From: Paul Lange
Subject: Emacs Lisp & Common Lisp
A question:

If I try to learn Emacs Lisp while also learning Common Lisp, am I
going to damage my understanding of either in some way?

From: ··············@gmail.com
Subject: Re: Emacs Lisp & Common Lisp
From: Peter Seibel
"Paul Lange" <······@gmail.com> writes:

> A question:
>
> If I try to learn Emacs Lisp while also learning Common Lisp, am I
> going to damage my understanding of either in some way?

Depends whether you can keep them separate in your mind. If you can,
observing the differences should be educational. But if not, you'll
possibly waste some time discovering the differences the hard way,
namely having your programs not work in one language or the other and
finding out after many hours of banging your head against the problem
that it's because one language doesn't work quite the way the other
does.

-Peter

--
Peter Seibel           * ·····@gigamonkeys.com
From: Joe Marshall
"Paul Lange" <······@gmail.com> writes:

> A question:
>
> If I try to learn Emacs Lisp while also learning Common Lisp, am I
> going to damage my understanding of either in some way?

A reply:

Does learning things normally damage you?

I see no reason why you couldn't learn both.  In fact, it may help
your understanding of both because the differences should be easy to
see.  But there are significant differences, so if you are unsure
about something, don't make assumptions.  Ask someone who knows.

~jrm
From: mikel
Joe Marshall wrote:
> "Paul Lange" <······@gmail.com> writes:
>

>>A question:
>>
>>If I try to learn Emacs Lisp while also learning Common Lisp, am I
>>going to damage my understanding of either in some way?
>

> A reply:
>
> Does learning things normally damage you?

Well, there is anecdotal evidence about BASIC and COBOL...
From: Ulrich Hobelmann
Joe Marshall wrote:
> "Paul Lange" <······@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> A question:
>>
>> If I try to learn Emacs Lisp while also learning Common Lisp, am I
>> going to damage my understanding of either in some way?
>
> A reply:
>
> Does learning things normally damage you?

It might hurt learning speed for the other language.  I'm experiencing
that with foreign languages.  Seems like you (or rather I) can only
seriously learn one language at a time.  Seems like Spanish has to wait
now...

--
I believe in Karma.  That means I can do bad things to people
all day long and I assume they deserve it.
From: Pascal Bourguignon
Ulrich Hobelmann <···········@web.de> writes:
>> Does learning things normally damage you?
>
> It might hurt learning speed for the other language.  I'm experiencing
> that with foreign languages.  Seems like you (or rather I) can only
> seriously learn one language at a time.  Seems like Spanish has to
> wait now...

As a French native, when I was learning Spanish, it clearly used up
some neurons in my English speach memories.  It was really hard to
speak English without uttering Spanish words.  But then things
stabilized and it doesn't occurs any more.  Strangely, for writting
(typing), it didn't occur (I must have allocated more neurons to
reading/writting).

In deep sleep hear sound,
Cat vomit hairball somewhere.
Will find in morning.
From: Edi Weitz
On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 19:36:50 +0200, Pascal Bourguignon <····@mouse-potato.com> wrote:

> As a French native, when I was learning Spanish, it clearly used up
> some neurons in my English speach memories.  It was really hard to
> speak English without uttering Spanish words.  But then things
> stabilized and it doesn't occurs any more.  Strangely, for writting
> (typing), it didn't occur (I must have allocated more neurons to
> reading/writting).

"Writting" is not English, though... :)

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

  <http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/writting.html>

Cheers,
Edi.

--

Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.

From: Jimka
From: David Golden
Edi Weitz wrote:

> "Writting" is not English, though... :)

Maybe it should be a verb for hitting people with writs, though, by
english verbification rules.

"That bastard is writting me, just because I planted my rare anchovy
stink tree near his rose garden!"
From: Joe Marshall
David Golden <············@oceanfree.net> writes:

> Edi Weitz wrote:
>>
>> "Writting" is not English, though... :)
>>

> Maybe it should be a verb for hitting people with writs, though, by
> english verbification rules.
>
> "That bastard is writting me, just because I planted my rare anchovy
> stink tree near his rose garden!"

Habeus corpus him back.