From: GP lisper
Subject: On Lisp: the 6 keystones of Lisp
Trying to get a handle on CLOS, I grabbed my Kinkos copy of "On Lisp"
and jumped far ahead to the CLOS chapter.  In section 25.1, there is a
footnote (which in the .pdf version is for page 349) which reads:

"Efforts to sum up Lisp in a single phrase are probably doomed to
failure, because the power of Lisp arises from the combination of at
least five or six features."

OK, I can think of

1 extensibility

2 garbage collection

3 functions as a type

4 ...  oh-oh out of newbie guesses

--
Everyman has three hearts;
one to show the world, one to show friends, and one only he knows.

From: Tayssir John Gabbour
Subject: Re: On Lisp: the 6 keystones of Lisp
GP lisper wrote:
> Trying to get a handle on CLOS, I grabbed my Kinkos copy of "On Lisp"
> and jumped far ahead to the CLOS chapter.  In section 25.1, there
> is a footnote (which in the .pdf version is for page 349) which
> reads:
>
> "Efforts to sum up Lisp in a single phrase are probably doomed to
> failure, because the power of Lisp arises from the combination of
> at least five or six features."
>
> OK, I can think of
>
> 1 extensibility
>
> 2 garbage collection
>
> 3 functions as a type
>
> 4 ...  oh-oh out of newbie guesses

More ideas...
- different scopes/extents
- you can interact with lisp at different times (read/compile/etc)
- compiler macros
- optional type declarations
- well-thought out primitive types like featureful arrays
- system utilities like apropos

I vaguely recall António Menezes Leitão mentioned unusual uses for
compiler macros.
http://lisp.tech.coop/Paper#leitao

Maybe here?
http://www.gia.ist.utl.pt/~aml/Links/readable-efficient.ps
From: =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Andr=E9_Thieme?=
GP lisper schrieb:
> Trying to get a handle on CLOS, I grabbed my Kinkos copy of "On Lisp"
> and jumped far ahead to the CLOS chapter.  In section 25.1, there is a
> footnote (which in the .pdf version is for page 349) which reads:
>
> "Efforts to sum up Lisp in a single phrase are probably doomed to
> failure, because the power of Lisp arises from the combination of at
> least five or six features."
>
> OK, I can think of
>
> 1 extensibility
>
> 2 garbage collection
>
> 3 functions as a type

I would add: equality between code and data.
Another good thing is that you always have the full language available.
I could write a program that creates some data at runtime which is then
seen as code and gets compiled while the program is running.

Andr�
From: Edi Weitz
On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 04:33:04 -0700, GP lisper <········@CloudDancer.com> wrote:

> Trying to get a handle on CLOS, I grabbed my Kinkos copy of "On
> Lisp" and jumped far ahead to the CLOS chapter.  In section 25.1,
> there is a footnote (which in the .pdf version is for page 349)
> which reads:
>
> "Efforts to sum up Lisp in a single phrase are probably doomed to
> failure, because the power of Lisp arises from the combination of at
> least five or six features."
>
> OK, I can think of
>
> 1 extensibility
>
> 2 garbage collection
>
> 3 functions as a type
>
> 4 ...  oh-oh out of newbie guesses

Graham himself has in the meantime made that nine instead of six:

  <http://www.paulgraham.com/diff.html>

Cheers,
Edi.

--