From: pedro
Subject: Which Emacs on Mac OS X?
Hi there,

I am trying to setup a dev environment on my shiny new Mac box and I am
having a bit of trouble finding an Emacs that works properly on Tiger.
What do people aroud here use and why?

Thanks in advance,

Pedro

From: Raffael Cavallaro
Subject: Re: Which Emacs on Mac OS X?
On 2005-08-13 20:49:30 -0400, "pedro" <·········@mailinator.com> said:

> What do people aroud here use and why?

Aquamacs, because it has mac-like key bindings - for example, if you
don't want to use control-x contrtol-f to open a file, command-o
presents you with a standard mac open file dialog.

It also works well with slime and sbcl.

<http://aquamacs.org/>
From: Förster vom Silberwald
Raffael Cavallaro wrote:

> Aquamacs, because it has mac-like key bindings - for example, if you
> don't want to use control-x contrtol-f to open a file, command-o
> presents you with a standard mac open file dialog.
>
> It also works well with slime and sbcl.

It depends. My Bigloo environment Bee expects and wants the native X11
Emacs. I had to installed the X11 Emacs on my Mac OSX. Installation
worked flawlessly.

Schneewittchen
From: Harald Hanche-Olsen
+ "F�rster vom Silberwald" <··········@hotmail.com>:

| I had to installed the X11 Emacs on my Mac OSX. Installation
| worked flawlessly.

Which Emacs version (I suppose you meant GNU emacs, not xemacs)?  The
only ones I have managed to make work are kind of antique.  Sure,
installation worked, but the finished emacs would always dump core
(unless I ran it with -nw).  I forget the details - it's too
long since I gave up.  But I am not interested in anything older than
21.3.  Can I perhaps pick up the latest from CVS and expect it to
work?

- Debating gives most of us much more psychological satisfaction
  than thinking does: but it deprives us of whatever chance there is
  of getting closer to the truth.  -- C.P. Snow
From: Peter Seibel
Harald Hanche-Olsen <······@math.ntnu.no> writes:

> + "F�rster vom Silberwald" <··········@hotmail.com>:
>
> | I had to installed the X11 Emacs on my Mac OSX. Installation
> | worked flawlessly.
>
> Which Emacs version (I suppose you meant GNU emacs, not xemacs)?  The
> only ones I have managed to make work are kind of antique.  Sure,
> installation worked, but the finished emacs would always dump core
> (unless I ran it with -nw).  I forget the details - it's too
> long since I gave up.  But I am not interested in anything older than
> 21.3.  Can I perhaps pick up the latest from CVS and expect it to
> work?

Yes. Grab the latest from CVS. Go to the mac/ directory and run

  ./make-package --self-contained

This will eventually produce an EmacsInstaller.dmg in the mac/
directory which you can move wherever (or not) and double click to run
the installer which will install an Emacs.app in /Applications/ that
has everything you need and which you can uninstall by dragging
Emacs.app to the Trash.

-Peter

P.S. Modulo, of course, the possibility that at any given moment you
grab the latest CVS sources there *could* be a bug. But in my
experience they are almost always in pretty good shape lately.

--
Peter Seibel           * ·····@gigamonkeys.com
From: Harald Hanche-Olsen
+ Peter Seibel <·····@gigamonkeys.com>:

| Harald Hanche-Olsen <······@math.ntnu.no> writes:
|
| > + "F�rster vom Silberwald" <··········@hotmail.com>:
| >
| > | I had to installed the X11 Emacs on my Mac OSX. Installation
| > | worked flawlessly.
| >
| > Can I perhaps pick up the latest from CVS and expect it to work?
|
| Yes. Grab the latest from CVS. Go to the mac/ directory and run
|
|   ./make-package --self-contained

I thought that only made the aqua/quartz/carbon/whatever version.
The question was about an X11 version of emacs.  Did you mean to say
that this procedure produces such a beast?

From: Peter Seibel
Harald Hanche-Olsen <······@math.ntnu.no> writes:

> + Peter Seibel <·····@gigamonkeys.com>:
>
> | Harald Hanche-Olsen <······@math.ntnu.no> writes:

> | > Can I perhaps pick up the latest from CVS and expect it to work?
> |
> | Yes. Grab the latest from CVS. Go to the mac/ directory and run
> |
> |   ./make-package --self-contained
>
> I thought that only made the aqua/quartz/carbon/whatever version.
> The question was about an X11 version of emacs.  Did you mean to say
> that this procedure produces such a beast?

Oh, whoops. Sorry. I missed that bit. In that case it looks like a:

  ./configure --without-carbon --with-x

from the top-level directory should do the trick but I haven't tried
it myself. (Just out of curiosity, do you want an X11 build because
you want to be able to use an Emacs running on a Mac from a remote X
Server? Or is there some other reason that I'm not thinking of.)

-Peter

--
Peter Seibel           * ·····@gigamonkeys.com
From: Harald Hanche-Olsen
+ Peter Seibel <·····@gigamonkeys.com>:

| Harald Hanche-Olsen <······@math.ntnu.no> writes:
|
| > I thought that only made the aqua/quartz/carbon/whatever version.
| > The question was about an X11 version of emacs.  Did you mean to say
| > that this procedure produces such a beast?
|
| Oh, whoops. Sorry. I missed that bit. In that case it looks like a:
|
|   ./configure --without-carbon --with-x
|
| from the top-level directory should do the trick but I haven't tried
| it myself.

Yes, that is what the docs say, and that is a build that apparently
succeeds but produces an emacs that dumps core if you try to run it
under X11.  Or used to, anyway.

| (Just out of curiosity, do you want an X11 build because you want to
| be able to use an Emacs running on a Mac from a remote X Server? Or
| is there some other reason that I'm not thinking of.)

