From: Eric Lavigne
Subject: meaning of OP
I have seen the term OP many times in this newsgroup (and never
elsewhere). It seems to refer to the person who starts a thread. What
is the meaning of OP and what do the letters stand for?

From: alex goldman
Subject: Re: meaning of OP
Eric Lavigne wrote:

> I have seen the term OP many times in this newsgroup (and never
> elsewhere). It seems to refer to the person who starts a thread. What
> is the meaning of OP and what do the letters stand for?

Operating Procedure. All ACM members are given those, but we are under NDA
as to the contents.
From: Kevin Prigge
In article <·······················@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
Eric Lavigne <············@gmail.com> wrote:
>I have seen the term OP many times in this newsgroup (and never
>elsewhere). It seems to refer to the person who starts a thread. What
>is the meaning of OP and what do the letters stand for?

Original Poster.
From: David Golden
Eric Lavigne wrote:

> I have seen the term OP many times in this newsgroup (and never
> elsewhere). It seems to refer to the person who starts a thread. What
> is the meaning of OP and what do the letters stand for?

Obnoxious Prick.  Prick is a British slang term for penis, used like
"dick" as an insult when applied to a person. The use of "OP"
originally became popular on the net way back when british domains
started with the country code instead of finishing with it. As lisp
is a very old language, the use of the archaic "OP" on this newsgroup is
just part of the olde worlde charm.
From: John Thingstad
On 21 Apr 2005 13:11:32 -0700, Eric Lavigne <············@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have seen the term OP many times in this newsgroup (and never
> elsewhere). It seems to refer to the person who starts a thread. What
> is the meaning of OP and what do the letters stand for?

Object oriented programming. (OP)

From: Ulrich Hobelmann
John Thingstad wrote:
> Object oriented programming. (OP)

Obviously Problematic

--
No man is good enough to govern another man without that other's
consent. -- Abraham Lincoln
From: André Thieme
Eric Lavigne schrieb:
> I have seen the term OP many times in this newsgroup (and never
> elsewhere). It seems to refer to the person who starts a thread. What
> is the meaning of OP and what do the letters stand for?

Your assumption is right and Kevin Prigges answer correct.
The original poster - the person who started a thread (or subthread).

Andr�
From: Christopher C. Stacy
Andr� Thieme <······························@justmail.de> writes:

> Eric Lavigne schrieb:
> > I have seen the term OP many times in this newsgroup (and never
> > elsewhere). It seems to refer to the person who starts a thread. What
> > is the meaning of OP and what do the letters stand for?
> >

> Your assumption is right and Kevin Prigges answer correct.
> The original poster - the person who started a thread (or subthread).

I thought it meant that he would figure out the answer in polynomial time.
From: Kenny Tilton
Eric Lavigne wrote:
> I have seen the term OP many times in this newsgroup (and never
> elsewhere). It seems to refer to the person who starts a thread. What
> is the meaning of OP and what do the letters stand for?

depending on context, original post (article) or original poster.

kt

--
Cells? Cello? Cells-Gtk?: http://www.common-lisp.net/project/cells/

"Doctor, I wrestled with reality for forty years, and I am happy to
state that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
From: Rob Warnock
Kenny Tilton  <·······@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
+---------------
| Eric Lavigne wrote:
| > I have seen the term OP many times in this newsgroup (and never
| > elsewhere). It seems to refer to the person who starts a thread. What
| > is the meaning of OP and what do the letters stand for?
|
| depending on context, original post (article) or original poster.

Or sometimes (again, depending on context) "other poster"
[as a shorthand for "that other guy but I forgot his name].

But as Kenny said, "original poster" is the usual default meaning.

-Rob

-----
Rob Warnock			<····@rpw3.org>
627 26th Avenue			<URL:http://rpw3.org/>