From: Pupeno
Subject: What Lisp to use
I am trying to write some software in Lisp but I did nothing else than try
different versions of Lisp and sbcl all day.
CMUCL 19a + Slime HEAD: I couldn't get it to make sense out of (require
'uffi), it doesn't use asdf to load it like sbcl, but even if I previously
loaded it by hand, it still fails.
SBCL 0.9.2 + Slime HEAD: I get random disconections by peers.
SBCL 0.9.3 + Slime HEAD: I get a memory error from SBCL when I load
libldap.so with uffi.
SBLC 0.9.2 + Slime: This one can load libldap.so, but I get random
disconnects as well.
I know this is too unaccurate for any reply, but my question is: Is there
any Lips+Slime (or another similar thing) that is stable and known to
work ? possible on Gentoo.
Thank you.
--
Pupeno <······@pupeno.com> (http://pupeno.com)
Reading ? Science Fiction ? http://sfreaders.com.ar

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: What Lisp to use
Pupeno <······@pupeno.com> writes:
> I am trying to write some software in Lisp but I did nothing else than try
> different versions of Lisp and sbcl all day.
> [...]
> I know this is too unaccurate for any reply, but my question is: Is there
> any Lips+Slime (or another similar thing) that is stable and known to
> work ? possible on Gentoo.

I've got no problem using clisp+slime anywhere...

--
"A TRUE Klingon warrior does not comment his code!"
From: John
On 2005-08-16, Pupeno <······@pupeno.com> wrote:
>  I am trying to write some software in Lisp but I did nothing else than try
>  different versions of Lisp and sbcl all day.
>  CMUCL 19a + Slime HEAD: I couldn't get it to make sense out of (require
>  'uffi), it doesn't use asdf to load it like sbcl, but even if I previously
>  loaded it by hand, it still fails.

Works for me:

=====

mixtim ~> lisp
CL-USER> *features*

(:ASDF :GERDS-PCL :PCL-STRUCTURES :PORTABLE-COMMONLOOPS :PCL :CMU19 :CMU19B
 :PYTHON :CONSERVATIVE-FLOAT-TYPE :MODULAR-ARITH :ELF :FREEBSD4 :MP :X86
 :LINKAGE-TABLE :RELATIVE-PACKAGE-NAMES :FREEBSD :BSD :UNIX :RANDOM-MT19937
 :GENCGC :PENTIUM :I486 :HASH-NEW :HEAP-OVERFLOW-CHECK :STACK-CHECKING :COMMON
 :COMMON-LISP :ANSI-CL :IEEE-FLOATING-POINT :CMU)
CL-USER> (require 'uffi)

; /home/mixtim/usr/share/common-lisp/systems/uffi.asd into
; #<The ASDF1463 package>
; registering #<SYSTEM UFFI {4860D7CD}> as UFFI
NIL
CL-USER>

=====

To be fair, require didn't work out of the box for me either. After
setting up asdf I had to add this to my init file:

  (defun my-require-asdf-loader (name)
    (not (asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op (string-downcase name))))
  (push #'my-require-asdf-loader ext:*module-provider-functions*)

Hope that helps.
From: Pupeno
John wrote:
> mixtim ~> lisp
> CL-USER> *features*
>
> (:ASDF :GERDS-PCL :PCL-STRUCTURES :PORTABLE-COMMONLOOPS :PCL :CMU19
> :CMU19B
>  :PYTHON :CONSERVATIVE-FLOAT-TYPE :MODULAR-ARITH :ELF :FREEBSD4 :MP :X86
>  :LINKAGE-TABLE :RELATIVE-PACKAGE-NAMES :FREEBSD :BSD :UNIX
>  ::RANDOM-MT19937 GENCGC :PENTIUM :I486 :HASH-NEW :HEAP-OVERFLOW-CHECK
>  ::STACK-CHECKING :COMMON COMMON-LISP :ANSI-CL :IEEE-FLOATING-POINT :CMU)
> CL-USER> (require 'uffi)

> ; /home/mixtim/usr/share/common-lisp/systems/uffi.asd into
> ; #<The ASDF1463 package>
> ; registering #<SYSTEM UFFI {4860D7CD}> as UFFI
> NIL
> CL-USER>
>
> =====
>
> To be fair,
Thanks for being fair, I was starting to get desperate.

> require didn't work out of the box for me either. After
> setting up asdf
As far as I know, asdf was set up by my distro (Gentoo) and I can
successfully do things such as:

(asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op 'uffi)

Do you think I might be missing something ?

> I had to add this to my init file:
>
>   (defun my-require-asdf-loader (name)
>     (not (asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op (string-downcase name))))
>   (push #'my-require-asdf-loader ext:*module-provider-functions*)
I tried to just run this piece of code, but I got an error:

Reader error at 164 on #<String-Input Stream>:
The symbol "*MODULE-PROVIDER-FUNCTIONS*" is not external in the EXTENSIONS
package.
   [Condition of type LISP::READER-PACKAGE-ERROR]

Any ideas (this error doesn't mean anything to me).

Following this path I also tried the piece of code at bottom of
http://www.cliki.net/asdf which promises to do the same as yours. But it
failed with:

Reader error at 629 on #<String-Input Stream>:
The symbol "*MODULE-PROVIDER-FUNCTIONS*" is not external in the EXTENSIONS
package.
   [Condition of type LISP::READER-PACKAGE-ERROR]

What am I missing ? (aside more knowledge of common lisp and asdf).
From: John
On 2005-08-17, Pupeno <······@pupeno.com> wrote:
> > I had to add this to my init file:
> >
> >   (defun my-require-asdf-loader (name)
> >     (not (asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op (string-downcase name))))
> >   (push #'my-require-asdf-loader ext:*module-provider-functions*)
>
>  I tried to just run this piece of code, but I got an error:
>
>  Reader error at 164 on #<String-Input Stream>:
>  The symbol "*MODULE-PROVIDER-FUNCTIONS*" is not external in the EXTENSIONS
>  package.
>     [Condition of type LISP::READER-PACKAGE-ERROR]
>
>  Any ideas (this error doesn't mean anything to me).

Well, I wrote the small function I provided after reading:

  http://common-lisp.net/project/cmucl/doc/cmu-user/extensions.html#toc89

So I have no idea why you would be getting that error as its a documented
variable.
From: Pupeno
John wrote:

> On 2005-08-17, Pupeno <······@pupeno.com> wrote:
>> > I had to add this to my init file:
>> >
>> >   (defun my-require-asdf-loader (name)
>> >     (not (asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op (string-downcase name))))
>> >   (push #'my-require-asdf-loader ext:*module-provider-functions*)
>>
>>  I tried to just run this piece of code, but I got an error:
>>
>>  Reader error at 164 on #<String-Input Stream>:
>>  The symbol "*MODULE-PROVIDER-FUNCTIONS*" is not external in the
>>  EXTENSIONS package.
>>     [Condition of type LISP::READER-PACKAGE-ERROR]
>>
>>  Any ideas (this error doesn't mean anything to me).
>
> Well, I wrote the small function I provided after reading:
>
>   http://common-lisp.net/project/cmucl/doc/cmu-user/extensions.html#toc89
>
> So I have no idea why you would be getting that error as its a documented
> variable.
It seem because I was running cmucl 19a and I needed to run 19b. Now, with
19b, the piece of code at the wiki works.
Thanks.