From: jonathon
Subject: Lisp GUIs
I've been checking out LispWorks and Allegro Lisp on Windows and
FreeBSD.  Only Allegro runs on FreeBSD, but I wasn't able to get the
IDE to come up.  I liked the environment on Windows, but ultimately, my
projects need to run in both.

Is the CLIM the best multi-platform GUI to use at the moment?  I was
also reading on Garnet and on how old the project is.  Have there been
any plans made for a replacement?  I really like GTK under Python, but
I'm still not sure which of the Lisp GTK projects is most advanced.

jonathon

From: Wade Humeniuk
Subject: Re: Lisp GUIs
jonathon wrote:
> I've been checking out LispWorks and Allegro Lisp on Windows and
> FreeBSD.  Only Allegro runs on FreeBSD, but I wasn't able to get the
> IDE to come up.  I liked the environment on Windows, but ultimately, my
> projects need to run in both.

I have LispWorks 4.3.7 for Linux running on my home FreeBSD system.  It runs
great under Linux emulation, you just have to make sure you have
the proper Linux X and Motif libraries installed in the /usr/compat/linux/lib/
directory.  I use openmotif, the LispWorks executable will tell you if you
have a recent enough version installed.  Also I have installed the RH 8.0
linux compatible package.  FreeBSD 4.10.  Also I got better motif lispworks
resource settings from the LispWorks ftp site.

ftp://ftp.lispworks.com/pub/software_tools/contrib/Xresources/stephane.perrot/

Wade
From: jonathon
Wade Humeniuk wrote:
> jonathon wrote:
> > I've been checking out LispWorks and Allegro Lisp on Windows and
> > FreeBSD.  Only Allegro runs on FreeBSD, but I wasn't able to get
the
> > IDE to come up.  I liked the environment on Windows, but
ultimately, my
> > projects need to run in both.
> >

> I have LispWorks 4.3.7 for Linux running on my home FreeBSD system.
It runs
> great under Linux emulation, you just have to make sure you have
> the proper Linux X and Motif libraries installed in the
/usr/compat/linux/lib/
> directory.  I use openmotif, the LispWorks executable will tell you
if you
> have a recent enough version installed.  Also I have installed the RH
8.0
> linux compatible package.  FreeBSD 4.10.  Also I got better motif
lispworks
> resource settings from the LispWorks ftp site.

What binary do you run for the GUI/IDE?
From: Wade Humeniuk
jonathon wrote:

> What binary do you run for the GUI/IDE?

You just run the standard installed binary that comes with LWL.
The Linux version of Lispworks has pretty well the same IDE
as the Windows version and the same GUI, CAPI.

Wade
From: Kenny Tilton
jonathon wrote:
> I've been checking out LispWorks and Allegro Lisp on Windows and
> FreeBSD.  Only Allegro runs on FreeBSD, but I wasn't able to get the
> IDE to come up.  I liked the environment on Windows, but ultimately, my
> projects need to run in both.
>
> Is the CLIM the best multi-platform GUI to use at the moment?  I was
> also reading on Garnet and on how old the project is.  Have there been
> any plans made for a replacement?  I really like GTK under Python, but
> I'm still not sure which of the Lisp GTK projects is most advanced.

There are a couple of good choices. I see AllegroCL now ships with Gtk
bindings. But this is the only one with Cells Inside(tm):

    http://common-lisp.net/project/cells-gtk/

I know nothing of Gtk, but apparently this package (originally done by
Vasilis Margioulas) makes Gtk even nicer by automating some of the work.
Vasilis included a boatload of examples so you should be able to hit the
ground running (except you have to email me for help with Cells since
there is no doc).

kenny

--
Cells? Cello? Cells-Gtk?: http://www.common-lisp.net/project/cells/

"Doctor, I wrestled with reality for forty years, and I am happy to
state that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
From: Pascal Bourguignon
"jonathon" <···········@bigfoot.com> writes:
> [...]
> I was
> also reading on Garnet and on how old the project is.  Have there been
> any plans made for a replacement?

Why do you want to replace a perfectly good GUI?

As for the look, Garnet can be configured to look almost like
NeXTSTEP, and looks are like the fashion, they'll come back to the
NeXTSTEP loop when they'll be fed up with the whitish Aqua windows.
In any case, one can write easily enough a new look for Garnet if
needed.

Nobody can fix the economy.  Nobody can be trusted with their finger
on the button.  Nobody's perfect.  VOTE FOR NOBODY.
From: Kenny Tilton
Pascal Bourguignon wrote:

> "jonathon" <···········@bigfoot.com> writes:
>
>>[...]
>>I was
>>also reading on Garnet and on how old the project is.  Have there been
>>any plans made for a replacement?
>

> Why do you want to replace a perfectly good GUI?

To get an object model within a light-year or two of CLOS?

kt

From: Pascal Bourguignon

> Pascal Bourguignon wrote:
>
>> "jonathon" <···········@bigfoot.com> writes:
>>
>>>[...]
>>>I was
>>>also reading on Garnet and on how old the project is.  Have there been
>>> any plans made for a replacement?
>> Why do you want to replace a perfectly good GUI?
>
> To get an object model within a light-year or two of CLOS?

CLOS has metaclasses.  So different object models is to be expected
within CLOS too.

There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not
want merely because you think it would be good for him. -- Robert Heinlein
From: Kenny Tilton
Pascal Bourguignon wrote:

> Kenny Tilton <·······@nyc.rr.com> writes:
>

>>Pascal Bourguignon wrote:

>>>Why do you want to replace a perfectly good GUI?
>>
>>To get an object model within a light-year or two of CLOS?
>

> CLOS has metaclasses.  So different object models is to be expected
> within CLOS too.

What has that got to do with Garnet being based on a non-CLOS object
system? CLOS (with non-standardized MOP, btw) might do a fine job of
implementing a prototype-based object model, but that does not mean
Garnet's class hierarchy can be extended by an application programmer
with CLOS classes.

All technobullshit aside, Garnet fans tell me that this situation is the
only thing they do not like about Garnet. Sounds like a reasonable
objection to "perfectly good", one of which the OP should and seems
already to be aware.

kt

From: lin8080
Hallo

Found this:

 WORKSHOP
 HAREM 2005
 HUMAN ACTIVITY RECOGNITION AND MODELLING

 September 9th, 2005
    Oxford, UK

 http://www.isr.ist.utl.pt/~jasv/harem2005