From: ······@gmail.com
Subject: Are job postings appropriate?
I'm sorry to have to ask, but I normally lurk here intermittently, and
only post under another account, so I'm not sure what's appropriate.

Are job postings for which Lisp is a requirement appropriate here?

Cheers,
Piquan

PS: Personal emails asking about the position will be ignored...
otherwise, this post would be fishing for candidates, which I'm not
sure is appropriate.  If it turns out okay, then I'll send the posting
to the whole group.

From: ·············@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: Are job postings appropriate?
······@gmail.com wrote:
> I'm sorry to have to ask, but I normally lurk here intermittently, and
> only post under another account, so I'm not sure what's appropriate.
>
> Are job postings for which Lisp is a requirement appropriate here?
>
> Cheers,
> Piquan
>
> PS: Personal emails asking about the position will be ignored...
> otherwise, this post would be fishing for candidates, which I'm not
> sure is appropriate.  If it turns out okay, then I'll send the posting
> to the whole group.
For the group:
Nobody complaines so i guess Yess.
For me :
Post it please i want somebody prove me that Duane was right
and i was wrong.
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.lisp/msg/58c0d85a73b2ac1e?hl=en&
That would be the sweetest lose in my life
From: Kent M Pitman
·············@hotmail.com writes:

> ······@gmail.com wrote:
> > I'm sorry to have to ask, but I normally lurk here intermittently, and
> > only post under another account, so I'm not sure what's appropriate.
> >
> > Are job postings for which Lisp is a requirement appropriate here?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Piquan
> >
> > PS: Personal emails asking about the position will be ignored...
> > otherwise, this post would be fishing for candidates, which I'm not
> > sure is appropriate.  If it turns out okay, then I'll send the posting
> > to the whole group.
> For the group:
> Nobody complaines so i guess Yess.
> For me :
> Post it please i want somebody prove me that Duane was right
> and i was wrong.
> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.lisp/msg/58c0d85a73b2ac1e?hl=en&
> That would be the sweetest lose in my life

I tend to agree that few people (and probably none) are going to
complain and that many would appreciate it.  That's not necessarily
policy, but it's surely true.

I just now tried to google acceptable use for usenet, but all I could
find was individual provider requirements, which (spotchecking
several) seemed mostly to encourage commercial things to go to other
newsgroups (forsale.*, biz.*, etc.).  I don't know if that's global
policy or just those providers.

But also, I'm not sure job listings are purely commercial, since I'd
argue they are also a public service for those unemployed.  Hence one
might reasonably argue that restrictions on commercial postings don't
include job postings that are properly targeted to appropriate groups.
(When we're so deluged with lisp jobs that we can't handle them, we'll
let people know, I guess.)

I'd suggest also (or instead, depending on your degree of nervousness)
using the groups named things like ma.jobs (massachusetts), ca.jobs
(probably california, though maybe also canada for all i know),
wa.jobs (washington state), ne.jobs (new england), us.jobs (united
states), etc.  i'd put lisp in the subject line so that people who
only grab headers will be able to search for it.
From: Tayssir John Gabbour
······@gmail.com wrote:
> I'm sorry to have to ask, but I normally lurk here intermittently, and
> only post under another account, so I'm not sure what's appropriate.
>
> Are job postings for which Lisp is a requirement appropriate here?

People joked last year about how it'd be great when a big thing to
complain about is too many job postings here.

Tayssir
From: Paul F. Dietz
······@gmail.com wrote:

> Are job postings for which Lisp is a requirement appropriate here?

IMO, they are appropriate, even encouraged.

	Paul
From: Edi Weitz
On 26 Aug 2005 02:38:06 -0700, ·······@gmail.com" <······@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm sorry to have to ask, but I normally lurk here intermittently,
> and only post under another account, so I'm not sure what's
> appropriate.
>
> Are job postings for which Lisp is a requirement appropriate here?

Well, at least it would be about Lisp.  My personal estimate is that
more than half of the postings in the last weeks weren't.

Cheers,
Edi.

--

Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.