've been working with XLib in C for a while now.     The C version of
XLib has, obviously, the reference books and a LOT of functions.
CLX does the same thing, but like the rest of Lisp it does it with less
code.    And the documentation does not always explain what is
available.
I've actually delved into the CLX source code to try and figure out
what's going on!

There don't seem to be many CLX's out there.     I have it in my head
to write a widget set for Lisp in CLX - at this point purely for my own
intellectual challenge and use.   Why I would want to do this is a long
story.....   Anyway, at some point if this works I'd like to make it
open source and have the Lisp code really worked on to make sure it's
right.    I have a rather different approach to layout management and
want to make sure my ideas work before I embarrass myself before the
hacker world.    So far, so good, but every now and then I come upon
something that doesn't make sense and I'd like to find a place to post
the problem.   I don't think this group is the place.
From: David Trudgett
"WoodHacker" <·······@comcast.net> writes:

> There don't seem to be many CLX's out there.     I have it in my head
> to write a widget set for Lisp in CLX - at this point purely for my own
> intellectual challenge and use.   Why I would want to do this is a long
> story.....   Anyway, at some point if this works I'd like to make it
> open source and have the Lisp code really worked on to make sure it's
> right.    I have a rather different approach to layout management and
> want to make sure my ideas work before I embarrass myself before the
> hacker world.    So far, so good, but every now and then I come upon
> something that doesn't make sense and I'd like to find a place to post
> the problem.   I don't think this group is the place.

If you do find such a place that is not here, perhaps you could post a
note here to that effect. I, for example, am currently thinking about
using CLX as a back-end for learning about computer graphics
algorithms (i.e., basically from first principles). I don't need lots
of complicated widgets for that, just a drawing surface really, so I
thought CLX might be a nice choice for this project.

Cheers,

David

--

David Trudgett
http://www.zeta.org.au/~wpower/

First they ignore you,
then they laugh at you,
then they fight you,
then you win!

    -- Mohandas Gandhi
From: WoodHacker
CLX, basically, is easy to use.   For what you want to do it should be
no problem at all.   The problem is only when you get out on the
fringes and into the obscure things that help is needed.