From: Patrick May
Subject: SBCL 0.9 sb-thread:make-thread missing?
Hello,

     I just built and installed SBCL 0.9 and am having trouble
creating threads:

* (sb-thread:make-thread (lambda () 'foo))

debugger invoked on a UNDEFINED-FUNCTION in thread 10867:
  The function SB-THREAD:MAKE-THREAD is undefined.

Type HELP for debugger help, or (SB-EXT:QUIT) to exit from SBCL.

restarts (invokable by number or by possibly-abbreviated name):
  0: [ABORT] Exit debugger, returning to top level.

(SYMBOL-FUNCTION SB-THREAD:MAKE-THREAD)
0]

I'm sure the cause is a simple mistake on my part.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Patrick

S P Engineering, Inc.    | The experts in large scale distributed OO
          ···@spe.com    | (C++, Java, ObjectStore, Oracle, CORBA, UML)

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: SBCL 0.9 sb-thread:make-thread missing?
Patrick May <···@spe.com> writes:
>      I just built and installed SBCL 0.9 and am having trouble
> creating threads:
> [...]
> debugger invoked on a UNDEFINED-FUNCTION in thread 10867:
>   The function SB-THREAD:MAKE-THREAD is undefined.
> [...]
> I'm sure the cause is a simple mistake on my part.  Any suggestions?

Threads are available only on ix86 linux 2.6 with NPTL.

Until real software engineering is developed, the next best practice
is to develop with a dynamic system that has extreme late binding in
all aspects. The first system to really do this in an important way
is Lisp. -- Alan Kay
From: Patrick May
Pascal Bourguignon <···@informatimago.com> writes:
> Patrick May <···@spe.com> writes:
> >      I just built and installed SBCL 0.9 and am having trouble
> > creating threads:
> > [...]
> > debugger invoked on a UNDEFINED-FUNCTION in thread 10867:
> >   The function SB-THREAD:MAKE-THREAD is undefined.
> > [...]
> > I'm sure the cause is a simple mistake on my part.  Any suggestions?
>
> Threads are available only on ix86 linux 2.6 with NPTL.

     Thanks for the quick reply.  I just realized I hadn't specified
my platform and was going to rectify the situation.  I'm running
Fedora Core 3, kernel 2.6.11-1.14_FC3.  'getconf
GNU_LIBPTHREAD_VERSION' returns "NPTL 2.3.5".  What else could I be
missing?

Thanks again,

Patrick
From: Pascal Bourguignon
Patrick May <···@spe.com> writes:

> Pascal Bourguignon <···@informatimago.com> writes:
>> Patrick May <···@spe.com> writes:
>> >      I just built and installed SBCL 0.9 and am having trouble
>> > creating threads:
>> > [...]
>> > debugger invoked on a UNDEFINED-FUNCTION in thread 10867:
>> >   The function SB-THREAD:MAKE-THREAD is undefined.
>> > [...]
>> > I'm sure the cause is a simple mistake on my part.  Any suggestions?
>>
>> Threads are available only on ix86 linux 2.6 with NPTL.
>
>      Thanks for the quick reply.  I just realized I hadn't specified
> my platform and was going to rectify the situation.  I'm running
> Fedora Core 3, kernel 2.6.11-1.14_FC3.  'getconf
> GNU_LIBPTHREAD_VERSION' returns "NPTL 2.3.5".  What else could I be
> missing?

Well, then it should be available.
Did you compile it yourself?

Try to compile it; follow the instructions in the INSTALL file, section
"2. SOURCE DISTRIBUTION", in particular "2.2. Customizing SBCL".

You should write a file customize-target-features.lisp containing:

(lambda (features)
  (flet ((enable  (x) (pushnew x features))
         (disable (x) (setf features (remove x features))))
    (enable :sb-thread) ; Threading support, available on x86 Linux only.
    ;; add your other customizations.
    features))

From: Patrick May
Pascal Bourguignon <···@informatimago.com> writes:
> You should write a file customize-target-features.lisp containing:
>
> (lambda (features)
>   (flet ((enable  (x) (pushnew x features))
>          (disable (x) (setf features (remove x features))))
>     (enable :sb-thread) ; Threading support, available on x86 Linux only.
>     ;; add your other customizations.
>     features))

     That was it, thanks!  For anyone following along at home, this is
mentioned in the INSTALL file, but in the section _after_ the build
instructions.  This file has to be present at build time (not
surprisingly).

Thanks again,

Patrick