From: ········@gmail.com
Subject: August Vancouver Lisp Users Group (lispvan) meeting notice
For our next meeting of "lispvan", Avi Bryant, the author of the
Seaside continuation-based web application framework (which is written
in Smalltalk), will be giving us a presentation describing his web
application framework. Since Drew Crampsie gave the presentation last
month covering his lisp-on-lines package (which is built on top of
Marco Baringer's UCW, a CL continuation-based web application
framework), this meeting will give us the opportunity to
compare/contrast the approaches taken in each of the frameworks. If
you're interested in alternative approaches to web application
development, it should be an interesting meeting!

Here's the "official" meeting notice:

Topic: Seaside - a Smalltalk continuation-based web application
framework
Presenter: Avi Bryant
Date: Thursday, August 25, 2005
Time: 7pm - 10pm (or whenever)
Venue: Tobys Pub and Grill (http://www.tobys.ca/) (see map at
http://maps.google.com/maps?oi=map&sourceid=mozclient&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&q=2733+Commercial+Drive%2C+vancouver%2C+canada)
application framework (which is written in Smalltalk), will be giving
us a presentation describing his application framework.

This meeting will also be a trial run to test a different format for
Lisp user group meetings. In the past, we've usually either had

   1. a social get-together at a pub

      OR

   2. a "formal" technical presentation at a venue that had a VGA
projector and screen (and subsequently retired to a pub after the
presentation, which often involved driving to a different location)

For this meeting, we'll attempt to do both in the same venue. We'll be
bringing a few laptops and networking them together (sharing Avi's
presentation via VNC) in order to provide a more comfortable
presentation-viewing experience in a pub environment. This should make
it more practical to have both a technical presentation and a
congenial, environment for the meeting without having to shift venues
mid-way through the evening. We'll also try making a movie of the
presentation so that we can share the presentation with others who
can't attend.

Mark your calendars and we'll see you this Thursday!

--
Bill Clementson

From: Kaz Kylheku
From: ········@gmail.com
Hi Kaz,

Sorry the notice wasn't sent out earlier; however, Avi only just got
back from Europe last week and Sunday was the earliest I could get the
notice out. I'll try to get it out a week before the meeting in the
future.

It's too bad you won't be able to come. Graydon Hoare (of Monotone and
Gnu Classpath fame) is going to be coming to the meeting (although he
won't be presenting). With your background with Meta-CVS, Graydon's
background with Monotone, and a few keen darcs users in the audience, I
bet we could have had a few interesting side discussions! ;-)

Hope to see you at a future meeting.

Cheers,
Bill
From: Olivier Drolet
Is there a paper, some code, slides or notes for Drew Crampsie's
presentation of Lisp-on-Lines?

Olivier
From: drewc
Olivier Drolet wrote:
> Is there a paper, some code, slides or notes for Drew Crampsie's
> presentation of Lisp-on-Lines?

Unfortunately not. There has been quite a demand, so if we manage to get
the seaside talk recorded and working, we'll do an LoL movie next.

drewc

--
Drew Crampsie
drewc at tech dot coop