Partly it's habit.  I feel much more at home in an X11 environment
than in the Mac GUI world, though admittedly the latter is probably
technically superior and certainly has some nifty features.  But
several applications I often use only run under X11, such as gimp and
ghostview.  I find that it works much better to run X11 in full screen
mode, but then cut-and-paste between X11 apps and others is
inconvenient and doesn't even work reliably, so it is much easier if
the local emacs runs in X11 when I need to work with other X11 apps.
Which typically includes an emacs or xterm running remotely.  Yet
another reason to run an X11 emacs is that I am having some trouble
finding suitable monospaced Mac fonts with a sufficient character
repertoire for my needs:  I can't stand Courier, so I'm using Monaco.
However it doesn't even cover all of Latin-1.  Bummer.  Oh wait, I
just checked again, and at least I now see that the font does have
some of the problematic ones, like �, �, �.  But the aqua emacs
displays them as <, =, >.  Oh well.  The thing is that within X11 I at
least would have some notion what to do about such things.

From: Brian Downing
> + Peter Seibel <·····@gigamonkeys.com>:
> | (Just out of curiosity, do you want an X11 build because you want to
> | be able to use an Emacs running on a Mac from a remote X Server? Or
> | is there some other reason that I'm not thinking of.)

I can't speak for Harald, but I find the X11 version to run much faster
than the Carbon version.  On my Mac (500Mhz Tibook) this is noticable
and is an issue to me.

Also, the X11 version is more complete.  (i.e., tooltips work, useful
for Slime compiler notes.)

In article <···············@shuttle.math.ntnu.no>,
Harald Hanche-Olsen  <······@math.ntnu.no> wrote:
> Yet another reason to run an X11 emacs is that I am having some
> trouble finding suitable monospaced Mac fonts with a sufficient
> character repertoire for my needs:  I can't stand Courier, so I'm
> using Monaco.

Bitstream Vera Sans Mono comes highly recommended from much of the Lisp
community.  See http://www.gnome.org/fonts/ to get it.

-bcd
--
*** Brian Downing <bdowning at lavos dot net>
From: Förster vom Silberwald
Harald Hanche-Olsen wrote:

> Yes, that is what the docs say, and that is a build that apparently
> succeeds but produces an emacs that dumps core if you try to run it
> under X11.  Or used to, anyway.

Checked my version: it says: GNU Emacs 21.3.50 (powerpc-apple-darwin
7.0.0, Motif Version 2.1.30) of 2004-03-12.

My Panther Mac OSX: 10.3.9 (or thereabaout).

I can send you my binaries of my gnu Emacs. However, I am not sure
whether it will be useful (the whole Emacs folde counts 260 MB,
though).

Schneewittchen
From: David Magda
"F�rster vom Silberwald" <··········@hotmail.com> writes:

> Harald Hanche-Olsen wrote:
>
>> Yes, that is what the docs say, and that is a build that apparently
>> succeeds but produces an emacs that dumps core if you try to run it
>> under X11.  Or used to, anyway.
>
> Checked my version: it says: GNU Emacs 21.3.50 (powerpc-apple-darwin
> 7.0.0, Motif Version 2.1.30) of 2004-03-12.

Instead of using the X11 version under OS X, why not try the native
Carbon interface:

http://home.att.ne.jp/alpha/z123/emacs-mac-e.html

Some information and hints on the EmacsWiki:

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs-en/CarbonEmacsPackage

--
David Magda <dmagda at ee.ryerson.ca>
From: Förster vom Silberwald
David Magda wrote:

> Instead of using the X11 version under OS X, why not try the native
> Carbon interface:
>
> http://home.att.ne.jp/alpha/z123/emacs-mac-e.html
>
> Some information and hints on the EmacsWiki:
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs-en/CarbonEmacsPackage

I have both of them installed on my Mac OSX. However, I definitely need
the X11 version because Bigloo its development environment Bee needs
it!

I use Bigloo nearly every day. However, my Emacs knowledge is more or
less zero (I know 5 key kombinations and use most of the time the
mouse). So, my requirements on Emacs are tiny.  Additionally there is
the goody that I have got the same Emacs version on: Unix (Sun OS),
Ubuntu Linux, and my ibook at home.

Schneewittchen
From: Harald Hanche-Olsen
+ David Magda <··················@ee.ryerson.ca>:

| Instead of using the X11 version under OS X, why not try the native
| Carbon interface:

I'm already using.  Some reasons for wanting the X11 version have
already been discussed in this thread.  I'm not going to repeat
myself, particarly as it is somewhat off topic.

From: Förster vom Silberwald
Harald Hanche-Olsen wrote:
> + "Förster vom Silberwald" <··········@hotmail.com>:
>
> | I had to installed the X11 Emacs on my Mac OSX. Installation
> | worked flawlessly.
>
> Which Emacs version (I suppose you meant GNU emacs, not xemacs)?  The
> only ones I have managed to make work are kind of antique.  Sure,
> installation worked, but the finished emacs would always dump core
> (unless I ran it with -nw).  I forget the details - it's too
> long since I gave up.  But I am not interested in anything older than
> 21.3.  Can I perhaps pick up the latest from CVS and expect it to
> work?

The link has been already posted in this thread:

http://members.shaw.ca/akochoi -emacs/stories/obtaining-and-b
uilding.html

However, I cannot tell you whether the version in the link is higher or
lower than 21.3. Although, the Emacs from the link worked in my case
(okay, I installed it 1 1/2 years ago).

When I am at home I will have a quick look at my ibook and look up the
Emacs version.

Schneewittchen
PS: As Peter told you: use the option "X11". I cannot exactly remember,
though, I believe it worked for me. Must be since I have a X11 version
running (no XEmacs) exactly the same as under my Ubuntu Linux.