From: markandeya
Subject: cross platform code and gui thru allegroCL and lispworks
Dear friends of Lisp,
I am one of those awful Newbies. i wish to write my small to medium
size  programs once and compile for different platforms. Using the two
biggie commercial programs can one use the same code whether written
in their windows or linux versions to comile for either platform??

And can one create a gui in one version, either linux or windows and
use that code to compile in the other platform?? Is it really cross
platform??

If one uses clim2.0 to make a gui is that portable to windows and
Linux?

If so then if a gui is made in their fancy gui builders in their
windows versions will it be cross platform code??
Thanks

From: Kenny Tilton
markandeya wrote:
> Dear friends of Lisp,
> I am one of those awful Newbies. i wish to write my small to medium
> size  programs once and compile for different platforms. Using the two
> biggie commercial programs can one use the same code whether written
> in their windows or linux versions to comile for either platform??

Lispworks yes, ALlegroCL no(t the last time I looked).

> And can one create a gui in one version, either linux or windows and
> use that code to compile in the other platform?? Is it really cross
> platform??

I am only reporting what others have said: yes, they had excellent luck
with Lispworks.

> If one uses clim2.0 to make a gui is that portable to windows and
> Linux?

(a) I doubt it.
(b) CLIM bites

kt

--
Cells? Cello? Cells-Gtk?: http://www.common-lisp.net/project/cells/

"Doctor, I wrestled with reality for forty years, and I am happy to
state that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
From: Edi Weitz
On 23 Apr 2005 08:40:52 -0700, ·········@sriaurobindoashram.com (markandeya) wrote:

> I am one of those awful Newbies. i wish to write my small to medium
> size programs once and compile for different platforms. Using the
> two biggie commercial programs can one use the same code whether
> written in their windows or linux versions to comile for either
> platform??

Yes, unless you're using functionality that is explicitely documented
as being specific to a particular OS or processor type.

> And can one create a gui in one version, either linux or windows and
> use that code to compile in the other platform?? Is it really cross
> platform??

For LispWorks you can basically create GUI (CAPI) code on one
supported platform and then compile it on another platform without
modifications.  Download the Personal Editions for the platforms
you're interested in and try it yourself.

Again, if you use extensions explicitely documented as being, say,
Windows-only it's obvious they won't work on Mac OS, or Linux, or
Solaris.  There aren't many of them, though.

For one example of a cross-platform GUI see this app which uses
identical code for the Windows and Linux versions:

  <http://weitz.de/regex-coach/>

AllegroCL doesn't have a cross-platform GUI facility AFAIK.

> If one uses clim2.0 to make a gui is that portable to windows and
> Linux?

I guess so but I've never done it.

> If so then if a gui is made in their fancy gui builders in their
> windows versions will it be cross platform code??

Which "fancy gui builders" do you mean?  If you're talking about the
LispWorks Interface Builder - yes, it creates CAPI code which is
cross-platform, see above.

Cheers,
Edi.

--

Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.

From: Duane Rettig
Edi Weitz <········@agharta.de> writes:

> AllegroCL doesn't have a cross-platform GUI facility AFAIK.

That's about to change.  Take a look at our website, the first
bullet on what's new for April.

From: Kenny Tilton
Duane Rettig wrote:
> Edi Weitz <········@agharta.de> writes:
>

>>AllegroCL doesn't have a cross-platform GUI facility AFAIK.
>

> That's about to change.  Take a look at our website, the first
> bullet on what's new for April.

Damn. I was hoping for Mac OS X. Hmmm, does that qualify as "other Unix
platforms"?

kenny

From: Duane Rettig

> Duane Rettig wrote:
> > Edi Weitz <········@agharta.de> writes:
> >

> >>AllegroCL doesn't have a cross-platform GUI facility AFAIK.
> > That's about to change.  Take a look at our website, the first
>
> > bullet on what's new for April.
> >

> Damn. I was hoping for Mac OS X. Hmmm, does that qualify as "other
> Unix platforms"?

As a unix weanie, I'd say yes, if the proper gtk level is available.
But as a Mac user, I'd say no - the gtk look-and-feel is not the
same as the Mac look-and-feel - I've been pushing for a carbon/cocoa
port as well.  The gtk version takes precedence, of course, because
it is more universal.  But, as has always been the case, we tend to
establish priorities based on customer feedback and outright contracts,
so for you and other customers: keep the feedback (and money) coming:-)
(though frankly, it is much more effective when coming directly to us
than when stated in open fora like this).

From: Edi Weitz
On 25 Apr 2005 15:28:11 -0700, Duane Rettig <·····@franz.com> wrote:

> That's about to change.  Take a look at our website, the first
> bullet on what's new for April.

I read that some days ago but somehow forgot - sorry for that.  So you
only need to add OS X, Solaris, HP-UX, and OSF 1 and then you're on
par with LispWorks... :)

Cheers,
Edi.

--

Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.

From: Duane Rettig
Edi Weitz <········@agharta.de> writes:

> On 25 Apr 2005 15:28:11 -0700, Duane Rettig <·····@franz.com> wrote:
>
> > That's about to change.  Take a look at our website, the first
> > bullet on what's new for April.
>
> I read that some days ago but somehow forgot - sorry for that.  So you
> only need to add OS X, Solaris, HP-UX, and OSF 1 and then you're on
> par with LispWorks... :)

That will be easy, as long as it runs the proper level of gtk.