From: Nikhil Ketkar
Subject: Lisp Thesaurus
When I need to have some functionality first thing I do is try to find
if Lisp already has something similar built in. I have to spend a lot
of time doing this.
The Common Lisp HyperSpec is useful but it has a dictionary way of
organizing the information.What I would like to have is to have
information organised like thesaurus where I start looking for what I
want to do and get the constructs relevant to it. Consider a trival
example, I have to write a simple program that uses Huffman encoding to
compress a file. For this I would need to operate at a bit level. I
need to know what constructs Lisp has to get the job done. The way I do
it right now is look up the HyperSpec and try to figure this out. But I
find that the information is not organised to help such a job. Is in
there but difficult to find. A book like Common Lisp: The Reference
helps, but again, the way information is organised is like 'if you know
what its called you can get information about it'.
Does anyone know of a resource that has information organised like a
thesaurus ?
Or atleast with a good search like most SDK's have???

Nikhil Ketkar

From: Thomas A. Russ
Subject: Re: Lisp Thesaurus
"Nikhil Ketkar" <············@gmail.com> writes:

Well, for starters, I would try looking at the "Table of Contents",
rather than the "Index" of the Hyperspec.  It still doesn't help with
your particular example of finding the stuff on Huffman encoding,
because the information on byte-level operations is buried in the
section on "Numbers", which may not be where you expect it.

However, looking through a full outline of the Table of Contents
probably comes a lot closer to the sort of topic organization than
anything else you could quickly find.

From: Tayssir John Gabbour
Nikhil Ketkar wrote:
> When I need to have some functionality first thing I do is try to
find
> if Lisp already has something similar built in. I have to spend a lot
> of time doing this.
> The Common Lisp HyperSpec is useful but it has a dictionary way of
> organizing the information.What I would like to have is to have
> information organised like thesaurus where I start looking for what I
> want to do and get the constructs relevant to it. Consider a trival
> example, I have to write a simple program that uses Huffman encoding
> compress a file. For this I would need to operate at a bit level. I
> need to know what constructs Lisp has to get the job done.

The best thing about Paul Graham's ANSI CL book is the reference in the
back, which seems to be what you want.

I thought Peter's book should have one too, but I guess the reason for
not including it was competition with the upcoming Margolies book.
From: Frank Buss
"Nikhil Ketkar" <············@gmail.com> wrote:

> Or atleast with a good search like most SDK's have???

I have the spec as a precompiled help file (chm, found somewhere on
Internet). This helps, if you are using Windows:

http://www.frank-buss.de/tmp/clhs.chm

--
Frank Bu�, ··@frank-buss.de
From: Edi Weitz
On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 15:57:15 +0000 (UTC), Frank Buss <··@frank-buss.de> wrote:

> I have the spec as a precompiled help file (chm, found somewhere on
> Internet). This helps, if you are using Windows:
>
> http://www.frank-buss.de/tmp/clhs.chm

Did you get permission from Harlequin, Xanalys, or LispWorks to
distribute it like that?  It's probably well-meant but that doesn't
make it legal.  Also, are you sure you're distributing the current
version (7.0)?

Cheers,
Edi.

--

Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.

From: Frank Buss
Edi Weitz <········@agharta.de> wrote:

> Did you get permission from Harlequin, Xanalys, or LispWorks to
> distribute it like that?  It's probably well-meant but that doesn't
> make it legal.  Also, are you sure you're distributing the current
> version (7.0)?

no, I found the source again:

For me it looks like that someone has compiled the HTML files. But you are
right, perhaps it is not allowed, so I've deleted it from my server.

--
Frank Bu�, ··@frank-buss.de
From: Pascal Bourguignon
Frank Buss <··@frank-buss.de> writes:

> Edi Weitz <········@agharta.de> wrote:
>
>> Did you get permission from Harlequin, Xanalys, or LispWorks to
>> distribute it like that?  It's probably well-meant but that doesn't
>> make it legal.  Also, are you sure you're distributing the current
>> version (7.0)?
>
> no, I found the source again:

> For me it looks like that someone has compiled the HTML files. But you are
> right, perhaps it is not allowed, so I've deleted it from my server.

But note that nothing prevents you to distribute the program you used
to generate this file from the HTML.  (Assuming you own it).

Litter box not here.
You must have moved it again.
I'll poop in the sink.
From: Paolo Amoroso
"Nikhil Ketkar" <············@gmail.com> writes:

> organizing the information.What I would like to have is to have
> information organised like thesaurus where I start looking for what I
> want to do and get the constructs relevant to it. Consider a trival
> example, I have to write a simple program that uses Huffman encoding to
> compress a file. For this I would need to operate at a bit level. I
> need to know what constructs Lisp has to get the job done. The way I do

Try this form at your favorite Lisp listener:

  (apropos "BIT" :cl)

or just:

  (apropos "BIT")

if you are not interested in portability.

Paolo
Recommended Common Lisp libraries/tools (see also http://clrfi.alu.org):
- ASDF/ASDF-INSTALL: system building/installation
- CL-PPCRE: regular expressions
- UFFI: Foreign Function Interface
From: s
Hi.

1. Sometimes google can help, for example try:

http://www.google.com/search?q=bit+operations+lisp

2. Common Lisp Cookbook -- http://cl-cookbook.sourceforge.net

3. read this thread:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.lisp/browse_frm/thread/6d7e3e625ef72a4c/8a20d4d4fbb9c5c5?tvc=1&q=permutated+index+group:comp.lang.lisp&hl=en#8a20d4d4fbb9c5c5